All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Well holy sh*t! I can't believe it!

Adultery

Thanks for the share, River City Ransom is legendary!

I remember being about 7 years old and me and everybody else had a copy of it but Im pretty sure it was called Street Gangs in Europe. Good Times :)

The name Street Gangs is so lame!

Dude, you've got to check out River City Ransom Han! It's one of the baddest games available for the NES. I'm aware of no other game in which you punch a dude and he literally says, "BARF!". I mean you punch the guy so hard he literally throws up! Mortal Kombat ain't got nothing on that! In all seriousness though the game combines a solid Beat Em Up with RPG elements and bakes it to perfection. Without laying it on too terribly thick, I'd definitely consider this one of the unsung masterpieces of the NES era.

33720-122606-33720122597barfjpg468xjpg-4

Actually RCR is part of a much larger series of games called Kunio Kun in Japan. The larger series includes all sorts of disparate games from Renegade to Nintendo World Cup. But RCR is a real jewel in the series crown. You should check it out if only for the legacy it spawned and the memes it's generated over the years.

BARF!

To be fair, Technos could do no wrong in the NES days. Remember Super Dodge Ball? Crash & The Boys? But yeah, River City Ransom was my absolute favorite NES game, no question

I may just try that if I ever actually get around to buying something off Steam. All my money is tied up in house records on Discogs lately. I've been selling off my old LPs and 45s to buy new records to mix with. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to mention that the Kickstarter campaign for River City Ransom: Underground is pulling into its final week, and they're still looking to raise a decent chunk of change. If this is a project that interests you, it might be worthwhile to pitch in a couple bucks. I'm hoping this one sees the light of day.

If you're looking for a bit of instant gratification in this game genre, Fist Puncher is 50% off on Steam this week. Personally I might still hold out for 75% off at some unforeseen point in the future (I'm sort of in the 75% off or bust crowd), but 5 bones ain't too bad for this quirky retro inspired beat-em-up.