All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Working on a GameEx getting started doc, demystify for the newbie

Thanks guys, I'll remove the comment suggesting not all settings can be found in config wizard as looking back I can't find the option I thought wasn't there...

I'll spend an hour or two a some point this week and add some screen shots... I'll properly document using shark007 again with screen shots as adware aside it did work rather nicely.

Jon

Does anyone have any killer hints and tips for the doc? Whats that one golden nugget of info that could save someone new to gameEx hours of their time?

I also think xpadder may be worth a mention, I don't have any experience of using it but figure I'll be experimenting with it especially when I get my arcade cab setup... anyone got experience of xpadder and could write a short intro paragraph or two on its benefits?

Hello stryker, my compliments for your excellent guide!

In part 4, I would suggest to add how backup your GameEx configuration, which mainly includes a copy of:

- CONFIG\GameEx.ini

- CONFIG\custominput.ini

- CONFIG\CustomMenu.ini

plus any other customized files. Of course you can copy the entire GameEx folder, but copying only the crucial files is more convenient!

• Like 1

Hello Stryker,

I am new to GameEx as well and have been working with it for only a few weeks. Your guide is great. Something I encountered as I was setting up my system was after I downloaded my emulators from the GameEx setup wizard, I expected them to work immediately after installing them. It took me a while to realize that I needed to open each emulator separately and configure them to the graphics and audio of my computer. Just a thought of something to add.

Hello Stryker,

I am new to GameEx as well and have been working with it for only a few weeks. Your guide is great. Something I encountered as I was setting up my system was after I downloaded my emulators from the GameEx setup wizard, I expected them to work immediately after installing them. It took me a while to realize that I needed to open each emulator separately and configure them to the graphics and audio of my computer. Just a thought of something to add.

@Stryker - maybe modify the section text that reads

"For each emulator it usually pays to find them in your C:\Emulators folder then run them from the desktop. Most of the emulators have “options” for setting up your joysticks/pads and mapping the buttons etc. Once this is done the settings will typically persist when they are launched from within GameEx."

to read

"Each emulator downloaded via GameEx will require that you configure and get them up and running outside of GameEx first. You will find the emulator executable in your C:\Emulators\Emulator Name folder. Most of the emulators have “options” for setting up your joysticks/pads and mapping the buttons, setting the path to your ROMs, etc. Once this is done the settings will typically persist when they are launched from within GameEx"

• Like 1

Cheers AlphaUMi I'm in the process of adding that section to the doc now... just got to check there are no other files to copy in there... actually I need to do this on my install! :-)

Yes, there are, at least another one. I forgot DATA\DATA.db3. It contains all your favourite games and informations about other multimedia files. ^_^

• Like 1

Oh, Steam! You're right null!!! And I would add the steamdata.ini file (the main file for steam in gameex), that is in DATA folder.

If you added a lot of non-steam games with custom descriptions, artwork, trailers, etc like me, this is definitely a file to backup.

The steamdata.ini follows this scheme:

[AppID_XXXXX] (where XXXXX is, indeed, the Steam ID for a particular game]

installdir=

gamename=

exe=

description=

genre=

year=

developer=

If you add custom trailers, screenshots, etc in the corresponding folders in MEDIA\STEAM, assigning them the same name as the AppID, you can populate the Steam menu in GameEx with a complete set of information & artwork even with non-steam games.

EDIT: when I speak about an AppID for non-steam games, I mean that when you add a non-steam game in steam, a random ID is generated and saved in shortcuts.vdf in steam folder. GameEx will catch that game, provided that you launch it at least once.

Thanks guys!

ArcadeFan/Draco1962, thanks for the pointer and thanks for the new working draco, thats much better.

AlphaUmi/Null thanks for the pointers on what to backup, I've added these to the doc. I can't test them till I add my steam account to my GameEx setup which may be this weekend if my kids give me 5 mins peace :-)

I can't see much else to do beyond testing the steam backup instructions and reviewing the whole doc with a mind to using better wording, its come along nicely.

ArcadeFan, did you follow the guide when you did your install? if so any other glaring short-comings? Remember the goal for the doc is to give a new user a clear set of high level steps to take and guide them in the right direction, its not a detailed howto... if it were the sheer size of the doc would probably nullify its usefulness.

Stryker, I did not find your guide until after I had my set up completed. I wish I would have!! It is a great document to help out anyone new. My set up that I have now is pretty basic. I have emulators and roms running, and I am now beginning to work on all of the artwork and snaps. I also am going to look at using a rom manager for MAME to help sort that out. I will be following your guide as I move forward and can keep you posted with things I encounter. I might not get a chance to spend time on it until the weekend.

I spent some time working on the artwork and snaps this weekend and this is how it went. I downloaded the MAME screenshots and 3D cabinets from the GameEx download-add on/utilities/media section and put them in the correct folders , that I have mapped and unzipped them. They worked and looked great. I also downloaded the screenshots for my remaining consoles, and placed them in the correct folders. To get these to work, I found I needed to rename the snap to match the rom name exactly. Spelling, capitalization, and numbers/symbols had to match. Then they were recognized by GameEx. It was a productive weekend working on my system and now that I am starting to use more of the many features GameEx offers, my system looks really cool.

thanks for that, it does sound like a productive weekend... I've not specifically done what you describe, but do like the idea of having the 3d cab art installed... I wonder why you had to rename them? I'd of thought the images would of had the same name that mame uses for the roms?

thanks for that, it does sound like a productive weekend... I've not specifically done what you describe, but do like the idea of having the 3d cab art installed... I wonder why you had to rename them? I'd of thought the images would of had the same name that mame uses for the roms?

The 3D Models have already been named to match the ROMs.

Thanks guys.

Yeah I've found between gameex and the "download artwork and videos" program I pretty much get everything I want without any manual intervention.

I am however missing the 3d cabs etc.... I wonder, will there be a point were either gameex or the "download artwork and videos" program will grab this content? In the meantime I can add the process for grabbing 3dcab artwork to the guide.

ArcadeFan, are your roms conventionally named following the mame standard? did you find yourself renaming all the 3dcab art or just some?

Stryker, all of my MAME games are conventionally named. I did not change any of the game names or 3d cabinet names. I just put the cabinets into the folder I mapped in the set up wizard, unzipped the file, and they worked for me. When I open a folder for a game from the 3d cabinets, I also get images of the marquee, bezel, side-art, and more. I will have to add these to the appropriate folders. The only snaps I needed to rename were from the consoles I downloaded.

I looked around in the setup wizard and did not see where to change the settings to enable the best snap feature. This would save time from not having to rename all the file names.

• Like 1

I looked around in the setup wizard and did not see where to change the settings to enable the best snap feature. This would save time from not having to rename all the file names.

Hi ArcadeFan, FYI and future reference it is located in the Tweaks/Performance section :)

post-6865-0-86392900-1380686836_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I've added two specific sections to the "Essentials overview" section of the doc covering getting all the artwork and 3d cabs. Lets face it, its the bells and whistles that make GameEx so its two important steps to the setup :-)

The sections are:

• Download art and videos

• Populate 3d Cabinets

Cheers,

Jon

I worked on my system a little this weekend. I followed your guide and signed up with Emumovies and added images of the cartridges and boxes to my consoles. Now it looks really cool when I load a game, and brings back memories of having these games as a kid!! I also ended up buying an empty MERCS cabinet. This will save me time since I won't have to build a cabinet now.

If I may suggest adding to the essentials overview section regarding signing up to Emumovies, that after signing up, go into the GameEx set up wizard and add your user name and password for Emumovies on the automatic artwork download screen.