All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Working on a GameEx getting started doc, demystify for the newbie

Hi All,

Just last weekend I was new to GameEx. The first thing I noticed was that while there are various detailed guides on all sorts of GameEx configuration, there was nothing that simply highlighted the route to take when setting up a new system.... a simple overview if you may. The experience was pretty daunting for me as a GameEx newbie.

While I'm still new to this and my lessons learnt are fresh in my head I thought I'd start penning a short setup and survival guide to GameEx.

This guide is in no way near finished but I'm after people opinions and even help to complete it. Remember I'm new so if there is anything that's inaccurate or even complete downright lies then please let me know! :-)

I say again remember its not a detailed howto, the GameEx website has plenty of details docs.... this document is kind of like a set of signposts and a basic route map taking you from nothing to a working install of GameEx. It also outlines some best practices to save you a headache further down the line. The document throughout follows the theme of best results in least time, this phylosiphy is applied to the emulator and tools choices made there-in.

Its a google doc so follow the link below. If you want to help edit it directly then PM me with your email address and I'll add you as an editor.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1e4h-yOFAuli7EPk8qGzBGMQZ56sCm6eMdgicl9-a5W4/edit?usp=sharing

Cheers,

Jon

EDIT: .pdf of guide added by Draco1962

GameEx Setup Guide by Stryker.pdf

• Like 4

You mention downloading roms (which is against the forum rules) more than once.

I think that most of us have a full set of roms, and then filter out the games we don't want from within GameEx. If you are going to do as you describe, you will need to make sure that you have a split-set.

Other than that the guide looks great, and your contribution is very appreciated. It is extremely rare for the first and second post of a member to be providing help, and not asking for it. :)

With a merged set, the parent rom has all of the files that it needs, and the children only contain the roms that are different from the parent. pacman is a clone, and unless you have a split set it would not run without its parent puckman. I would wager that most people have a merged set because of the space savings.

With a merged set, the parent rom has all of the files that it needs, and the children only contain the roms that are different from the parent. pacman is a clone, and unless you have a split set it would not run without its parent puckman. I would wager that most people have a merged set because of the space savings.

A question or two regarding split vs. merged sets - How does MAME (and GameEx for that matter) handle a combination of split ROMs and merged CHDs? Is it recommended that both sets be the same (merged or split) or does it matter?

Not sure what tempest's answer will be but following the technique I've documented I think you end up with a merged set as doing the "fixit" function in Rom Centre ensures each ROM (in the GameEx MAME ROM folder) has all the parts it needs to work.... its simple and works well, not too worried about a little wasted disk space.

Another midlander joins.. sweet :-)

• Like 1

Cheers folks. I've made a few edits, added links to some of the software mentioned, also replaced the shark007 codec site with a different one. The shark codec pack installs a web browser search engine called delta and its a pain once installed!

Also touched up some of the wording here and there.

Remember, I'm open to suggestions and anything obvious I've missed that a first time user should know.

Looks really good. A couple of comments, and a question.

1. This sentence needs editing: Its rare, typically on in newer arcade games.

2. I saw one instance where GameEx is not capitalized.

Now for the question. Is this true?

Not all possible settings are covered by the “Setup Wizard”. Its worth looking at the GameEx ini file using notepad. Its typically located in the “CONFIG” folder in GameEx and is called “GameEx.ini”. IE: C:\GameEx\CONFIG\GameEx.ini

I just noticed that the two 'its' in that passage need an apostrophe: It is = it's

All in all a great guide. Thanks again! :)

If we're going into editing mode, I wanted to point out that CHD actually stands for Compressed Hunks of Data, rather than Chunks of Disk.

Regarding Shark007, can't you opt out of the adware from within the installer? It's been a while since I installed it, but as I remember you simply had to pay close attention during the install process. From there you could unselect the option to install any crap-ware. Has this changed?

Thanks nullPointer, changes have been made.

As for the shark007 codecs, I'm usually pretty savy with such things but honestly, I've installed it on two PCs now and both times do not recall having the option to not install the delta search services. You can't simply uninstall the delta search services either. I had to use a freeware malware cleaner to remove it.

Thanks for the corrections tempest. As for the config ini settings, it was a while ago now but I could of swore I found some settings that could not be found in the setup wizard... it was the result of following one particular forum thread.... one out of about 1000 I'd read that day.... I'll try and either confirm or deny that statement, if anyone knows 100% for sure then speak up :-)

Thanks nullPointer, changes have been made.

As for the shark007 codecs, I'm usually pretty savy with such things but honestly, I've installed it on two PCs now and both times do not recall having the option to not install the delta search services. You can't simply uninstall the delta search services either. I had to use a freeware malware cleaner to remove it.

I believe that you have to hit Cancel when you get to that particular search option install. Counterintuitive when you are the installer as Cancel would logically mean you are cancelling the installation (and deceptive IMO) but it will continue with the install beyond this.

• Like 1

Thanks for the great contribution stryker!

That should certainly help the less tech savvy users on their way to emu heaven :) One tiny thing - in the rom manager section you put "for MAME" in brackets then mention RomCenter as your golden choice, but infact RomCenter is useful for many systems not just MAME and it may give users (especially newbies) the impression that MAME is all it is good for.

Great quickfire guide though!

Love it.

Excellent, hope it helps!

I know the last thing you want to do when you start on something exciting like this is take notes :-) ..... but if you could make a note of anything that may be misleading for a first time install or any info that's missing that would be great!!

Thanks for your contribution stryker!

Now for the question. Is this true?

Not all possible settings are covered by the Setup Wizard. Its worth looking at the GameEx ini file using notepad. Its typically located in the CONFIG folder in GameEx and is called GameEx.ini. IE: C:\GameEx\CONFIG\GameEx.ini

That's what I was thinking. I'm pretty sure all options are in there now. If there is something missing we can certainly add it in. The search feature in the Setup Wizard can be particularly useful for finding settings.

Regarding the Shark codecs all the adware is opt-out you just have to use the 'skip' button instead of 'next' (which is placed where one would expect a 'back' button so it could be easy to miss).

Also I think adding some screenshots would be nice. For taking screenshots and adding highlights and text I use PicPick which makes it really easy to do.

post-367-0-40696900-1379981849_thumb.png

post-367-0-42377800-1379981858_thumb.png