All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

VP flipper problems with PinballX/B2S.exe/DirectOutputFramework combo

imagamejunky

SOLVED! READ POST #7

Ok Tom and everyone else.

Here is another issue.

When I use PinballX I have some horrible flipper problems when I play one of my 3 VP tables that use the old style B2S.exe's. The flippers stick up or down. This problem is new and has to do with PinballX and the new changes in my cab with DirectOutputFramework (DOF). I'm sure others will see the same issue. I will post this over on the DOF forums also and see if anyone has a solution.

VP tables with B2S.exe backglasses have the problem running from PinballX, but RUN PERFECTLY directly from VP.exe (Cirqus Voltaire, JackBot,, Terminator 3)

All of the VP tables with B2S.Server backglasses work perfect from PinballX

Here are the specifics..

VP running a current 9.16 revision

PInballX version 1.59 with no quicklaunch plugins enabled

LedControl.ini generated from the VP-Universe ledwiz config tool- current version 741 (in legacy mode)

VP table scripts are set appropriately: B2S.exe backglasses set to "true" and the Controller is set to "B2S.Server" instead of "VPinMame.controller"

Ledwiz is working perfectly for ALL tables with the new Direct-Output-Framework directly from VP.exe

My test results...

If I set the backglass exe to "false" in the table script then the table will run perfectly from PInballX with NO flipper problems, but of course there is no backglass. (Not OK)

OR

If I set the controller to "VPinMame.controller" in the table script then the table will run perfectly from PinballX with NO flipper problems, but there is no LEDWIZ (Not OK)

For those who are unfamiliar with DOF... This new framework runs the ledwiz from a plugin in the B2S.Server. This is why every table has to use the B2S.Server EVEN IF it doesn't use the B2S.Server for the backglass.

Somehow PinballX doesn't like to have a table running with BOTH a B2S.exe and a B2S.Server.

And to be clear, Visual Pinball runs perfectly like this when it is ran from it's exe.

Anyone?

junky

So I tried to reproduce this problem and can't (I forgot to add the B2S as my controller when using DOF so that was one of the reason I needed to test this)

- I just tried one table (CV) so far, and before I switched the controller from VPinMame to B2S none of the toys on the LedWiz worked.

- Once I changed the controller line from vpinmame to the b2s controller, I saved and fired up pinballx and everything worked.

- My backglass exe is set to "true" on all my exe tables

- Currently using VP rev652, PBX 1.59 and 741 in DOF mode.

Z

I'm noticing this too but not just with the older b2s.exe backglasses. On certain tables that are using DOF with the new directb2s backglasses I'm seeing the stuck flippers but only when the table first loads. In fact if I start the table from PinballX and let it sit for about a minute it seems to not happen. (Stuck flippers). I've also noticed that the stuck flippers seem to by-product of the entire table pausing (hiccuping) for a second as I also notice the ball stutter while the flipper(s) get stuck. It happens about 5 seconds after the table loads and I wonder whether it has anything to do with the recent change to make sure that pinname is focused last to make sure it sits at the front of the backglass?

I see it happen on Attack from Mars, Terminator 2 and once on Medieval Madness (all DMD games). What ever it is it seems to have snuck in with the release of the new DOF.

Let me know if you need any testing done.

Dozer.

99% SOLVED!!

This took me a while, but I think I figured it out.

PinballX doesn't like it when a VP table script is set to launch a b2s.exe backglass AND calls for the B2S.Server as the controller WHEN THERE IS NO directB2S Backglass!

So here's how I fixed it.

I copied a working directB2S backglass from another table and then renamed it to the vpt that is using a b2s.exe backglass.

Example..

I copied the Congo direct B2S backglass and renamed it with the Cirqus Voltaire vpt name. Now in my tables folder I have 3 Cirqus Voltaire items with the same name- the vpt, the b2s.exe, AND a directB2S (the one for Congo)

This works because the B2S.exe is running in front and you can't see the Congo backglass.

The Flipper Problem is GONE!!

I did the same exact thing for JackBot and Terminator 3. It fixed the flipper problem for these tables as well!!

There is one problem with my solution. In the T3 backglass you can see parts of the directB2S backglass. So this solution is not perfect. To be honest I hardly play T3 so this is ok for now. I'm just super happy that I got Cirqus Voltaire and JackBot working again, so YAY ME!!

I'm sure someone above my pay grade will come up with a correct solution for this problem, but for now this works. :)

Junky

junky,

Did you add this to your B2STableSettings.xml file:

<B2STableSettings>....<ShowStartupError>0</ShowStartupError>...</B2STableSettings>

This suppresses the error message if no backglass file is found...possible that window that pops up is causing the issue?

I understand what you did above, just don't know why you had to use a .exe and .directb2s file to make it work.

Z

Did some more testing this morning, the problem seems unrelated to DOF as I wrote an AHK script to revert test tables back to the ledwiz legacy solution based on what table was launching.

The problem seems to have first appeared in 1.57 where I belive a vpinmame focus fix was introduced (please correct me if I am wrong.)

Reverted to 1.50 from a backup and there is no stuck flipper issue with either DOF or Ledwiz legacy.

Hope this helps.

I respectfully disagree dozer. I play cirqus voltaire a whole lot. I've been running 1.59 ever since Tom released it. I never had a single stuck flipper issue untill I added DOF to my cab.

Zeenon. I replied to you over on vpu. Yes, I added that line to the XML. I followed the DOF instructions perfectly.

Sorry Tom, problem is still there for me with the version posted above. Start game, launch ball then 2 or 3 pauses that result in the ball freezing and flippers being stuck.

Revert to 1.50 and problem is gone.

Let me know if you need any testing.

Dozer.

See if there is any improvement at all with the attached please.

This didn't fix the problem for me Tom.

My workaround is still the best working option for me.

My specs

i5 3570 running at 4.3

16gb ram

windows 8 64 pro

evga gtx670 2gb

240 & 120gb ssd's

Thanks man

It's not a Pinball X problem. Stuck Flippers have been reported here and there, and not always the same table. I have had it on a couple here and there using only the editor. I restarted the table and sometimes it worked ok, and sometimes it didn't.

I'm sorry but you're wrong. This IS a pinballx problem. I've played hundreds of vp tables and never had a stuck flipper issue before this. Not one single time. Both the b2s.server and the b2s.exe using tables run flawlessly directly from vp.exe both with and without DOF. For me the tables using b2s.exe ONLY have flipper issues when running from pinballx after the implementation of DOF. Before DOF they ran perfectly from pinballx also. Like I explained in great detail above, this problem started after DOF was brought into the picture and it only happens with pinballx. It happens every single time. It's NOT intermittent