All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Not sure why this is, but maybe it will help someone else

xyzzy

So I just installed a new install on GameEx. Seemed to be working ok. I have always had problems with attract mode, but this time I think I worked out all my codec problems. Then all of a sudden, I start getting crashes in attract mode... For the life of me I couldn't figure out why.. I started doing some research. I found a post from a person who had an issue with crashes after they plugged in a gamepad. I didn't, but it dawned on me that I did plug in a light gun recently (the gun emulates a mouse). I unplugged it and my problem went away. I tested this a few times by plugging in and unplugging the gun.. It does seem to be the issue. I did try what the gamepad person did as a resolution... I turned off the initialization of gamepads... it solved the problem!

Anyone have a clue why that would help a crash in attract mode?

Hi xyzzy and Welcome to the GameEx Forums!

I'm glad to hear that you resolved your problem, and thanks for taking the time to share your solution. It's hard to speculate on the nature of this error without knowing more specifics about your system. GameEx generates a runtime log at startup which contains a plethora of details about your GameEx environment. Most of the time the log will have some details about a crash experienced during runtime. At the vary least it makes it a bit easier to see what GameEx was doing at the time of the crash. Accordingly it also makes it easier to determine the cause of errors occurring with your configuration. When reporting an error it's a very good idea to follow the directions seen in the How to Ask For Help thread, although I'd imagine you're not in a hurry to attempt to recreate the error just so we can look at your log. :)

I'd also be a bit curious to see the thread with the original problem report. Is this happening in the current version of GameEx?