All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Splinter Cell: Blacklist - who's gonna play?

naborneo

So Blacklist comes out a little less then a week from now, and I'm really excited. Most of the reviews dropped today, Rev3 giving it 4 out of 5, Polygon with an 8.5 and IGN at a 9.2. I liked the last one, but this seems to be coming back to Chaos Theory nostalgia. I'm flashing back to college where my dorm-mates and I would log into Spys vs. Mercs and play day and night over the schools network.

So anyway, I just wondered if anyone here was getting ready for this game to drop? I'm ready to launch Steam Tuesday and maybe use some of those personal days, I've racked up. Hope to see you guys out there.

Steam-name: NateMac00

I have to admit that I'm pretty backlogged on Splinter Cell games. I haven't played any of them since Pandora Tomorrow! Especially unfortunate considering that Chaos Theory is supposed to be pretty legendary. So I probably won't jump at this on the dat of release, but I'll likely keep an eye out for this to come up as a Steam sale or something.

@Han: I'm also huge fan of both Metal Gear Solid and the Splinter Cell games (or at least the ones I've played :lol:). The Splinter Cell series does draw several obvious comparisons with the Metal Gear Solid games, but also has some nice things that set it apart. At the time of it's release I even felt that some of the stealth elements in Splinter Cell were actually done better than in MGS. I guess the distinction I'd make is that in MGS the stealth elements sometimes make you feel like you're hiding from enemies (especially if you're going for minimum kill ratio). In Splinter Cell the stealth elements make you feel like you're just waiting for enemies to stumble into your trap. It's also nice that the plot(s) in Splinter Cell will not require the use of mind altering substances to comprehend. :D

I remember I had the original Splinter Cell on PS2 when the game came out, I actually enjoyed the game but didn't budge when the sequel's came out. The next one I had was conviction for the 360 but wasn't overly impressed with it, It could have been better.

Speaking of Metal Gear Solid, I remember owning the first one one the PSX (I think I was nearing the end of High School and remember getting stuck on the game, It was like I had to send a rocket round some corridor's to blow something up, I couldn't do it and then I just watched a friend do the entire game with so much ease)

Again I never bothered with any of the sequel's until Twin Snakes came out on the GameCube, MGS isn't really my cup of tea to be honest, Don't get me wrong MGS 1 was a decent game but was slightly overrated.

I remember I had the original Splinter Cell on PS2 when the game came out, I actually enjoyed the game but didn't budge when the sequel's came out. The next one I had was conviction for the 360 but wasn't overly impressed with it, It could have been better.

Speaking of Metal Gear Solid, I remember owning the first one one the PSX (I think I was nearing the end of High School and remember getting stuck on the game, It was like I had to send a rocket round some corridor's to blow something up, I couldn't do it and then I just watched a friend do the entire game with so much ease)

Again I never bothered with any of the sequel's until Twin Snakes came out on the GameCube, MGS isn't really my cup of tea to be honest, Don't get me wrong MGS 1 was a decent game but was slightly overrated.

All I remeber from the first MGS was sitting in a box... I got to the second disc and never continued. My buddy had a PS3 so I bought the new one and got so frustrated with the install and the first level I just gave up on it...

It was all about Chaos Theory and the A-symmetrical multiplayer. It was one of the first games to do that right. a Third-Person view spy with no lethal weapons, and a First-person Mercenary with guns an arsenal, and some how you where evenly matched. No better feeling watching a Merc. placing mines everywhere like crazy, and slowly walking up to them and disarming them, just to watch him go crazy and do it all over again.

I was disappointed when I bought the PC version of Chaos Theory and it didn't have controller support. I'm a PC gamer now, but I use a controller.

My all time favorite co-op game was Rainbow Six Vegas 2, I remember always using The Villa on co-op and spending hours making our own strategies and me and my brother teaming up and taking out those young player's who think they rule, and you would alway's get a message from them straight after the game, usually along the lines of F*** *** cheat etc...

It was all about Chaos Theory and the A-symmetrical multiplayer. It was one of the first games to do that right.

Totally agree! Definitely one of the more unique multiplayer experiences i've had, Chaos Theory was also a cracking single player campaign and the last Splinter Cell i played.

And null, yet again i can't fault your opinion on the comparisons mith MGS! I too only played MGS and MGS2 and like you said in MGS it does seem like you're hiding more to avoid, rather than to ambush which SC was great for.

I did love SC back in the day but i've lost my enthusiasm for it in recent years. Maybe because of friends slating the later releases i dunno.

Will be picking this up on my WiiU.

You are quite literally the first person I've "met" to have a WiiU... cool.

I have always been a console gamer and a couple of years ago I finally went all out with my HomeTheater/Steam/GameEX PC and now I just have this xbox360 that plays Netflix very well. I was excited about the the new consoles, but in past generations, the Consoles would leap-frog the current PC gaming market, that isn't the case any more. with a wireless xbox controller receiver, a 3770K and upgrading to the 760 GTX, I feel as far as graphics and performance, I will be pretty equal with the next-gen consoles, and that's with using a processor and video card that could be considered mid-grade. Am I wrong?

I think you are spot on there,

I've always been fond of both PC and consoles, they always had their pro's and con's for me and so have never really stuck with one or the other (i go through stages like i think any normal person would :P )
but i do have to agree that i think the console market have slowed game developement quite a bit recently - look at the 670 - it's been around for over 12 months and can already produce better graphics than the next gen consoles. There simply hasn't been anything pushing the hardware lately and that's because of the unusually long life cycle of the 360&PS3.

I think now is a good time to be a PC gamer, your hardware will now start getting used ^_^