All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

New setup questions

Orlin

HI all.

Well i looking to setup a PinballX setup, but i have a few setup starter questions.

1: do i need to unzip the tables for Visual Pinball & Future Pinball, or is on the fly unzip support like in GameEX?

2: How do i create a XML file for Visual Pinball & Future Pinball (never had to touch/deal with XML before) as i have a complete set for both Visual Pinball & Future Pinball (really am clueless here)

3: Are emumovies snaps supported?

Thanks guys and i look forward to any help you can give me.

I always unzip the VP tables to the Tables directory. Don't think you can use them zipped.

To add tables, use the Game List Manager.

I use both HyperPin MEdia files and videos(not from emumovies) with no problems, so not sure why they wouldn't work.

Rudy

I always unzip the VP tables to the Tables directory. Don't think you can use them zipped.

To add tables, use the Game List Manager.

I use both HyperPin MEdia files and videos(not from emumovies) with no problems, so not sure why they wouldn't work.

Rudy

It will take me weeks to add all the tables using List Manager, i was just open there was something out there where it can scan the table folder and create a XML file, with Game EX i never even had to create a XML file (unless you doing some sort of special setup) and i was hopping it would like that too.

It will take me weeks to add all the tables using List Manager, i was just open there was something out there where it can scan the table folder and create a XML file, with Game EX i never even had to create a XML file (unless you doing some sort of special setup) and i was hopping it would like that too.

I have a python program to do this as I wasn't going to add hundreds of tables "by-hand" even with the list manager. It's a really "rough" "temp-program" I wrote to do my initial setup.....will release GPLv2 someday when I clean up the interface/code.

• Like 1

I haven't really devoted the time to setting up PinballX for this reason, looking forward to using this utility. :)

You know, if you have all the table files, roms, etc downloaded to the correct places you can then just click the "import media pack" button at the top of the game manager application. Pick the zipped media pack file and the program will match it to the correct table if the names are similar and put everything where it belongs in the XML. I have not manually entered a table since I figured that out.

• Like 2

You know, if you have all the table files, roms, etc downloaded to the correct places you can then just click the "import media pack" button at the top of the game manager application. Pick the zipped media pack file and the program will match it to the correct table if the names are similar and put everything where it belongs in the XML. I have not manually entered a table since I figured that out.

But for those of us with Pokemon syndrome didn't wanna do this a few hundred times. :)

Ok, I do admit I've spent a LOT of time loading tables.... but you have to download them one-by-one anyway, so its not much of an extra step. This is a hobby that requires a bit of work and setup and attention to detail.

I have a python program to do this as I wasn't going to add hundreds of tables "by-hand" even with the list manager. It's a really "rough" "temp-program" I wrote to do my initial setup.....will release GPLv2 someday when I clean up the interface/code.

Sweet, i look forward to it.

Don't you need special media packs though? as i did try this but it said invalid media pack.

I tried selecting the table zip file and rom zip file and i got the above, which makes me think you need to get a special media pack for each table.

i have 333 full screen tables, so spootdev program/script will be a god send when its available.

• Like 1

Don't you need special media packs though? as did try this but it said invalid media pack.

I tried selecting the table zip file and rom zip file and i got the above, which makes me think you need to get a special media pack for each table.

i have 333 full screen tables, so spootdev program/script will be a god send when its available.

Download the "hyperspin media packs" for your tables- that is the file you import in the table setup application. Tables should be unzipped to the vp tables folder and roms should remain zipped in the vpinmame roms folder. Save the media pack zip files wherever is handy; I have mine in their own "media packs" folder. Once imported, pinballx extracts them to its own media folders and will create a new table entry will all the data prefilled.

333 tables? No wonder you think so many are crap. I have 73 loaded currently that all look good and play well. All VP and all have media packs and B2S backglasses- it is a sign of a good table of it is well-supported by the community with those extras. There are a few more I still want, but I just tore down my cabinet to finish the "bodywork." I doubt I will even get close to 100 though unless I bite the bullet and include some FP tables.

Download the "hyperspin media packs" for your tables- that is the file you import in the table setup application. Tables should be unzipped to the vp tables folder and roms should remain zipped in the vpinmame roms folder. Save the media pack zip files wherever is handy; I have mine in their own "media packs" folder. Once imported, pinballx extracts them to its own media folders and will create a new table entry will all the data prefilled.

333 tables? No wonder you think so many are crap. I have 73 loaded currently that all look good and play well. All VP and all have media packs and B2S backglasses- it is a sign of a good table of it is well-supported by the community with those extras. There are a few more I still want, but I just tore down my cabinet to finish the "bodywork." I doubt I will even get close to 100 though unless I bite the bullet and include some FP tables.

Yeah they work :D. looks like i will cherry pick my tables. I also have Future pin tables but i think for now i am going to stick with Visual Pinball and Pinball FX2 from steam (just wish i could see all Pinball FX2 tables with the rest when selected to see all tables)

Well, I've cut out most of the other stuff. This app currently is for the mass import and creation of the initial XML for PinballX. It does some media management (missing, rename, etc) as well. If you run the media match it will simply create an html with a grid of found/missing media files.

More info is at www.spootsworld.com website. Source code is available as well.

• Like 1

spootdev,

Wow, I like the PinXML featurelist. Can you post your large VP xml file ;-)? I will try out the PinXML this weekend, but in the meantime pre-made xml file may come in handy

If you try it make sure to grab the latest version. Couple large bug fixes in 0.3. No reason to post an xml....that's the entire point of the program is to make an xml quickly. Should be able to load almost all of your vp tables in less than a minute in one shot if the tables are named "Table Name (manufacturer) (year)" format or close to it.