All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Arkanoid

Tempest - August 2013 GOTM Winner (105,480)

Arkanoid
Arkanoid Leaderboard

POSITION USER NAME TOTAL SCORE
1 KRC 232,410 KRC's Hi-Score Entry
2 Mame Offender 207,820 Mame Offender's Hi-Score Entry
3 Tempest 105,480 Tempest's Hi-Score Entry
4 Cynicaster 87,230 Cynicaster's Hi-Score Entry
5 ExedExes 83,410 ExedExes's Hi-Score Entry
6 DazzleHP 78,870 DazzleHP's Hi-Score Entry
7 hansolo77 72,660 hansolo77's Hi-Score Entry
8 GimmeClassics 55,560 GimmeClassics's Hi-Score Entry
9 Luigimaker 50,570 Luigimaker's Hi-Score Entry
10 rtkiii 42,350 rtkiii's Hi-Score Entry
Last Updated by hansolo77: 05-29-2018

plus10.jpg

1. Yung-Jedi - 40,980 (link)
  2. be77amy - 33,930 (link)
  3. stephen - 33,450 (link)
  4. wolfman24 - 9,070 (link)

Please use these settings when submitting a hi-score for Arkanoid:

ROMSet: Arkanoid
Allow Continue: No
Flip Screen: Off
Difficulty: Normal
Bonus Lives: 20k, 60k, 60k+
Lives: 3
Service Mode: Off
Special Rules: Additional Lives may also be earned via collection of a "P" capsule. Continues are NOT allowed!
---> You must change Allow Continue to "NO". Difficulty requires "NORMAL", but there are only 2 dips, so "EASY" is fine. Everything else is ok!

---> How to use your mouse playing Arkanoid and adjusting the sensitivity > click here

# you can change your Mame dip switch settings by following this guide > link
# you can make a printscreen of your hi-score screen by following this guide > link
# general rules for submitting you hi-score > link
# the above settings are the default Twin Galaxies settings > link

-Han

This game is HARD! I played a bit and did get up top 22k but geesh that thing is sensative...gonna try onm my cabinet tonight with buttoins and see how it goies...the mouse just does not seem responsive enough for me

My 1st Entry for this. Setting the bar low. ON EASY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! insane :) - I know it is my control setup and I know I should do better...blah! :)

post-11179-0-86773800-1375448061_thumb.j

Yeah the only way I can play this game is with a mouse. There's nothing in the rules that says how you can play. So if you find using a joystick works better for you, go for it. Or buttons, or a spinner, or a trackball, whatever works. If you find the controls are too sensitive, I believe you can configure MAME on a per-game basis for sensitivity... Hit [TAB] then choose the menu option "Analog Controls". For what it's worth, I just went through a whole lot of settings trying to get my mouse to work. I couldn't get it to work. I have a digital/optical mouse (with a red laser thing) and it just doesn't work. Somebody with a ball mouse (with wheels) might have better luck because the way spinners work is with an encoder wheel, and those old ball mice use encoder wheels. The new-age digital mice just don't have the accuracy. So when I play this game, it's all in the keyboard. :(

@Rtkiii: I totally agree. I'll definitely look for alternative controls to play this game.

Damn, this game is hard playing on a keyboard. Anyway, here's my first submisson:

> Hi-score: 24,130 points
> Settings used of post #1
> Mame 0.147 compiled used
> Screenshot of my hi-score:

post-10451-0-02271800-1375522008_thumb.p

Your can enter your initials on the Arkanoid hi-score table when getting 30.000 points or more. That's why up untill now rtkiii and myself weren't able to upload a snapshot with our initials.

GC

Updated OP, LB

If you find the controls are too sensitive, I believe you can configure MAME on a per-game basis for sensitivity... Hit [TAB] then choose the menu option "Analog Controls". For what it's worth, I just went through a whole lot of settings trying to get my mouse to work. I couldn't get it to work. I have a digital/optical mouse (with a red laser thing) and it just doesn't work. So when I play this game, it's all in the keyboard. :(

Here's how I got my mouse to work with Arkanoid and was able to adjust the sensitivity :)

1. Go to MAME User interface

2. Select Arkanoid

3. Click on right mouse button

4. Choose properties (see image below)

post-10451-0-36384900-1375728487_thumb.j

5. Select Controllers Tab

6. Check "Enable Mouse input" (see image below)

post-10451-0-99501900-1375728514_thumb.j

7. Start up Arkanoid

8. Hit TAB

9. Select Analag Controls (see image below)

post-10451-0-86252600-1375728540_thumb.j

10. Adjust the Dial Sensitivity (my value is now 15 instead of 30; see image below)

post-10451-0-46158700-1375728568_thumb.j

It's a huge improvement being able to play Arkanoid with my mouse (Logitech G5 laser) and being able to adjust the sensitivity.

Finally my new hi-score submission:

> Hi-score: 31,470 points

> initials: DEN

> Screenshot of my hi-score:

post-10451-0-75525000-1375728737_thumb.p

Good luck beating my hi-score. Shouldn't be too hard...;)

Updated OP, DB, RSS and LB

• Like 1

Yeah I tried adjusting mine in 5 step increments (15, 20, 25, 30) didn't change anything. So I did it in 10 steps (30, 40, 50) didn't change anything, then I went nuts and jumped it up to 200, still no difference. It just won't work with my mouse I guess. I should look around and see if I can find an old analog ball mouse...

@Han: I presume you have selected "Enable Mouse Input" for Arkanoid ? (see guide above)

Maybe you could try setting the Dial Device to "Mouse" under:

Right click Arkanoid > Properties > Controller Mapping > Dial Device

Adjusting the Dial sensitivity (Mame > Start Arkanoid > Tab) does have effect on the sensitvity of my mouse movement...strange...it seems to depend on which mouse you use. Although I'm also using a Laser Mouse... :huh:

@Han put "-mouse" in command line ;)

@GC thanks for the guide, i already played with it a while back but good to have some info :) i play mine on:

20 dial speed

20 sensitivity

Score: 78,870

Initials: DAZ

I'm yet to tinker properly though so these settings may change ^_^

post-6865-0-28471900-1375833133_thumb.pn

-EDIT- you will all need to put -mouse in command line (arguments) options to get your mouse working

@ Daz: nice score ! I knew my score was easy to beat but your score is raising the bar BT !

Could you perhaps explain how and where you should put -mouse in command line (argument) options to get your mouse working when playing Arkanoid ? Of course I already know .... :blink:;) .... but others might not... Thanks man !

Updated OP

Yeah I know how to use the mouse in MAME, I use it for other games just fine. Arkanoid however had a specific spinner that it used, and the emulation for it while using a mouse is not very good. I'll try and have another go at this maybe tomorrow on my day off. Depends on what comes up.

A Little Better - 28,980

I like this game I do but I feel the only time I get a high score isn't because I play any better it is because I get the "B" to help advance and get a huge bonus - Which I feel like is a shame, Especially when you get NO BONUS for clearing a stage one brick at a freaking time! :)

I have other rounds where I am tearing it up on the 1st level and destroying those stupid enemies but still end the game with 15K because I didn't get the two previously mentioned bonuses. That bums me out...I think being able to play well should out weigh the "B" bonus. Still a fun game just seems off on the rules...by design not by this standard.

post-11179-0-85351300-1375970111_thumb.j

@rtkiii: I agree on the "no-freaking-bonus-while-having-cleared-all-the-bricks". It doesn't seem right.

But like you said, it is fun to play this game. It's a real challenge getting a good score......and we all have to face the "no-bonus-all-bricks" rule. So I will keep playing Arkanoid and try to get better :)

I hope more will join us playing this frustrating but more-fun-than-frustrating game ;)

Updated OP, DB, RSS

LAST Post for today...I'm burnt out...not much of a change.

I think I could've easily had another 5k but I choked on the 3rd level with 3 guys...yeah I got one brick out of all of them...made the same mistake 3 times in a row....I was pretty excited :) - That's sarcasm

post-11179-0-06387700-1376072139_thumb.j