All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Way to transfer MAME32 settings for use by GameEx?

Bill_Loguidice

Hi, I am a newly registered GameEx user. While I see that there is a new version of GameEx just released today, I won't get a chance to install the update until late tonight and I suspect it won't solve my problem anyway.

In any case, I can't seem to tweak MAME's usage within GameEx to the parameters I need. I have everything configured perfectly in MAME32, so what's the easiest way to EXACTLY transfer those settings (or tell GameEx to use) for GameEx. I have an ArcadeVGA card with a standard Wells Gardner 27" monitor. I also have a Slikstick-style panel, though it has a few extra features. Control-wise I can make everything work in GameEx, but I'm having trouble using proper resolutions and refresh rates and configuring settings so everything runs at 100% speed. Like I said, I have it "perfect" going straight through MAME32 rather than using GameEx. As a work around, I'm just having GameEx run MAME32 as an external program, but obviously that's not what it's meant for...

Thanks for any guidance with this...

Hi, I am a newly registered GameEx user.  While I see that there is a new version of GameEx just released today, I won't get a chance to install the update until late tonight and I suspect it won't solve my problem anyway.

In any case, I can't seem to tweak MAME's usage within GameEx to the parameters I need.  I have everything configured perfectly in MAME32, so what's the easiest way to EXACTLY transfer those settings (or tell GameEx to use) for GameEx.  I have an ArcadeVGA card with a standard Wells Gardner 27" monitor.  I also have a Slikstick-style panel, though it has a few extra features.  Control-wise I can make everything work in GameEx, but I'm having trouble using proper resolutions and refresh rates and configuring settings so everything runs at 100% speed.  Like I said, I have it "perfect" going straight through MAME32 rather than using GameEx.  As a work around, I'm just having GameEx run MAME32 as an external program, but obviously that's not what it's meant for...

Thanks for any guidance with this...

Hi, the easiest way is to just set the path to your Mame32.exe from GameEx and in advanced MAME settings leave the "MAME options" field blank.

Voilá, just what you wanted!

Emph

Thank you, Emph. I might have already tried that, but I'll definitely give it a go again (I'll let you know what's still messed up if it doesn't fix everything different). Are you aware of anything else with GameEX that might intercept settings? There are obviously quite a few check box options in MAME32 that I've tweaked and it took me quite some time to get something that worked the way I wanted it to.

Thank you, Emph.  I might have already tried that, but I'll definitely give it a go again (I'll let you know what's still messed up if it doesn't fix everything different).  Are you aware of anything else with GameEX that might intercept settings?  There are obviously quite a few check box options in MAME32 that I've tweaked and it took me quite some time to get something that worked the way I wanted it to.

Hey, it works for me! :D

I use Mame32+ mostly, but now I've started to use AdvanceMAME as well, but I'm still in the "testing" part of choosing a definite version. But I kinda like that pause that comes when you accidentily hits "escape" in AdvanceMame so until Mame32+ or some other build like Fx or ZetaMame starts using that function, I'll stick with AdvanceMame. And of course the added video functions.

Emph

Unfortunately, it did not work. It doesn't matter much as far as pass-through settings go if I have the path empty or not, or if I have ArcadeVGA on or not. It simply doesn't cleanly pass-through the settings, instead insisting on using it's own settings for several items. Even the sound is much quieter than when not using GameEx as the MAME go-to. Beyond giving AdvanceMAME a go, any other suggestions?

That's very strange. GameEx should use the mame.ini file for launching MAME. So compare that file to your mame32.ini if you have one and change the settings so they match. Otherwise, I can't think of anything except the tips mentioned before in this thread.

Good luck!

Emph

Normally whenever I've tried to setup MAME32, its normal that the settings set within the MAME32 GUI are not used when calling MAME32.exe from the command line (ie from GameEx). It's just normal.

Therefore GameEx will either use the setting in mame/32.ini or the MAME options under Advanced MAME settings in GameEx config. The easiest way in my opinion is just to set them here. I realise it's a little complex and I hope to add a gui app soon that will mimic the MAME32 gui settings.

Fortunatly all the command line options are in the MAME32 Help file under MAME Documents > Configuration and Usage.

The ArcadeVGA settings in GameEx are added to the command line when calling MAME, so they should always be set regardless of MAME.ini or settings in MAME32. Not sure if your saying there not working but they should be, and if not try the command line version.

To summarise it's a misconception (as far as I know) that you can set settings in MAME32 and they will stay when it is called from the command line (as GameEx and front ends do).

Let me know if you need more help setting the commands or something else is up.

Thanks,

Tom

About the misconception; It works for me to setup MAME32 and get it to work from within GameEx, but most other things like getting GameEx to launch everything it's supposed to launch (before and after emulators, disc image mounting) is impossible. So my guess is that there's some system specific problems somewhere. I'm not saying this is GameEx' fault though.

Emph

• 2 weeks later...

Well, just a reminder, I have a new Dream Authentics Excalibur cabinet and I purchased GameEx, even though I was already entitled to a copy for being a Dream Authentics customer (I didn't know that at the time).

Anyway, like I said, everything works great in MAME32, but trying to access MAME32 from GameEx changes everything about it unless I run it as an external program. Support at Dream Authentics suggested I use the command line version of MAME, since they already include pre-made configuration files for that with the cab.

I uninstalled GameEx, put in the new version and pointed to MAME instead of MAME32. I still have quiet sound, but at least now - as long as I turn off GameEx's ArcadeVGA stuff (my cab has a Wells Gardner monitor and ArcadeVGA card) it displays in the correct arcade resolution (Pac-Man at 15Khz, etc.). Unfortunately, it's still dropping frames like crazy, anywhere from ~5 - 20 at a time. Unacceptable, since I obviously have a top-of-the-line maxed out PC in there and no such issues when running MAME32 directly.

I'll try a few more things, like removing Triple buffering and what-have-you (which I thought I already did once within GameEx), but I think for whatever reason, it's a lost cause. Bizarre. I'll maybe try a different front end and just GameEx launch that instead, or just work through MAME32. I don't know.

Well, just a reminder, I have a new Dream Authentics Excalibur cabinet and I purchased GameEx, even though I was already entitled to a copy for being a Dream Authentics customer (I didn't know that at the time).

Anyway, like I said, everything works great in MAME32, but trying to access MAME32 from GameEx changes everything about it unless I run it as an external program.  Support at Dream Authentics suggested I use the command line version of MAME, since they already include pre-made configuration files for that with the cab. 

I uninstalled GameEx, put in the new version and pointed to MAME instead of MAME32.  I still have quiet sound, but at least now - as long as I turn off GameEx's ArcadeVGA stuff (my cab has a Wells Gardner monitor and ArcadeVGA card) it displays in the correct arcade resolution (Pac-Man at 15Khz, etc.).  Unfortunately, it's still dropping frames like crazy, anywhere from ~5 - 20 at a time.  Unacceptable, since I obviously have a top-of-the-line maxed out PC in there and no such issues when running MAME32 directly.

I'll try a few more things, like removing Triple buffering and what-have-you (which I thought I already did once within GameEx), but I think for whatever reason, it's a lost cause.  Bizarre.  I'll maybe try a different front end and just GameEx launch that instead, or just work through MAME32.  I don't know.

Im really not sure why your having all these issues. Its normally like a 5 minute to setup GameEx with MAME.

I am little confused though exactly what your issues are. Im a technical guy so just the facts would help :)

Does MAME run ok from the command line outside of GameEx? You can test this by selecting the Run Last Game Option in the Windows GameEX program group.

From what I can tell you have two issues, but am a little unsure.

1. The sound is the wrong volume. Have you tried pressing Tab and the other ketys etc while MAME is actually running a game to set the volume?

2. The frameskipping. Is it occuring now with the cmd line version, or you also had this with MAME32 when running GameEx?

Have you checked to see if you have MAME.ini or MAME32.ini file which is setting the options for MAME? You may want to try just backing these up and deleting them to start from scratch. You also may have settings stored for every single MAME game that are wrong. These are in the MAME\ini folder. Sounds like you may be better just download a new version of MAME to a completely seperate directory, turning on the ArcadeVGA settings in GameEx and start there. Rick may have configured something for you thats specifically designed for another front end, I expect GameLauncher.

Check it out and as I said try running the last game outside of GameEx to see if its a GameEx issue or not. By the sound of it its not really a GameEx issues just you MAME config is wrong. Although of course Ill help. I dont know why you feel you have to give up so soon though, seems to me Ive only just started trying to help. Of course use another front end if you like though.

Thanks,

Tom

Well, I've been going at this for many days on and off, as my time permits. Everything runs at the right speed (zero dropped frames, normal sound) when both MAME and MAME32 are run on their own, without being "intercepted" by GameEx. They run fine as EXTERNAL programs, just not directly from within GameEx, no matter what settings within GameEx I either tweak or turn off. The sound is much quieter and it skips frames like crazy, which does not occur when run on their own. It's odd, I know, but that's exactly what's happening.

That's a good idea about the clean install. I'll try a from-scratch command line MAME directory and a few ROMs and point GameEx to that and see what happens. As usual, I'll post what happens. Fingers-crossed... (I'll be able to mess around some more late tonight)

And just an FYI, I still plan on using GameEx, of course, as it's nice all by itself, but I just may not be able to use it specifically for MAME for whatever reason, other than to launch it as an external application...

Ive had a thought about what the frame skipping could be down to. Although it's a long shot.

What sort of PC do you have in your cabinet?

By default GameEx maxes out all CPU's to produce fluid animations even on displays running up to 120hz

Some PC's especially cheap laptops and PC's with very fast memory/FSB, overheat, and when they overheat the CPU speed drops considerably. My own laptop does this, even when running MAME alone with the tripple buffer and vsync turned on.

Try setting the sleep setting under tweaks performance to 30, and also tell GameEx not to wait for VSYNC, as well as checking the PC physically to see if its overheating.

It's an HP AMD 64 3300+ with 1GB of RAM, ArcadeVGA card, Wells Fargo 27" arcade monitor, 160GB HD, Windows XP Home, etc. As long as I don't use GameEx to launch a version of MAME, I can get everything running perfectly, no matter how long the system is on.

I'll try some of the tweaks you suggest.

It's an HP AMD 64 3300+ with 1GB of RAM, ArcadeVGA card, Wells Fargo 27" arcade monitor, 160GB HD, Windows XP Home, etc.  As long as I don't use GameEx to launch a version of MAME, I can get everything running perfectly, no matter how long the system is on.

I'll try some of the tweaks you suggest.

hey Bill, just wanted to confirm although you said any version of MAME runs fine without GameEx, are you actually using the run last game option? Could you post the contents of this (right click, then edit).

Also, is GameEx playing any music, ambiance, or radio when using MAME?

What do you have set for the MAME audio mode? This could be reason for sound issue, although this should be apparant also when using run last game.

Just to clarify - Its important for me to help troubleshoot this, that when comparing running from gameex and without gameEx, you use "Run Last Game" from the program group.

• 2 weeks later...
I uninstalled GameEx, put in the new version and pointed to MAME instead of MAME32.  I still have quiet sound

I have this problem too; the sound in games is about half what it is when running straight through MAME. I've checked the audio when running through GameEx (Tab while playing), and it's not that. I did notice a command in AdvanceMame control line, -quiet, but I have AdvanceMame=False.

Has anyone had a result fixing this? I think the sound used to be ok, but I spend so long faffing about trying to get Daphne running, I can't remember!:blink:

Cheers

I have this problem too; the sound in games is about half what it is when running straight through MAME. I've checked the audio when running through GameEx (Tab while playing), and it's not that. I did notice a command in AdvanceMame control line, -quiet, but I have AdvanceMame=False.

Has anyone had a result fixing this? I think the sound used to be ok, but I spend so long faffing about trying to get Daphne running, I can't remember!:blink:

Cheers

Managed to fix this problem. I dont know why, but when I remapped the volume up/down in Mame, it didn't work. I pressed Tilde by mistake, and saw that the volume was down to -32db. Press right to bring it all the way up to 0db and it's perfect.

Hope this helps someone out.

Johnny

Hey there. I'm a newly financial Gamex User. I've been searching this forum for the last few days.

I seem to be having the same issue as Bill. In that when I execute games in MAME32 they run full screen, but when I execute them in GameEx they run a lot smaller.

I've tried several things as suggested in this thread but with no avail. Please Help. :(

Hey there.  I'm a newly financial Gamex User.  I've been searching this forum for the last few days.

I seem to be having the same issue as Bill.  In that when I execute games in MAME32 they run full screen, but when I execute them in GameEx they run a lot smaller.

I've tried several things as suggested in this thread but with no avail.  Please Help. :(

H Matty, there's no way to transfer he settings as far a I know, but I can help you get the get full screen.

Under advanced MAME options in the config. For the first setting add a space and then add -ddraw -hwstretch -effect sharp

Thanks for replying Tom.

So far I've already tried -ddraw and -hwstretch.  But I'll try -effect sharp tonight.  I'll let you know how I go!!

-effect sharp wont affect the size the game is displayed.

If those settings didnt work I suggest you start over with a new install of a recent version MAME in a different directory. I am pretty sure they should be on by default, so dont know whats going on.

Also just in case, check you havent got the ArcadeVGA setting enabled in GameEx. Unless your using one.

Still no different. I even installed a different version of MAME 32. BUT I did get myself a video card with TV out, as i'm using a TV in my cab. On my computer monitor it still shows with a black border but on the TV it does not. It's perfect. As long as it looks good on the TV, I don't care what it looks like on the Monitor. Strange though....