All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Visual Pinball FPS drop

Darkmeteor

For some reason, VP is rendering about 150 to 200 fps less when launched from PinballX. For exemple, when running in standalone or launched from hyperspin I get an average of 320 fps in Addams Family. When launched from PinballX the average drops to about 120, which makes the game stutter a lot when intense ledwiz scripts are running. I tried to set the priority of VP to above but it didn't change anything. Is there anything else I can try to get better VP performances when started with PinballX ? I'm running a 3 Ghz Core 2 Duo with a 2 GB GeForce 660, 4 GB RAM and Windows XP 32bit.

I only tried with a couple of tables, but I guess I'll have to find a way to massively edit the database (probably notepad) to set everything the same, at least for VP. I'll still have to have the 3rd screen turned on for some FP tables that don't have a 138x32 DMD that works with FutureDMD. Maybe a button in the database editor to set everything to off or on might be useful for some of us !

• 1 year later...

Topic back from the dead.

I am also seeing some minor FPS drop and slight video stuttering running PBX 1.99. I am running a Core2Duo 3GHZ, 4GB RAM, Nvidia 7600 video with Windows7 64bit, 3-monitors w/ B2s. Performance in VP not going through PBX, is totally smooth as silk.

Regarding this from Tom:

Also PinballX continues to render the backglass and 3rd monitor when running unless you tell it not to. That may be the issue.

Can I get some more information on this please? Are these setting in 1.99? Any other tweaks I need to consider?

Thanks

Bill

From Pinballx.net

PinballX will benefit from a multi core CPU and a quad core is recommended if using multiple displays.

May or may not be the issue, but it would seem based on other posts here in past months that you could be reaching the limits of what you CPU can deliver in PBX. Some discussions revealed many here had jumped from OC Q6600's and the like to more modern processors, and these issues disappeared.

• Like 1