All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

MAP File discussion

Has anyone considered for GotM gaming themes? Some ideas would be Atari, Sega, or other such Classics, Vertiapalooza (top Vertical games), Chompathon (Pac-Man and similar chomp or eating games), Karateka (karate and similar martial arts based games).

• Like 2

Has anyone considered for GotM gaming themes? Some ideas would be Atari, Sega, or other such Classics, Vertiapalooza (top Vertical games), Chompathon (Pac-Man and similar chomp or eating games), Karateka (karate and similar martial arts based games).

That's a very cool idea ;)

I'd like to setup a hi-score competition with games in every genre: platform / puzzle / shmup etc. Using GOTM gaming themes would automatically contribute to that. I'll also use additional polls for adding new games to our competition which will also contribute to that.

Thanks for sharing your idea !

• 6 months later...

So this idea literally JUST popped in my head..

Why don't we make a .map file for all our high score games? Then all you need to do is make a new emulator config in the Setup Wizard, have it point to your MAME rom path, and use the MAP file to sort and display only the games we include in the competition. Sounds simple enough, and it would solve the problem of having to go through all your MAME games trying to find the one's that are included in the competition. Whenever we create a new game, we'll just edit the MAP file to add the new game. It would be up to the competitors to build their config and make sure to keep an updated MAP file on hand (unless Adultery's wizardry could make an auto-download plugin *hint*hint*).

So what do you think? I'll work on building the MAP file right away if there's interest.

• Like 3

That sounds amazing Han !! A great idea :)

Looking forward to your mapfile allowing us to have some kind of hi-score gameex menu !! Maybe Adultery can jump in to help us ;) Maybe GameEx Evolution also has the possibilty to enhance and integrate our hi-score competion with GameEx itself (a little daydreaming here ;))...it's an exciting year !!

I just can't believe I never thought of it before... I was looking to have Tom rebuild a special high score version of GameEx so we could easily see what games are included and what the top scores are, but a MAP file solves that simply. The only downside to my dream GameEx build would be the lack of seeing everybody's scores, but that's what the forum is for.

I don't exactly understand what you mean... but I got the MAP file all laid out. I built the emulator config and custom menu entry for it. It all tested out brilliantly! I'll create a new thread and PIN/LOCK it so everybody can download the map and see how I have it configured. If you want to continue discussing it, please do so in this thread!

Yeah, when I put it all into play on my system, it really works great. I also added a little line on the Rom Name to identify which ones were GOTM, although I might decide to get rid of it. The extra '- September 2013 GOTM" bits makes the line too long and it looks kinda dumb. I might also remove all the (US, Set 1) stuff. I just did a quick cut/paste to get it together and get it on here. After a few of you guys decide to use it, let me know what you think and we'll go from there.

I didn't want to say anything earlier but Tom is right about MAME32 favorites list support, which is already supported and won't require a map file or for mame to be set up as a separate emulator. When I get home I'll post an example.

Yeah, basically you can point GameEx at a favorites folder from MAMEUI and it will put that list under the MAME menu. I made a set that splits up by category a long time ago, it's pretty easy to make a list and if you name the icon the same as the list it will also display an icon. I'll find it after school.

This is a great idea Han! I've been making a separate MAME set just for HiScore roms, using RomCenter but i like the simplicity of using a map file.

I'm also a bit uneducated as to what a Mame32 list is, would someone care to explain for us lesser enlightened folk? :)

EDIT - ninja'd by Adultery ^_^ ok so now i understand, but would that mean we would need MAMEUI aswell as our regular MAME installs, and can we compile it ourselves with the options we oh so like very much ;)

No, not at all. It's a simple ini file that you can make but it's hooked into MAMEUI outside of GameEx, so it uses that standard. The GameEx implementation is independent of any mame build.

It's super easy to make one, and it's easy less work than what Han had already done. I wish I would have thought of it sooner, could have saved a lot of extra work. Just download the ini, point the Mame options at the folder it's in, and you're set. :-)

I like your idea, don't get me wrong. But an ini is brainless both to maintain and use, so a person doesn't need to take the technical steps just to group all the games in a list. Adding a list item might also make people who normally wouldn't participate be more likely to play if it's already part of the GameEx install.

"Download this" is easier than "install this, move this, set this up, map this, etc". I could easily add an ini generator to the current db framework, which would take all your efforts out of the equation.

It's your thing, I'm not trying to take over or steal your thunder. But don't you think pressing a button and upgrading a zip is so much easier?

I could add a button that creates, zips, and uploads the list in a matter of minutes. I could even make a plugin that automatically updated the file so the end user doesn't need to know or do anything at all. The snapper plugin also only works for integrated MAME.

Just something to consider.

I already use the add to favourites option to have an easy access to my favourites, I just included the highscore contest's games to that list :D

Now, if you offer a favourite list, wouldn't that overwrite the user's favourite list too?

Nope, this is a custom MAME list, like the Trackball games, Horizontal, Vertical, Not Yet Played, etc. Has nothing to do with favorites.