All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Big Problems

mrudie

So I thought I'd give PinballX a try since I'm having an issue with Hyperpin, and I've used GameX in the past on my arcade cabinet. Just got a brand new VirtuaPin cabinet for pinball.

Downloaded PinballX, installed and set up.

When I launch, I get nothing but a black screen. Only way out is to hit Ctrl-Alt-Del, and then manually kill pinballx in the Task Manager.

So, I go back to the home page, and I see this:

Video codecs are a requirement. Shark Codecs are the recommended solution.

I USE THE LINK provided on the PinballX home page, and it takes me to: http://shark007.net/

I click on "Windows XP/Vista" (I'm running Windows XP).

I should have been on alert from all the ads with "Download" buttons, but I found a trusted source for download: MajorGeeks. I click on the MajorGeeks mirror link, and get taken to: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/vista_codec_package.html

After installing this codec, it did NOT fix PinballX - it still starts to a black screen, and I have to hit Ctrl-Alt-Del, and manually kill the process.

But the WORST PART is that the Shark codec I downloaded and installed from MajorGeeks installed MALWARE on my system!!!!!

I would suggest you STOP RECOMMENDING it immediately Mr. Spiers.

I am not a happy camper at all at the moment, not to mention I can't get PinballX to work at all.

As a followup, I have found the culprit of the ads and popup ads that I consider "malware" that was installed with the Shark codecs. It was a very concealed part of the install as you can see here:

sharkcodecmalwareads.jpg

First time around I simply clicked on "Next >" without reading closely enough. I have UNINSTALLED the shark codecs along with a program it installed called "Lyrics Pal" and the ads are not showing up anymore.

Regardless, I wouldn't recommend Shark codecs personally as they try to conceal the install of what I consider malware. I was getting very innapropriate popup ads and also ads that were placed right on google search pages, and even pages other than google.

BE CAREFUL what you agree to and hit "Next" on installing anything these days!! I let my guard down a bit.

With all that said, I still can't launch PinballX. I just get black screens.

Problem solved.

In the settings file I had:

[Startup]Playsound=TruePlayvideo=True

I changed them to:

[Startup]Playsound=FalsePlayvideo=False

PinballX loads now. I just have to figure out how to map the keys the same as Hyperpin.

Is there no startup video?

Im aware of the adware bundled in fact on the GameEx site I even forewarn people about this. It was not really appropriate to put the warning on the PinballX home page but its not unusual for software to come with adware these days. Several of my products do too but I tend to ensure I use ethical ones. I am sorry it bothered but you need to get used to that kind of thing to be honest.

Working in an enterprise IT environment, there is no escaping "adware" when performing installs. It is packaged with Java (base installs and upgrades), Adobe products, etc. Everything from Ask.com browser toolbars, MacAfee Security Scanner Plus, to some really obscure stuff and none of it relevant to what I am trying to install from a tech perspective.

It is even more noticeable with a lot of software offered as "free" or "open source." Bottom line, someone has to pay the bills for hosting the software. Including these ad-directed opportunities helps pay down those developers costs and to keep these offerings free to the end-user.

The only thing one can do is be alert and aware when installing any software. That said, I will continue to recommend the Shark007 codec packs as they have proven to be a solid "go to" for many codec needs in one well thought out package, The K-Lite pack that Spellbot recommends is also popular and seems to have a solid following in the emu community.

Working in an enterprise IT environment, there is no escaping "adware" when performing installs. It is packaged with Java (base installs and upgrades), Adobe products, etc. Everything from Ask.com browser toolbars, MacAfee Security Scanner Plus, to some really obscure stuff and none of it relevant to what I am trying to install from a tech perspective.

It is even more noticeable with a lot of software offered as "free" or "open source." Bottom line, someone has to pay the bills for hosting the software. Including these ad-directed opportunities helps pay down those developers costs and to keep these offerings free to the end-user.

The only thing one can do is be alert and aware when installing any software. That said, I will continue to recommend the Shark007 codec packs as they have proven to be a solid "go to" for many codec needs in one well thought out package, The K-Lite pack that Spellbot recommends is also popular and seems to have a solid following in the emu community.

Nicely put Mike.

Tom and everyone, thanks for your replies. I agree, I just need to be more careful, and Tom, thanks for confirming the issue with the startup video being set to True.

Looking forward to all the developments on this new pinball frontend!