All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Another display integration via plugin

Adultery

I'm thinking of writing a plugin to show some stuff on a third monitor. I use an arcade cab, not a pincab, so my question is for the pincab users:

I envision a custom project I might be starting up using a small LCD for a little extra bling (so it would be a 3rd monitor in full screen mode on my setup). I want to mount it above my main monitor and show some stuff on it (pictures maybe, instruction card, who knows). Something like this looks affordable and just perfect for what I want to do:

31VXlbeEY3L.jpg

I want to eventually integrate it into GameEx, but I thought it might be more useful with a pincab (it will also give me an excuse to get PinballX up and running and possibly lead to future developments for it). That being said... Does anyone have any suggestions I should consider before I start working on it? Might be a while as I need to scrape up the money for the monitor, but it will definitely get done.

Don't be shy! :)

• Like 2

There is HyperDMD that was recently released that, in absence of a DMD marquee, could probably be adapted to display on the mini monitor (recall the convo we had a few years ago about simulating a DMD or LCD display in GameEx a year or so ago?).

It may only be limited to Visual Pinball but I really don't know much about digital pinball emulation ATM, so anyone, correct me if I am wrong should it work with other pinball programs.

Ayways, I am sure that a plugin similar to this or a variation of your wonderful Game Info plugin that is adapted to display DMD, instructions, etc. would be welcome!

• 5 months later...

Just wanted to share my experience with that usb screen - they are great and I did have one as a secondary screen in a cab but it failed fairly soon, but then again it was second hand!.

The main problem for me was the occasional focus issues and the whole experience felt a bit clunky.

Once the old screen died it was replaced with a 7" VGA one like THIS ONE (although mine cost £46) the set up and usage are imho much better as its just another screen.

Summing up really I wish i had gone the vga route first as a spare output was available on my GPU.

If however that`s not the case for you personally my second choice if your MOBO supports it would still be to maybe get a second super cheap GPU just for a third screen.

I am a little uncomfortable posting this here as its the pinball forum but here it is in action - but well who does not like starwars?.

I could imagine that this would be nice in an arcade than a pinball cab.

To be honest I don't know where I should place that 4th Monitor in my cab...

imho it would be more comfortable if e.g. the instruction cards would be shown as loading screen while loading the table.

• 2 years later...

Sounds like this topic is related to my feature request posted at http://www.gameex.info/forums/topic/15762-pinballx-enhancementsfeatures-requests/?p=150249

Hi,

first of all, thank you very much for PinballX, I love it!

My V-Pin cabinet is an original williams standard body and the playfield is a 39" TV.

The TV is not mounted directly at the lock bar. There's an offset about 10cm which is required by the plunger.

Now I came up with an idea to make use of that empty space influenced by aprons of real pinball machines.

On these aprons you usally have two paper cards: instructions and price informations. The later ones are often replaced by "free play cards" created by the community.

I created such an apron to be mounted in the empty space between the lockbar and the TV screen. Instead of real paper cards, I mounted two 7" LCD-Displays connected via HDMI to the on-board graphics card of the PC. This 5 Monitor setup already works great but I want to ease the management of displaying images on these 7" screens.

So here's my feature request:

Can PinballX be extended to support two more screens to display instruction cards, additional to playfiled, back glass and DMD monitors?

I would love to see two additional folders where I can store images (or videos) named like the pinball table which will automatically displayed on the card displays. Just like the existing feature for back glasses and DMD videos. And it will require the same option as already existing for the back glass, if the image should be still shown while the game is running.

What do you think about my idea?

Is there a chance to get such an a "5 monitor support" added to PinballX or do I have to concentrate on building my own solution provided by a script?