All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Can't seem to get Sega CD working?

davidj1987

Hey everyone!

I am starting to setup disc based systems with GameEx and I am starting with Sega CD and I am having a hell of a time trying to set it up. I am using the latest TOSEC set so no bin/cue and I do have Daemon Tools installed, but no games are showing up even if I extract them or leave them in the .zip archives - which would be preferred. There are .CCD .IMG and .SUB files in the archives. Now, If I manually mount the ISO and open it in Kega Fusion as a mounted ISO, works fine but not in GameEx, all I get is the BIOS screen and when I press start I go right to the CD audio screen and I can't even play the audio tracks or anything, and yes I have my BIOS setup properly.

Here's the part of my .cfg that relates to Sega CD:

emu_28_enabled=True
emu_28_system=Sega CD
emu_28_category=Console
emu_28_emulator=Fusion
emu_28_version=3.64
emu_28_rating=8.9
emu_28_requiredfiles=eu_mcd1_9210.bin,jp_mcd1_9112.bin,us_scd1_9210.bin
emu_28_info=Fusion(formerly known as Kega II and Kega Fusion) is a Sega SG1000, SC3000, Master System, Game Gear, Genesis/Megadrive, SegaCD/MegaCD and 32X emulator
emu_28_titletext=Sega CD
emu_28_startpagename=[Console] Sega CD (Fusion)
emu_28_startpagelogo=Sega CD
emu_28_command=Fusion.exe -scd -fullscreen -CDROM F
emu_28_romfilter=
emu_28_database=[Console] Sega CD
emu_28_configfile=[Mapping Off] Exit (Process Close)
emu_28_mapfile=
emu_28_rompath=e:\scd
emu_28_snappath=C:\Assets\Sega CD\Snaps
emu_28_titlepath=C:\Assets\Sega CD\Titles
emu_28_boxpath=C:\Assets\Sega CD\Boxes
emu_28_cartpath=C:\Assets\Sega CD\Cartridges
emu_28_manualpath=C:\Assets\Sega CD\Manuals
emu_28_controlpanelpath=C:\Assets\Sega CD\Controls
emu_28_workingpath=D:\emulators\Fusion
emu_28_mapkeys=True
emu_28_waitbeforekeys=
emu_28_sendkeys=
emu_28_replacedash=False
emu_28_replaceunder=True
emu_28_capitals=False
emu_28_removebrackets=True
emu_28_showdesktop=True
emu_28_debug=False
emu_28_alsolaunch=
emu_28_launchbefore=""C:\Program Files (x86)\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe" -mount 0,"[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]""
emu_28_launchafter=cmd /c "C:\Program Files (x86)\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe" -unmount 0
emu_28_excludedfiles=
emu_28_custombackground=
emu_28_playmusic=False
emu_28_dontshowinfo=
emu_28_playselectionmusic=False
emu_28_selectionmusicfolder=
emu_28_pcgame=False
emu_28_gamesin7zips=True
emu_28_playinscreensaver=False
emu_28_showmostplayed=True
emu_28_randommostplayed=True
emu_28_cdcheck=False
emu_28_cdcheckfile=
emu_28_videosnappath=
emu_28_musicpath=
emu_28_romsinfolders=True
I beleive I enabled ISO support when I installed GameEx, and keep in mind some of these settings like the launch before and launch after even though they are in my .cfg file they don't reflect in the setup wizard (I presume this is normal) and I haven't set up media yet so I am using the default directories for now. Hopefully it is easier when I setup PS1, Saturn, NeoGeo CD and TG16/PCE CD! Thanks again!

When reporting a possible GameEx bug or error, please ensure you submit a copy of your log.txt and gameex.ini file so we may quickly assist you. Please refer to this link for additional information. You may want to use runitgame.bat to see the results that may point to a setup error. Please post the resulting log file as well.

Have you tried running the images straight in Fusion? I think the latest version supports CD-Images without needing to be mounted first. I have bin/cue images and they work fine for me. My setting is:

rom filter = *.cue

command = fusion.exe -scd -fullscreen "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]"

All the rest is pretty much as needed. For the most part, all you need is the -scd flag to tell Fusion to run the file as a Sega CD rom.

I think the .img is the actual IMAGE, and the others are like filler/support files. Try having Fusion open up just the .img file directly. It might not be that, what ever file has the largest size is the IMAGE to load. The only thing you might break is the digital audio if you don't have the support files to say what tracks are audio and which ones are the data.

TOSEC is a bit tricky like that. I hate to say it. If you spent a lot of time getting a complete TOSEC collection, I'm sorry. You're better off getting a NoIntro set. TOSEC is a complete rip of every bit from every disk. Even if the disks aren't playable. Their whole purpose is 100% total digital backup of everything available. NoIntro on the other hand takes only the parts of TOSEC that are compatible, playable, 100% working with no issues/errors. They're the better choice. I had a NoIntro set (all backed up on burnt CD's now) and they're in bin/cue. GoodTools format is ok too, but a little more heavy on filesize. What the GoodTools does is combine all regions of the same game into a single file. So Sonic CD that's in the USA is included along with the Sonic CD from Japan and Sonic CD from Europe. Then they're all zipped into one file for easy storing. GameEx will work with GoodTools in that it will automatically unzip the file and display the contents so you can choose which region of the game you want to play. In most cases however, I just went with the USA NoIntro sets since I can't read Japanese (cuts out at least 1/3rd the size there) and I don't need PAL versions on my NTSC TV (cuts out another 1/3). If there are some Japanese only games, I can pick and chose them as needed. Anyway, just use that as a reference. The fact that you have a TOSEC is fine too. It's just that their images aren't going to be in a compatible format a lot of the time, and they will have a TON more stuff than you need.

If worse comes to worse, you might think about getting some kind of batch converter that can convert all images into a different format (ie; .img into .bin/cue). If non such program exists (I'm sure there is, but if not) we can help you another way. You might have to go through the process of setting up an external LAUNCH BEFORE to mount the images and LAUNCH AFTER to unmount them afterwards. Then you just have to tell GameEx to launch Fusion.exe -scd and then launch before to launch daemontools and mount the [rompath]\[romfile] then have the launch after tell daemontools to unmount. Shouldn't be too hard. It'll work in the meanwhile till you get around to possibly obtaining a different romset.

Just to update here.. I spent a little more time going over your settings in your OP....

-- CRAP CAN'T PASTE?! --

You have what appears to be 2 quotation marks "" in your LaunchBefore path. Try removing them.

Also, you say you're not seeing your rom list in GameEx.. try setting a rom filter to something like *.img. If they're zips, try setting it to *.zip. And are you sure that e:\scd is the proper location for your roms? Try adding another \ at the end: e:\scd\

I use No-Intro for my roms. I have no problems with my cart based systems thnakfully! ISO's I use whatever is the best - Redump seems to be a bit behind the curve with Sega CD compared to TOSEC (IMO) however I had a breakthru when I used my games that are bin/cue for Sega CD - virtual clone drive wasn't installed but I can only load the .bin files as VCD doesn't support .cue files and when you use ".bin" files in Kega, the game will run but no CD audio. :/

I'll keep pluggin away.

Did you try my Virtual Drive Loader plugin? I keep all my ISOs in 7zips and mount them with the plugin. Super easy to use.

http://www.gameex.info/forums/topic/12415-plugin-virtual-drive-loader/

You don't have to use launch before and after command in most cases. :)

DOH! I completely forgot about that plugin you made! You should give it a try, it does make things a lot easier. Also, for your bin/cue images that you DO have, just have Fusion open the .cue, it'll know to use the .bin as well.

I personally don't keep bin/cue/iso without 7-zipping nowadays since I store my games on my NAS server, so there's a huge benefit to mounting as opposed to keeping those big files on your cabinet. :)

Daemon tools I got working.

So sorry to double post but I have a progress update, and I cant attach my new .cfg in my last post. I got .cue files working but how can I get .ccd files in .zip archives working? I have "gamesin7zips" enabled but I have tried adding "*.ccd" remove quotes in the .cfg but no work... Daemon tools supports it. It is missing in the current .cfg though. Any dice? Last thing I need for Sega CD and hopefully this will work for other systems but they may be .cue in zip archives.

GameEx.ini

Ahh do you have multiple filters in the rom filter section? Does it say *.cue;*.ccd or something similar? If your answer is yes on that, it's something I need to fix (I may be using old code that doesn't split filters into an array like it's supposed to). I can fix that (assuming you're using the plugin).

Nevermind, you're not using the plugin.

So if you manually mount the CCD file and load the mounted image the sound works, but if the loader loads the image it doesn't? That's strange... Can you post your runitgame.bat? Open it in a text editor (Right Click, Edit) and copy/paste the data here after you load up the CCD in GameEx.

Additionally, here are a few changes in your GameEx.ini that you need to address:

[Emulator_20]
VideoSnapPath=
CDCheckFile=
CDCheck=False
RandomMostPlayed=True
ShowMostPlayed=True
PlayInScreenSaver=False
GamesIn7Zips=True
PCGame=False
SelectionMusicFolder=
PlaySelectionMusic=False
DontShowInfo=
PlayMusic=False
CustomBackground=
ExcludedFiles=
LaunchAfter=
LaunchBefore=
AlsoLaunch=*.img;*.zip <---------- Delete These!
Debug=False
ShowDesktop=True
RemoveBrackets=True
Capitals=False
ReplaceUnder=True
ReplaceDash=False
SendKeys=
WaitBeforeKeys=
MapKeys=True
WorkingPath=D:\emulators\Fusion
ControlPanelPath=D:\pinball\New folder\Sega CD\Controls
ManualPath=D:\pinball\New folder\Sega CD\Manuals
CartPath=D:\pinball\New folder\Sega CD\Cartridges
BoxPath=D:\pinball\New folder\Sega CD\Boxes
TitlePath=D:\pinball\New folder\Sega CD\Titles
SnapPath=D:\pinball\New folder\Sega CD\Snaps
RomPath=D:\ISOS\Sega CD
MapFile=
ConfigFile=[Mapping Off] Exit (Process Close)
Database=[Console] Sega CD
RomFilter=*.img;*ccd <---------- ADD THIS
Command=Fusion.exe -scd -fullscreen "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]" <---------- DELETE THIS**
StartPageLogo=Sega CD
StartPageName=Sega CD
TitleText=Sega CD
Info=Fusion(formerly known as Kega II and Kega Fusion) is a Sega SG1000, SC3000, Master System, Game Gear, Genesis/Megadrive, SegaCD/MegaCD and 32X emulator
RequiredFiles=eu_mcd1_9210.bin,jp_mcd1_9112.bin,us_scd1_9210.bin
DownloadUrl=http://www.gamesdbase.com/setupwizard/emulators/download/Fusion.7z
Rating=8.9
Version=3.64
Emulator=Fusion
Category=Console
System=Sega CD
Enabled=True
lastgame=

** = If you don't have the plugin enabled specifically for this emulator in the plugin's config, you should remove that configuration and use this command instead. Essentially this is the plug-and-play command to load the image to DamonsTools without any need for mount and unmount commands.
Command=Fusion.exe -scd -fullscreen [DTLOADER] <---------- ADD THIS

Does that help any? :)

YES! I got it working except I had to set SCSI for DTOOLS and now it is grand. I think I have figured out everything except the menu bar in SNES9X (I set the hide menu to true) but when I press escape... I get the menu bar and I have to do alt f4 to exit back to gameex. Grr.

• Like 1

If you open the configuration for zsnes there's an option to disable the GUI (front-end mode I think it is). I'm not sure about SNES9x though.

YES! I got it working except I had to set SCSI for DTOOLS and now it is grand. I think I have figured out everything except the menu bar in SNES9X (I set the hide menu to true) but when I press escape... I get the menu bar and I have to do alt f4 to exit back to gameex. Grr.

Awesome! Glad you got it to work!