All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Game Info Add-on For High Score Competition

I added a feature to Game Info to show a message if the game you select is on the list of games to compete for. What do you think?

I want to add in the top scores for each game and the settings required, and release the XML to you guys. We can keep an official copy on the server and I can have Game Info download updates automatically, if someone would be willing to maintain the XML. Here's the POC:

post-680-0-26772000-1370566767_thumb.png

I want to add a specific key press to bring up a form with all this data, accessible from GameEx's menu as well as in the game... It would be nice to be able to look at that info while playing. This is the dialog form that pops up when you actually select the game, I'll probably remove the URL to the forum and add [PRESS SHIFT+9 FOR MORE INFO] instead.

Can I get that header logo from the score table (or can someone make me one) in a PNG with transparency for the info screen header?

Here's the XML as it stands so far. Pretty self explanatory really. Just need someone to maintain it and keep the structure intact.

gx_hiscore.txt

PS: Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I know it's a locked topic. You can move it if you so choose. :)

• Like 3

Hi Adultery,

WOW ! That's amazing :)

I'm really excited one of our GameEx / Database guru's has joined the hi-score competition we have setup.

That was really something I was hoping for. Thanks a million !

Your idea of adding in our hi-scores in the GameEx menu and "in-game" is amazing. A very great idea !

I'd very much like to maintain and update the xml-files you create !

Here's a link to the header logo: http://i193.photobuc...ard-logo-v2.png

Thanks again!

GC

Awesome! Not suitable for my cabinet, but it's a great idea anyway :D

What about adding an option to gameex's rom's info screen showing both highscores, local (for highscores supporting mame versions) and global (so it would download the game's highscores daily?)

The short answer is... I can't do that. What you're asking is out of the scope of the plugin system

It's a good idea, but the plugin system is completely independent of GameEx itself (it's really more of an add-on than a GameEx native app). I wish I could help out more on this.

It's indeed a request changing GameEx itself instead of an independant upgrade / plugin like "Game Info" is.

Maybe if the Game Info plugin for our Hi-Score Competition is ready I will consider pitching this idea to Tom. It would be a cool feature if GameEx is also able to show the hi-scores of our competition within GameEx for those with a single screen setup.

Apart from this, we're very excited and grateful you're creating such a cool plugin ! :) I will definitely consider adding a second screen to my setup to enjoy the plugin you're creating! Keep up the good work Adultery :)

Thanks.

GC

The backend is done already, and I'd be more than happy to share my hiscore VB.NET class with Tom if he wanted it ( it dumps all the data in the XML to a DataSet), so it's nice and easy to integrate. Most of the rest is cosmetic.

I finished (sans testing on my cabinet) the integration and the display already. I'll snap some pics and share them soon.

• Like 1

The backend is done already, and I'd be more than happy to share my hiscore VB.NET class with Tom if he wanted it ( it dumps all the data in the XML to a DataSet), so it's nice and easy to integrate. Most of the rest is cosmetic.

Adultery, thank you for your great work so far! Sharing your hiscore VB.NET class with Tom sounds like a great idea ! (btw, I've also send you a PM about this)

Since the plugin displays as a footer, you can run it on a single monitor and it will not interfere with game play at all.

That would be amazing :) --> integrating our hi-scores in GameEx for all users including those with a single monitor setup would be ideal !

I really like where this is going. What a great community we have here at GameEx ! ^_^

@ Dazzle: great having you back around buddy! :)

GC

Adultery, thank you for your great work so far! Sharing your hiscore VB.NET class with Tom sounds like a great idea ! (btw, I've also send you a PM about this)

That would be amazing :) --> integrating our hi-scores in GameEx for all users including those with a single monitor setup would be ideal !

I really like where this is going. What a great community we have here at GameEx ! ^_^

@ Dazzle: great having you back around buddy! :)

GC

Not sure if you understood me correctly - the feature for running on a single monitor already exists and has for some time! :)

The footer will only work on a single screen when GameEx is in Windowed Mode. It's not what the plugin was designed for, but I added this functionality when I was testing on my dev machine which is a laptop and therefore only has one screen. :)

Although it works this way as Drac pointed out, it's more of a side effect than a feature..

Well this turned out pretty OK... :)

HiScore_GI.png

You can view the current XML here:

http://gameinfo.hfc-essentials.com/hiscore/HiScore.xml

This will look for and download an updated version automagically if one is found on the server, so as long as the XML is updated, the scores will be too. The background is customizable with every other theme element.

I'll be rolling out a release soon. Thanks for your help/advice everyone. :)

• Like 2