All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[CABINET] Mago Nostromo

stigzler

Dive in, tthurman. Give yourself a year and permission to make mistakes, and you'll be golden! Oh, and why not put yourself on the map whilst you're at it!? (Apologies, regulars!)

Draco - it is! Old 150W stereo lying round my loft. Makes for fantastic sound in the cab (with two corresponding old sony car speakers at the top and the bottom, a Sub + amp I bought from a local car boot for £30!)

I commend your resourcefullness! The dad of a friend of mine had one he adapted for use in his garage work bench. Since it was not insulated against the extremes of humidity and temperatures, his rationale was that if it would work in a car, it would work well in the garage and last much longer than a source designed for inside use.

I commend your resourcefullness! The dad of a friend of mine had one he adapted for use in his garage work bench. Since it was not insulated against the extremes of humidity and temperatures, his rationale was that if it would work in a car, it would work well in the garage and last much longer than a source designed for inside use.

Funny!

I've used that same logic to put one down in the pool shed. Granted I haven't done it yet, but it is pretty logical thinking, isn't it? I haven't been able to bring myself to subjecting the new JBL's to the extremes yet, regardless of being all weather rated.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello folks,

Finally getting round to finishing touches... artwork!

What do you guys think of this as a Marquee? Will be in vector format for finish.

post-14176-0-47395800-1399581561_thumb.p

All feedback welcome. The artwork bit's a nightmare - like the 2 day paint job on a house that's taken 8 years to build!

I like it a lot, and in your back-lit setup, it will look great!

Funny, I was just thinking about this today, and I think it would be cool if Tom, or someone with his blessing, who also happened to be talented with graphics, designed a sort of official cabinet icon "Driven by GameEx", or Powered by, something like that. Just an idea, but I sort of visioned the "Driven by" being rounded over the current "G" in the GameEX logo.

I can see this popping up on builds down the road, marquee's like yours for instance, and adding a nice touch! Sort of like a intel inside thing! Eh, just another idea floating around in my head while I try and visualize different ideas for my own build.

• Like 1

Thanks tthurman....

So guys... on final push to get this monstrous white elephant of a distraction from post-relationship blues finished. Think I'm gonna settle on this artwork. What you guys think?

post-14176-0-73410400-1400013477_thumb.p

post-14176-0-61188700-1400013863_thumb.p

post-14176-0-64024200-1400013487_thumb.p

Failing that, I might just spray it brown.

• Like 3

I'm betting that side art will be a bit of a challenge to get on, but it looks great!

Seeing how you are getting near closure, at least on this phase of the build, you're making me wish I had already started mine.

It's a great build that is only getting better. You hard work has paid off!

With any luck, you might actually get to play sometime!

Cheers draco. Spiffy is good in an English man's book.

Tthurman thanks. Youre certainly building anticipation for your build, but not sure we can all wait another 3 years! You should post any designs or ideas and let us all spur you on!

Whoa. I've been working on this off and on for the past 4/5 months. It was just this weekend that I decided to knuckle down and get this finished. Innit funny how the stars align sometimes?

Of course, it could just be pure chance.

Great artist. Tuned into the psycho-sexual sub-conscience of millions. :)

That's attention to detail that I don't recall seeing anybody else do, I like it!

240V at 50Hz is such a different animal to soak up, for me anyway. Makes me not feel so badly about my lacking understanding of the whole -48V scene!

Nice touch man!

I like it. I'm not a big alien guy, so I might not be the best critic. It looks great though. I got my side art from www.whatisblik.com. I just painted the cabinet and threw on the Mario wall decal artwork from their site. I saved a bunch of money on ordering custom artwork.

OK - after some brutally honest feedback in byoac forums, seirously thinking about changing my designs. Some good points about the sideart looking knocked together and my marquee looking too busy. So redesign - would appreciate any feedback. This artwork bit is proving to be a real headache!

(These are mockups with bitmaps. Final versions vectorised)

nostormo_side_V3.png

nostormo_side_V3%2Bxen.png

Nortomo_V3.png

And some experimental side art:

nostormo_side_V3_random.png

Dunno whether to go with or without the xenomorph on the side. Think I prefer without, but seems a shame not to include it. Thought about one side with, one side without, but would feel a little unbalanced. Feedback welcomed as really wanna draw a line under this!!

• Like 1

I think the top two side arts much improved of the first round you posted, and I can see how some would think the previous marquee was busy. The new one does have a cleaner look without the mass grouping of logos at the hands/claws.

The bottom side art isn't bad, but I don't care for it nearly as much. I just prefer the original look, vs. the Prometheus based version.

I don't think the first round look rushed, but your tweaking has produced better results, the contrasting text really jumps out.

my .02

Thanks tthurman for the very helpful and nicely phrased response. The more I look at it - the happier I am over the original versions.

Last decision to make - xenomorph vs no xenomorph. Again, the more I look, the more I favour without. However, would welcom any thoughts...

nostormo_side_V3%2Bxen.png

Dunno whether to go with or without the xenomorph on the side. Think I prefer without, but seems a shame not to include it. Thought about one side with, one side without, but would feel a little unbalanced. Feedback welcomed as really wanna draw a line under this!!

I like the Xenomorph included, however, & i know it's just a mockup, but he/it looks slightly out of place. I thinks if you softened the edges of your cut slightly he'd look better. Also. and this is just what i would do, is desaturate the bottom half a little bit, (not so it's grayscale, just to lessen the browns a twinge) then give it a slightly blue-ish tint so it gels more with the top part.

I know this art business seems to get you all worked up but you gotta keep the end game in sight ;) It'll all be worth it when you see yer mates jaws on the floor after you tell em it was all your doing :D

EDIT - Kind of like this (done real quick :P ):

post-6865-0-32527500-1401203056_thumb.pn

But it's just more about preference than anything else :)

Really like your artwork, you did a fantastic job so far. I think making a good artwork is the toughest but also most rewarding step toward finishing one's cabinet! (i know - been there :) )

I as well would stick with the xenomorph - but wondered if you thought about discarding the top image. I think the xenomorph is such a striking pic it doesn't need a second one. Also you wouldn't need to match colors and the like between the two pics which can get a bit hairy. You could put the Nostromo logo in the top spot, making it a bit bigger and maybe align it with the logo on the front (marquee). For the background in the upper part maybe you could use some kind of white dots to simulate a star filled universe or some planet (or part of) like in the opening scenes of the first movie.

Again, great artwork already. All suggestions strictly based on personal preference. :)

• Like 2