All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[CABINET] Mago Nostromo

stigzler

Hi folks,

Well thanks to various things, including GameEx, I'm now getting closer to a build - aiming to start next week.

I'm guessing there's folks on here who have done their own build, so would really appreciate some feedback before construction to avoid any silly mistakes of errors!

I've put together a site on which my design is placed. If anyone has a spare minute to cast their eye over - be very much appreciated!

https://sites.google.com/site/alienarcade74/sub-projects/cabinet-design

Thanks

Steve

• 5 months later...

Whoa!! June!! Started build almost 6 months ago! And there was I thinking it was a two month project.

Well, just had a week's leave and had a big run at it. Full of man-flu, but this **!@*'s gotta end!!!

Getting close to the end:

IMG_0183.png

Wiring, Vinyl Artwork and system setup left! May have this monstrosity running before Christmas. :)

Thanks KRC. I spent ages on that - designing it, planning it, sourcing materials, learning new woodworking techniques, paint techniques, PC hacks, electronics....

oh no wait.... I'm referring to the big bleedin black thing in the middle of the picture!! ;)

Although, tbh, when I posted this, I was thinking I'm still happy on my choice of clock all those years ago...

:D

• Like 1

Thanks KRC. I spent ages on that - designing it, planning it, sourcing materials, learning new woodworking techniques, paint techniques, PC hacks, electronics....

oh no wait.... I'm referring to the big bleedin black thing in the middle of the picture!! ;)

Although, tbh, when I posted this, I was thinking I'm still happy on my choice of clock all those years ago...

:D

:lol:

• 2 months later...

This whole thread makes me laugh. All I can think about is how my lurking on this forum just creates more work for myself. I think the main thing I would say is to never make an arcade cabinet if you are somewhat of a perfectionist. There seems to always be something out there that is better than what you currently have. I turn on the thing expecting to play a game and I see some game name that doesn't make sense to me. I then start out on the long journey of forum lurking to find an answer. After being unable to locate the answer (mainly due to laziness most likely) I either post a message topic or message someone who I know is more versed on the topic than I am. Thank god for that and the ability to pick peoples brains on here (thanks to all who have helped me through my pain!!). Oh, then I get to posting the thing. 50% of the time I then read it because I have an unhealthy attitude towards my own grammar.. and then come to realize I already know the answer and feel like a dummy. Don't even get me started on the cabinet. I think it's great right now..... But, wouldn't it be awesome to have a spinner from Ultimarc... oooohhh even better, what about a steering wheel for pole position... oh, if I get a steering wheel I should probably get the pedal... because how authentic is it to brake and accelerate with a button... Then I go to Ultimarc and realize the things I want are like $200 plus shipping and I go back to using my joystick and cursing. OH WAIT!!! What's this?!?! Ultimarc makes a spinner with a wheel attachment? How cool is that. Thanks for passing Go, but do not collect your money as now your wife is pissy because you bought something more for your hobby... Damn. It truly does never end!

However, if I had to do it all over again I would do it in a heartbeat. Nothing beats having your friends over that used to play all those arcades with you at the mall and pizza joints and seeing their faces as you start up that game you laid so many quarters down at one time. I remember rolls of quarters... rolls people! Just don't tell my wife.. :P:wub:

Spinner, steering wheel, starwars Yolk(?) waaay down my list at present! Despite building the cab around interchangable CP!!

Show us yer cab, Max!!

Friends faces when playing.... I'm on it. Working on built in webcam with time-lapse snaps to capture those grimaces and gurns ;)

I had to build mine as a 4 player, because I loved games like TMNT and NBA JAM. I then quickly realized that if I built a 4 player, I would have to make the control panel (pushbuttons area, etc) detachable or it wouldn't fit in the door ways of my house. I have a few old pictures of my cabinet. Pictures are in the linked thread below.

http://www.gameex.info/forums/topic/12034-my-cab-is-done-photos-attached-now-i-need-good-references-for-using-wiimotes/

Keep in mind my title! I said I was finished! Not the case! I have done a few things since this post. Mainly, I put a nice layer of acrylic over my control panel. That sucked, because I had already wired everything. But it really looks better. I also changed the P1 and P2 joysticks to a brand from Ultimarc that switches between 4way and 8 way. That was something I never thought about until Pacman would get stuck in corners using my 8 way's.

I see you either sand blasted your coin door or sanded off the paint. I've been debating doing that, because the used coin door I bought is peeling in a few spots. I'm worried it was lead based paint. That may be my next project. It still looks fine, just peeling a little in one corner. Touched it up with some oil based paint.

Friends faces when playing.... I'm on it. Working on built in webcam with time-lapse snaps to capture those grimaces and gurns ;)

I put a camera in my cabinet for this exact reason. One day I'll actually get around to making the plugin that takes the pictures with it. For now it sits hidden behind the glass waiting to take its first picture. :-)

My cab is Mario themed, I cut out an invincibility star from the bezel work and put a camera in, and trimmed it out with yellow foam. Hardly anyone notices it, which will make for more fun when I get it to actually snap pictures. :-)

@Max - Drill + wirebrush attachment. 30 minute job! Hammerite hammered finish spray on - job done in half day!! One of best savings made - £30 for solid coin door + multi-coin mech! :)

@ Adultery - found a great, small app for this. It places timelapse'd cam snaps and corresponding screenshot in directories. Also has batch process merge camsnaps with screenshot so you can see what was happening on screen (unfortunately this part not automated). Open source, hobbiest developer:

Chronolapse:

http://code.google.com/p/chronolapse/

Was gonna just point gameex to relevant folders so could review the gurns! Also, could save to dropbox and have "present gurn cam pic" on sites etc :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Your post hits a little close to home. I've been debating this, debating that, but have yet to jump into to building. I like to take my time, in hopes I don't get into it, and screw something up. Birch plywood has been in the garage for three years now, and my CP was purchased over five years ago. :wub::unsure:B) My build will be pretty unconventional, and so planning has gone from "wow that would be cool", to "that's to much work, keep it simple and clean". If I get overly complex, I'll never finish.

Seeing a killer build like yours gives me incentive!

Great work!

• Like 1