All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[CABINET] Mago Nostromo

stigzler

Really like your artwork, you did a fantastic job so far. I think making a good artwork is the toughest but also most rewarding step toward finishing one's cabinet! (i know - been there :) )

I as well would stick with the xenomorph - but wondered if you thought about discarding the top image. I think the xenomorph is such a striking pic it doesn't need a second one. Also you wouldn't need to match colors and the like between the two pics which can get a bit hairy. You could put the Nostromo logo in the top spot, making it a bit bigger and maybe align it with the logo on the front (marquee). For the background in the upper part maybe you could use some kind of white dots to simulate a star filled universe or some planet (or part of) like in the opening scenes of the first movie.

Again, great artwork already. All suggestions strictly based on personal preference. :)

I don't know how much trouble it would be to try your suggestions, but I think they are good. Sort of a less is more type thinking! Note: the graphis thing isn't something I'm skilled at, so this is my ignorance showing!

stiglzer, I'm partial to the Tempest marquee, as far as game marquees go. What do you plan to do with nine different marquees, rotate them?

On a side note: I finally watched Promethous, just tonight :P

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ah Prometheus... the tricky second album....

So, taking your advice into account.... I am gonna keep the top graphic.. dunno why - gut feeling. However, you were right Daz - blimey - he did stick out didn't he?

So, another version, fully vectorized with a (hopefully) more blended xenomorph:

post-14176-0-73360900-1402869964_thumb.p

A real struggle to truly blend him - especially as it's vector. However, I'm hoping to get away with the slightly 'cartooney' feel of the black outline, as people will be able to see the vectors at a middle distance.

Your feedback, as ever, is truly valued. Damn, this bit is hard - especially with a Gig inkscape file on a 3 year old computer :/

• 1 year later...

Gawd. Where's the time go?

Marquee sorted. Plexi on order. Last thing to do: Sideart.

I am finding this the hardest thing to sign off/do of all the build!

Ditched my previous designs. Think I'm going to go for a single grpahic-art type image. My remaining dilemma is whether to keep the sideart green-toned to compliment the rest of my cab (all green - green lighting etc - see earlier posts) or go full whammy and go colour?

Two possibilities below - whatcha think?

post-14176-0-69350400-1448921908_thumb.p

post-14176-0-27433100-1448921927_thumb.p

• Like 1

I think the green is by far the better fit. That and the comic-bookish feel it reminds me of makes me think the green lighting down the sides will really jump out and grab your attention without being busy at all.

You've really had some nice looking designs all along, I think.

• 1 year later...

4.5 years in and Nostromo's becoming the 200 year old hammer. You know.. I've replaced the handle 3 times and the head twice...

So my car-boot sub woofer amp finally gave up the ghost. I was pleased in a way, because it was always a crappy sound - muddy and undefined. So, there was nothing for it but to buy a new sub amp for my cab:

IMAG1003.jpg

It's a beast. Wired it up tonight for a quick dry run + sounds awesome. Solid, defined bass with no distortion at the lows...

It also comes with a little breakout dial to manually adjust the strength of the bass which I'm gonna mount on the top of the cab, out of sight. 

Ran Space Invaders through it - amazeballs! Imagine that duh...duh...duh...duh but with super low bass tones :)

So, that's the main display, sub amp, small display and joysticks replaced. It's like painting the Forth bridge!

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

So, a few weeks later than expected (oh no, wait, make that months....uh no, no, my bad - make that years :/ ) finally got round to getting my side-art printed and installed. Also got the T-molding installed, so exciting to have a project envisaged in 2013 finally coming together!

In the end, I went for an unobtrusive sideart design (black and white and not too prominent, almost looks abstract if you don't focus on it) as the main features of this cab turned out to be the dynamic marquee display and controls display. The way these work tie the game's colour schemes together, thus presenting the front of the cab in the game's colours. Thus, I had to keep the control panel and sideart quite neutral so as not to clash with all the possibilities.  Kept it black and white top keep it colour neutral. Very happy with the sideart finish and was easier than I thought it was going to be. The t-molding is also super dark  green, so this also helps with the neutrality of the 'bright work'

Anywhoos, vid:

• Like 2

Love it!

A pretty drastic change of direction given the last prospects you let us vote on, but I love the subtlety!

There was once a time in which I thought I may perhaps finish before you.....bollocks!   :D

The heat gun is a bit toasty on the thumbs, eh?