All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

LEADERBOARD Hi-Score Competition

Speaking of expanding and new users. We had a new user who has come, and now decided to go. His scores are unmatched. Should we start to consider removing his scores from the boards, to give everybody a little easier goal to match, plus enhance a lot of leaderboard positions?

There are (currently) 52 hi-score games. The user (TiF) you're referring to has posted 28 hi-scores of which 12 are #1 spots.

Perhaps 3 of these games (Juno First, Robotron and Gyruss) are REALLY BIG scores compared to our #2 and #3 hi-score spots. Perhaps there are a few other games like Pang, Green Beret and Blazing Star which are also tough to beat but surely not impossible. So, it's not thàt bad.

Removing hi-scores is also a slippery slope which I think we shouldn't go down. His hi-scores are pretty insane but he has even bigger (officialy verified) hi-scores on the games mentioned above. So, just removing scores because someone is perhaps too good or perhaps not very involved with our community is not something I'd like to do.

Also, with our new Leaderboard point mechanics hi-score members are "forced" to play the majority - if not all - of our hi-score games to really have a shot at becoming 1st, 2nd or 3rd at our General Board. So, more games and more members playing the majority of our games will result in the less enthusiastic / less involved hi-score members having a hard time to climb our ladder or even drop down our Leaderboard Ladder. And that's how it should be....the enthusiastic and involved players are rewarded this way.

Of course there are always low, medium and pro skilled players in our competition. Low and medium skilled players will perhaps never have a chance to compete with our top 3. Imho, playing in our competition is however about having fun playing classic arcade games, competing with players at your own level and trying to improve your personal best score at each game.

I hope this made sense ;)

~ GC

• Like 5

I just thought I'd mention it. I agree with your opinion though. Cheers!

Keep in mind what you and your fellow mods always preach: No time constrictions, come and go as you please. Removing his scores would go directly against that. Unless you want to complicate things by implementing rules stating mandatory submissions to maintain Leaderboard spots, we should just let bygons be bygons. Plus this guy is innocent till proven guilty.

• Like 2

We accepted all of TiF's previous scores, and they still stand. Agreed some of them are hard to beat, but that doesn't make them in any way suspicious. They are genuine according to our rules and will remain the ones to beat. I wish y'all the best of luck, or skill :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

# Two new announcements #

>> We welcome our newest hi-score member Millerbrad ! Thank you for joining our Hi-Score Competition and good luck playing our hi-score games :)

>> we have a brand new Leaderboard banner !! It's created by RedDog and it's looking amazing :)A big shout-out to RedDog !!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Yup! I'm mostly the only one moderating though, but please feel free to post scores! We have a Rules page you should look at first (link here) which should get you started. Basically we're not looking for elitists. Just people wanting to have a friendly competition. Make sure you configure your game (via dip switches or whatever) to match our pre-set rules and play with 1 credit. Take a screenshot of your score with your initials, and post it as a reply to the appropriate thread. If we deem it worthy (evidence of only 1 credit used, initials are correct, etc) then we'll add you to the board!

• Like 2

I joined in March of 2014 and I haven't looked back since.

Being able to give it your best honest go at a game and then pitting it against the world via screenshot of score/initials has no choice but be exciting. If you have a look at the Leaderboard, the lower scorers have "come and gone" quickly. That is another thing GameEx is about. It suits everyone anytime. Entertainment to the nines.

I've been getting my ars whipped at the Yolympics2016 tournament. 35th out of 71 currently. I'll be posting more after March 1st. The team I am on, True Champions, is currently in 1st by a margin of 81 points!!

M.O.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The newest official MAME build has re-enabled high scores, and did so using fancy plugins & LUA scripting.

I almost feel like someone with programming skills could use these scripts to either create a high score server to automatically keep our scores in, or to import the score tables from this competition into our own games in MAME.

• 3 weeks later...