All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Hi-Score Competition - A question for Draco1962

Hello Draco,

Maybe you - as administrator - could help me out. It may be a bald request but it would mean the world to me and I think everybody who loves to play in our GameEx Hi-Score competition.

As you already know I have - together with Hansolo - setup a Hi-Score Competition in the Social Club forum (a thank you also goes out to MNMax21 for getting us enthusiastic with his Mario Bros. thread ;) ).

With input of Hansolo I came up with "hi-score submitting rules" and both me and Han are and will be creating the hi-score game threads and keeping the Hi-Score Table of each game up to date. We and others are really excited about this competition and would like to take it one step further. Please let me explain...

Right now Galaga is the Hi-Score game of May 2013. On June 1st the thread "Hi-Score Competition - May 2013" will be changed back to Hi-Score Competition - Galaga so everyone can still submit their score for Galaga.

We're planning to create a leaderboard(thread) - great idea by Rtkiii - where points can be earned per game. Having a 1st position on Galaga will for example represent 100 points. Per player points will be accumulated for each game and thus a leaderboard will be created. Having a leaderboard is only fun when there are more games to choose from and not just one game per month.

I know you've said you don't like the Social Club to be swamped with Hi-Score threads. And I do understand this. But I kindly ask you to again consider a great alternative: creating a hi-score subforum.

Our love for playing Mame/Arcade-games was and is for a lot of us an important reason why we use such a great frontend as GameEx. So having our own friendly Mame hi-score competition subforum is rewarding those enthusiastic members and will possibly attract potential new members of GameEx.

DazzleHP and Hansolo and me have therefore talked about the possibility of creating a hi-score subforum and possibly having me and Hansolo as dedicated mods for that forum so we can edit each other's threads and keeping the hi-score tables of each game up to date. Having all the hi-score threads in one place will also prevent swamping the Social Club. Because we want to create a hi-score leaderboard(thread) there should be a possibiliy to compete for hi-scores at multiple games and a hi-score subforum is something we really need for this. This will result in a well constructed hi-score competition and prevent having the Social Club swamped with hi-score threads.

Again, it would mean the world to me and everybody who loves to play Mamegames and play in our GameEx Hi-Score competition if you could create such a subforum.

Kind regards and I hope to hear from you,

GimmeClassics

• Like 1

I understand and commend your enthusiasm as well as that presented by the others. However, I am not the only admin that will need to weigh the pros and cons of yours and Han's earlier request. We will review it and get back to you when all parties have had a chance to review and consider. Thanks!

I would like to point out that Draco is not the only admin on the forum. In addition to that, the admins and Tom like to discuss changes such as have been proposed before making a decision. Often times the opinions of the mods are considered as well. I just wanted to make it clear that there are discussions to be had before changes are made, and if your request is not honored, that Draco would not be solely responsible, and therefore could not be held responsible.

Edit: It would appear that Draco and I were posting at the same time.

Thank you both for your reaction. I didn't know exactly who all the admins en mods are, so I therefore asked my question at Draco.

I'm not holding anyone responsible if my request is not being honored. I appreciate it you are taking my and Han's request seriously :)

I hope I can convince most of you :) and we can really get our hi-score competition going with the possibilty of submitting hi-scores for multiple games and creating a leaderboard. A hi-score subforum would be ideal for this and would prevent having the Social Club swamped with hi-score threads.

Thanks again for taking our request seriously! :)

GimmeClassics

Speaking of all this, has anybody seen Adultery lately? I think he's an admin/mod too and would probably have an input of his own to share. Just noticing he hasn't been on in a while. Curious. Anyway, I agree with the things that have been said and am fully supportive of whatever route this goes. A sub forum would be nice, but isn't really necessary at the time being, since we only have like 4 threads currently being active at the moment. Perhaps as time goes and more people partake in the competitions, we'll have a larger need for a sub forum at that time. It's nice to know that the "project" is still active though and there are people enthusiastic about the competition. It's all about the community and the games and bringing everybody together, which I think is what is ultimately being accomplished here.

I believe Adultery is on hiatus at this time so I wouldn't expect any input soon. I agree, han and applaud your efforts to champion the cause and Gimme's coordination of the rules for the competition.

A sub forum would be nice, but isn't really necessary at the time being, since we only have like 4 threads currently being active at the moment. Perhaps as time goes and more people partake in the competitions, we'll have a larger need for a sub forum at that time.

Having only 4 hi-score game threads being active is mainly because we were told not to swamp the Social Club with hi-score threads. I understand this and therefore have not created new hi-score game threads since.

1) When you want to keep the hi-score competition interesting you should be able to submit hi-scores for multiple games and not just one per month. To keep the competition even more interesting we would like to create a hi-score leaderboard and a leaderboard based upon only one game per month isn't interesting.

2) The Hi-score competition thread of May will be changed back to Hi-Score Competition - Galaga on June 1st so everybody can still submit their hi-scores for Galaga. This alone will create 12 game-threads a year apart from the leaderboard-thread. So again, to prevent swamping the Social Club a hi-score subforum would be necessary I think.

@Draco > I'd like to hear what you think of the above and what you and the other admins have decided after reviewing my arguments on creating a hi-score subforum. I hope I can convice the majority of the admins :)

GC

While I understand what you are saying. I also think that there are some creative ways of managing the threads without swamping the Social Club. These should be thought out and discussed amongst the participants in the activities should the staff decide not to proceed with creating a dedicated forum. We will get back to you when we have had time to discuss and properly weigh the pros and cons as previously noted.

Wow, gone for 1 day and come back and see a shiny new forum! That's awesome. Thanks a lot to the moderators and admins for doing this. I really think it will help promote the competitions having them all centralized in their own place. It'll also help tremendously with keeping the apparent "spam" of many threads down to a minimum.

So I, too, thank everybody who was involved in the final decision making. :)