All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Galaga

The db can only take a top 10 by design, just so you're aware (The DB is only set up for ten rows per game) A top 10 is ideal, and I don't plan on doing a rewrite to support more than that. Just so ya know. :-)

You gotta draw that line somewhere, and no one below 10 gets any points for the overall leader board anyways. I really think a top 10 is the way to go.

Just to alert everybody.. the leaderboard for this game is now FULL as far as our Database program Adultery created it concerned, so I'm unable to add more users, instead I have to remove the lowest scores from the board. This raises a question of concern and thought I'd get the community's opinion on the matter... Just because the DB program is limited to 10, we can still update the OP leaderboard and have more than that. Should we keep the lowest scores on the board, or just remove them? For now, I'm going to leave them.

If I am top 10 or higher please remove the low scores...if I am below top 10 please leave them :) - j/k

Um....I say only keep top 10 for all games. The main leader board that compiles the overall points for all games should list everyone who has a score.

The db can only take a top 10 by design, just so you're aware (The DB is only set up for ten rows per game) A top 10 is ideal, and I don't plan on doing a rewrite to support more than that. Just so ya know. :-)

You gotta draw that line somewhere, and no one below 10 gets any points for the overall leader board anyways. I really think a top 10 is the way to go.

Well apparently we have a number of games now that are beyond 10 players, and it looks like GC was willing to keep the lower scores still on the OP board, at least for the games he updated. That's how I was playing it too. I mean, if we get like 50 or more people participating, then yeah; 10 scores or so. But we only have like 15 people at most (18 to be precise) playing anyway, so it's not that big a deal right now.

A rewrite of the DB hi-score program is absolutely not necessary...wouldn't dare to ask that ;). From the start of our GameEx hi-score competition me and Han agreed upon awarding Leaderboard points to the top 10 best hi-scores on each game. The DB program is already perfect for this and there is no reason to change anything.

As for the individual game hi-score boards I agree with Han. I'd still like to post each hi-score submission (for now). For new players who just love to participate and play our games but are not able to beat the top records I think publishing their score at our game hi-score boards is a nice incentive to motivate contestants to post their hi-score submission and generate more enthusiasm to join and keep playing in our competition.

There are now quite a few games with some really big scores. For those not THAT good at our games but who love to participate and play our games it could be hard to have their hi-score in the top 10. Right now it's doable for those players but when we are further in time its getting harder and harder.

I hope you understand why (for now) I want to keep publishing each hi-score submission ;)

Exactly, I don't want people to feel left out if they can't beat the #10's spot. They may not make it into our DB, and thus earning Leaderboard points, but it gets them "in the door" and participating. Maybe they're not so good on that game, but we got lots more to try and a bunch of them without all 10 spots filled up. So unless we get a LOT more people playing, posting scores in the OP tables isn't that big a deal.

• 4 weeks later...

I was happy to see that we insisted on setting the dip switches on Galaga to HARDEST. The easy setting isn`t all that challenging.

In fact, when I got to about the 12th board, I no longer tried to have a double ship, I just went solo. It is just too bloody hard when your target is that wide.

V0.122

Dip switch settings used ---------->>post-25790-0-12253200-1393738591_thumb.j

post-25790-0-63961200-1393738623_thumb.j

D`oh!! I just realized that I don`t have a screenshot with my initals on them. I hope this is okay.

I think we can let it slide this time as i can clearly see it's the same monitor as your other screenies ;) Nice score puts you in 3rd place!

*Updated OP,

EDIT - NOT updated DB, RSS.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's my entry, not #1 but a good start:

A very good score though !! I'm still trying to join the 100K+ club ;)

.....wait....you've kicked me out of the top 10 <_<:angry: ... damn it LOL :P

Updated OP, DB, RSS

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am so glad I had to change it to the HARDEST setting. I played a better game with it lol.

Score 153,070

Looks like we have a solid up and coming competitor! Great gaming from you thus far, Buzzin!! Get those submissions in and watch yourself rise on the Leaderboard.

• Like 2

I am so glad I had to change it to the HARDEST setting. I played a better game with it lol. Guess it is more "Arcade" Level and all the muscle memory kicked in.

Score 153,070

Initials BBS

Nice entry into this game. Keep it up!

Looks like we have a solid up and coming competitor! Great gaming from you thus far, Buzzin!! Get those submissions in and watch yourself rise on the Leaderboard.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Boards already updated by somebody else? :blink: :ph34r:

• Like 1

Boards already updated by somebody else? :blink: :ph34r:

"....it was all a test to see if my fellow mods would notice this...." Just kidding ! :P

My bad ;) I already updated the Galaga board yesterday. Tomorrow, before going to work, I used my phone to browse the forum and I accidentally deleted my last reply instead of liking MO's post. I didn't have time to post a reply to inform you guys.

I think I need to upgrade to a bigger screen phone !

Updated Leaderboard > working your way up the ladder ! Nice work Buzzin :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I think Galaga is the arcade game that I've played the most in my life. I've always loved this game. This is the game that got me into Mame originally.

It was everywhere there was an arcade and even at the small convenience stores like Stop & Go and 7/11.

I still see it around in various places which shows just how popular this game was and is but now I see it in a combo Ms Pacman/Galaga arcade cabinet. Whenever I see it, I play it.

The Dave and Busters I was at a couple weeks ago had one right inside the main front entrance. Buffalo Wild Wings near me always used to have this combo arcade too although I haven't been there lately to know if they've still got it.

Here's my submission.

I was really on a roll for awhile but then I blew it and lost all my lives in just a couple levels pretty quickly.

Playing on the hardest setting.

STC

Check out the pic, which has terrible lighting blurs, of the kids version of Galaga that was at Dave and Busters. It pays out tickets so the kids can redeem them for toys and things at the redemption counter. Whenever I play one of the redemption games, I give all my tickets to some little kid and they just look at me like I just gave them a million bucks and can't believe how lucky they are. Its pretty cool to see that.

post-8007-0-98017900-1428373535_thumb.jp

post-8007-0-49668600-1428373584_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I think Galaga is the arcade game that I've played the most in my life. I've always loved this game. This is the game that got me into Mame originally.

It was everywhere there was an arcade and even at the small convenience stores like Stop & Go and 7/11.

I still see it around in various places which shows just how popular this game was and is but now I see it in a combo Ms Pacman/Galaga arcade cabinet. Whenever I see it, I play it.

The Dave and Busters I was at a couple weeks ago had one right inside the main front entrance. Buffalo Wild Wings near me always used to have this combo arcade too although I haven't been there lately to know if they've still got it.

Here's my submission.

I was really on a roll for awhile but then I blew it and lost all my lives in just a couple levels pretty quickly.

Playing on the hardest setting.

STC

Check out the pic, which has terrible lighting blurs, of the kids version of Galaga that was at Dave and Busters. It pays out tickets so the kids can redeem them for toys and things at the redemption counter. Whenever I play one of the redemption games, I give all my tickets to some little kid and they just look at me like I just gave them a million bucks and can't believe how lucky they are. Its pretty cool to see that.

Nice score garetmax !!

Again, I love your contribution - the story and photos. Nice of you to give the tickets to the kids :)

Please keep sharing these kind of stories...I live in Europe (Netherlands) and unfortunately I don't have Arcade cabs in the neighborhood to play on, so I appreciate your background stories and photos of Arcade Halls you go to :)

Updated LB

• 2 years later...

Please don't take this the wrong way.  I'd love to accept your score.  We definitely need more players who can keep this forum alive.  However, you only just joined this site, created a username, and posted a HUGE score that is better than our current 1st place player.  You're not a paying subscriber to the software, just a basic member.  We've had this game in our competition for years (April 26, 2013).  Surely somebody would have posted a better score by now if they could.  Then I look at your score, and see it's the ONLY score in the in-game board, and I have to take a moment to pause and consider it.  We've had a couple of people come in and join just to post outrageous scores that can't be beat, and have no desire to support GameEx, or be a member of the community.  Just come in and post scores and leave.  I'd like to think this is all legit, and you're on the level, but I have to question it.

Until somebody can vouch for you, I have to delay accepting this score for the time being.  I have no problem accepting it in the future if anybody can verify you're legit and not just coming here to prove your prowess on the boards.  There's just no place for that here.  This is a high score forum for users of GameEx only.  People who are here just to have fun.  We're not a true competition.  You get no rewards.  It's for bettering yourself more than anything.

Thank you for understanding.  And for everybody else... can you vouch for forest4585?

@hansolo77: please look at Rtkiii's post at the leaderboard topic of July 22nd. I don't think we have a new Tif situation and should welcome Forest.

@forest4585: I hope you don't blame us for being cautious. With member Tif it was not a nice situation. You are more than welcome.

DOH!  My bad!  I completely forgot about that post.

On 7/22/2017 at 8:47 AM, rtkiii said:

glad you were finally able to signup.  Forest is really good at Galaga so please do not banish him when he posts that score.  But really that is the only one he is great at...he is normal like the rest of us :)

Consider yourself welcome.  I call that a certifiable vouch.  :)

Updated OP, DB, RSS

--> PS - Updating the OP took a bit longer than planned.  I had to remove TIF from the board, and I discovered celly's GOTM entry was lost, so I re-added it!  Sorry about that buddy!  @GimmeClassics - do you think you could post your Plus10's image on another site so we can update the threads?  I've been using imgbb.com for the banners, but maybe it'd be even better if we could host it on Adultery's server? 

• Like 1