All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

MO's score of 197,800:

On 3 maart 2016 at 3:51 AM, hansolo77 said:

No MO!  This score doesn't count!  Look at the very bottom of your 2nd screenshot.  :(  Looks like you probably had 25 credits stored.  That's not allowed per our rules.  

Tell ya what, GimmeClassics and DazzleHP can overrule me.  If they get on here and see it and vote in your favor, I'm all for letting it slide.  But until they do, let's just call this an unofficial entry.  

On 3 maart 2016 at 4:28 AM, Mame Offender said:

Rules are rules, but this rule makes absolutely no sense.  If there is 1 or if there is 99 credits in reserve, this shouldn't matter when it's a game like Donkey Kong that doesn't even have continues!  It should only apply to games that actually have continues.  I would hope the mods would agree with me wholeheartedly here.  With the lower levels of partipation lately, I think we should make an addendum to this rule.  

We haven't seen or heard from GC and DHP for quite some time, so I will be patient on the decision to accept my run today.  

On 3 maart 2016 at 4:54 AM, hansolo77 said:

I agree too, completely.  There are a few games in our collection that have continues (some of which will actually reset your score to 0 if you use them).  But to be honest, this rule was agreed upon by GC and me when we first created the subforum.  .....If it were completely up to me alone, I'd let it go.  But GC really was the leading factor in initiating this whole subforum, and I really feel like if we're to keep the competition fair going forward, we shouldn't start changing our rules now.

On 5 maart 2016 at 1:02 AM, hansolo77 said:

Like I said, I'm good with letting it slide.  I just noticed it, and knowing how we've been strict to our rules in the past, I wanted to give the leader of the (high score) mods a chance to weigh in his vote.  I don't play these games enough to know which games allow continuing scores on continues, so it's just a good rule of thumb to just block scores that have multiple credits showing because there's no clear way to know (unless you're familiar with the game and know that having multiple credits has no affect on possibly adding to your score after you die).  Since Cynicaster put it so delicately, I can with ease allow the score since it's known that the game won't let you continue your scores.  But since this IS a group effort, I'll still wait and let GC have his say before going forward.  I don't want to step on any toes.  :)

Sorry about the delay guys....
While I understand Han quoting our "Continues are not allowed" rule I have to agree with MO. We should make an addendum to this rule for those games who don't have continues.

Thank you Han for being thorough and playing a big part in our MOD team. I appreciate it ! Our rules needed an update however ;) (link)

I've updated the gameboard with MO's new 197K score ! Thank you for your patience guys !

Updated OP, DB, RSS

• Like 2

Thanks for settling the dispute.  Glad we got that all cleared out.  So going forward, we still prefer the 1 credit in the machine at a time, but we'll let it slide if the game is safe from storing your score in using continues.

• Like 2

I think MO should be banned for life! :) - j/k...i just got in real late to the conversation and thought should I put something helpful or pointless.  I went with pointless.

22 hours ago, rtkiii said:

I think MO should be banned for life! :) - j/k...i just got in real late to the conversation and thought should I put something helpful or pointless.  I went with pointless.

LIKE!

*did it this way because the LIKE button doesn't show WHO liked it...*

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Time to bump the DK thread with my new score of 180,300 points (level 6-6).

This one really went well.  I conquered a total of 16 barrel stages without losing a single life. No lives lost on elevator stages as well. I noticed, though, that rivet stages, as easy as they may seem at the beginning of the game are a real challenge later on. And let's not talk abount the conveyor stages - they are still a mystery to me. Sometimes you get that free pass to the top right while on other times all ways are blocked by the firefoxes. I have yet to figure out a strategy for those...

3rd spot, right behind the DK pros :)

0000.png

18 hours ago, smario said:

Time to bump the DK thread with my new score of 180,300 points (level 6-6).

This one really went well.  I conquered a total of 16 barrel stages without losing a single life. No lives lost on elevator stages as well. I noticed, though, that rivet stages, as easy as they may seem at the beginning of the game are a real challenge later on. And let's not talk abount the conveyor stages - they are still a mystery to me. Sometimes you get that free pass to the top right while on other times all ways are blocked by the firefoxes. I have yet to figure out a strategy for those...

3rd spot, right behind the DK pros :)

0000.png

Nice run!  And I agree with you... the rivets and cement factory stages can be brutal as the game progresses.  At least on the barrel stage you have some control over the barrels, and the elevator stage becomes the easiest of the 4 once you figure out how to manage the springs.  With the rivets and factory, the enemies start to get really fast and, aside from a few small ways of "influencing" them, there is no good way to control how they behave.  For the real pros of DK, it is their ability to consistently survive those screens that I find most impressive.     

All I can do is say WOW to you guys.  I totally suck at Donkey Kong.  I've never made it to the 2nd stage in the arcade version, and only made it to the 3rd stage once ever on my old Atari 800.  You guys are just too good for me!

Thanks for bumping the game though.  I'm not sure if it'll do any good, since I'm sure a lot people are using the custom map file I referenced -> HERE! <-  And if not, why not?  It's the easiest way to get the active list of games.  Just plug it in as it's own emulator and away you go!  Then you don't need to come to this forum to see what games are available.  Perhaps in the future (via Evolution) we'll even have the ability of seeing the current high scores for that game, thus one less reason to visit the forum to see who's score you have to beat.  But that's wishful thinking.  In the meanwhile, bump away!  It's always nice to see a score being posted on a game that's not been featured for a while.  :)

Updated OP, DB, RSS

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

'Tis the season to play classic video games.  Believe me, I've been doing plenty of that!

So without further ado, right here is MO's Personal Best on one of the best classic games in existence: Donkey Kong.

--------228,500--------

I was riding one man from the start of level 5 to the end of the game!  The only disservice here is the fact that I don't move up any spots on the Leaderboard.  But hey, I am really happy that I finally broke the 200k barrier!!

If video games were drugs, I would be a hopeless and severe Addict!!

MO

14818204936561494675776.jpg

• Like 1

Put a beating on my previous personal best:

I was on fire for a while, and actually had 2 lives left right up until the end when I died twice back-to-back on the elevator stage.  So frustrating, because once you figure out how it works, it pretty much needs to be a freebie on any good-scoring run so that you can save your lives for the other three screens, especially the cement factory and rivets that go crazy random. 

y3m1k41z4fdO_aQaHgi8lP0nfUgReyb6O4zvlbVp

I think the arcade version is just too difficult.  For sh!ts and g!ggles I tried playing it on Atari 800 and again on NES and I had no problem getting to at least the 2nd stage.  But then when I go and try it on the arcade version, all of a sudden I can't get past the first.  Maybe it's because controls on the console versions allow for 8-way directions, where as the arcade seems limited to 4-way?  Maybe the conversion didn't get the "randomness" of the barrels the same way..  For whatever reason, I just flat out SUCK at this game. 

Updated OP, DB, RSS

ps; I especially like how the screenshot you posted shows your previous high score submission here.  A good way to know it's legit.  :)

Han, I think you said you play MAME with an XBOX 360 controller or something similar... if that's the case, then you're really making it hard on yourself with DK.  Sometimes when I'm traveling I'll play MAME using a d-pad controller and frankly, I can't stand to play DK that way for more than a minute or two because I just can't control Mario with a d-pad.  Same goes for maze games.  Pac-Man is even worse than DK with a d-pad.. completely unplayable.  For me, anyway. 

• Like 1

Damn!  Just when I thought I was making Cynicaster nervous by getting within 30 k of his Personal Best, he drops a 300k+ game.  Very impressive.  You are now PAST Brian Kuh territory!!

• 3 months later...

My Saturday morning Mandatory Donkey Kong Session.

Well, it's been uneventful for my Saturday morning games of DK of late.  Until today.

Is it just me, or does this game make you feel like you are on top of the world when you are on a roll?  It gives you that feeling that few others can.  

There are sooooo many ways to die on DK.  So being able to survive for a duration of 8 levels is quite an experience for me.  

I now feel confident that I can actually take on Cynicaster s score.  This has been a pipe dream for the previous years, bit is now a reality.   

L = 09; 100m

P$.  I died on the Elevator Stage, which I find to be the easiest when you are in "The Zone".

MO

1492870760424-1701339751.jpg

1492870831059-1214725785.jpg

• Like 1

On 22.4.2017 at 4:21 PM, Mame Offender said:

Is it just me, or does this game make you feel like you are on top of the world when you are on a roll?  It gives you that feeling that few others can.  

Exactly. Sadly, that's also true vice versa. On bad days it feels like you're playing a video game for the first time. But I guess that's part of the reward!

Congrats on joining the 300k club MO. That's really impressive!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...