All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Back to windows after instant sheller...

lamerjack

I just reinstalled windows.

Before i was using an older version of instant sheller and windows xp32 sp2

now i use instant sheller 0.8 and xp32 sp3

When after using gameex i launch explorer.exe i get i can browse my computer but i dont get desktop start menu taskt bar etc.

How to fix?

Regards.

Hi lamerjack,

InstantSheller is intended for systems that will not likely be used as a desktop very often (if at all) and therefore the changes are permanent. You'll need to run it again to get your desktop back. This is what "shelling" (in basic terms) is - removing the UI so effectively GameEx becomes the OS :)

• 1 year later...

You basically have to navigate back through the open tasks through ctrl,alt,delete. I believe you have to go through that and then stop the shelling and restart. I have decided to go with other options than the sheller. You can just place the gameex.exe icon into the run on startup file in the start menu under programs. This will then start up windows and gameex will start up immediately after, which will allow you to then go back and use windows after exiting gameex. You could also use Adultery's Gammeex Launcher program. It's pretty slick. It will allow you to set a time delay on how quickly you want to launch gameex after start up.

Max is right, you'll need to manually load explorer so you can run Instant Sheller again. Follow these quick steps:

quit GameEx

Press CTRL+ALT+DEL (start Task Manager)

Press (left Alt, not Alt Gr) ALT+N

in the box that pops up type explorer.exe, press Enter

You should now be able to browse to Instant Sheller using your keyboard. Once run, it will revert Windows back to how it was.

thanks ,pushing enter on new task wouldnt work but i managed to get tiny mouse dot to file/new task/explorer to work .i had master slave issues on extra drives i put in ,but all is good ,now i can complete my upright cab

• Like 1

I have my mouse pointer disabled with my shell so it kinda becomes a game of "find the curser" whenever I need to use Windows.

Basically, ALT + TAB out of GameEx. Then hit CTRL + SHIT + ESC key. When Windows Task Manager comes up, use your ALT key to highlight File. Select "New Task (Run...)", in the new window enter "explorer" (no quotation marks). Now you have an explorer window open and can use keyboard keys to navigate to your sheller to turn it off, and reboot into Windows normally. Then when you are ready for the shell again, go to the sheller and apply it all again.

Kind of a pain but I'm getting to a point where I don't need to fiddle with Windows so much on my install. Take care!

• Like 1

thanks ,pushing enter on new task wouldnt work but i managed to get tiny mouse dot to file/new task/explorer to work .i had master slave issues on extra drives i put in ,but all is good ,now i can complete my upright cab

You're right - it's been so long since i needed to "New Task" from Task Manager i totally forgot you should use the keyboard shortcut ^_^ I'll add that to my previous post for anyone else who happens upon this thread. Thanks for posting back! :)

Done.

@greenpuddin - although it's not necessary to include the extension in this case, it is good practice to get people using the full command - i feel a lot of situations could be avoided if we could dissuade people from taking the quick route ;)

• Like 1

@greenpuddin - although it's not necessary to include the extension in this case, it is good practice to get people using the full command - i feel a lot of situations could be avoided if we could dissuade people from taking the quick route ;)

Just my nature, like it done quick and dirty, wham bam thank you ma'am etc

When you put it like that i find it hard to come up with a counter argument, except this one - if you keep taking the quick way, sooner or later you're gonna have lots of little problems running around the place causing all manner of hell. And no one will be able to help you coz you didn't take the time and ensure you only had one, or two, easily identifiable problems :) It'll be your fault i tells ya! :P

Oh, my! If your short cut to "Wham, bam, thank you ma'am" omits the trip to the drug store for a box of condoms, then you end up with "little problems running around the place" of a different nature!

• Like 1

Oh, my! If your short cut to "Wham, bam, thank you ma'am" omits the trip to the drug store for a box of condoms, then you end up with "little problems running around the place" of a different nature!

That's what i said ^_^ Maybe i was too subtle... *recalibrating*

• 2 months later...

Hello :-) ...just thought I would add something to this topic lol.

I found this to be the quickest way to "undo" instant sheller, if the need ever arises that you would need to return to the desktop for any reason whatsoever...

In Setup Wizard, add Instant Sheller to the list under "External Programs", and set all paths accordingly. After you shell GameEx, if you ever need to return to the desktop, just have GameEx launch Instant Sheller this way. All you would have to do then is just press " Enter", and wait for GameEx to gain focus again. Then go to Exit -> Log Off ... or Exit -> Restart, in order to get back to your desktop.

Saves a lot of time, especially on a cab build.

Hope this helps! :-)

LC

• Like 2

Its because you are using a 64 bit OS and GameEx is a 32 bit application. When you try to run explorer after GameEx it runs the 32 bit version instead of the 64 bit version as you are in 32 bit mode because the shell is 32 bit. You need to trick windows into launching the 64 bit version of explorer. You need to make a copy of the 64 bit version of explorer from the windows folder (with the shell in default state otherwise you will only get the 32 bit), put that file somewhere and when restoring the shell with explorer use that copy of the file.

Note: This is very useful info!

• Like 1