All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Help: No virtua controller or touchscreen controls Win 8 tablet

WayneNewton

Hi all,

I just got an HP Envy x2 Netbook/tablet hybrid with full version of Windows 8 Version 6.2 Build 9200. The log file is attached. I was unable to find an .ini file. I am running the version of MAME downloaded with the latest version of GameEx.

I downloaded your software and all of the emulators that I think I would like to use and they play perfectly fine with the actual keyboard, but I am unable to get a virtual controller to pop up on the touchscreen or control a game at all with the touchscreen. I configured to allow touchscreen and mouse and tried different pairings of mouse on/off, controller on/off to no avail. Am I using the wrong version of MAME? Is there no touchscreen support for MAME? I tried the original NBA JAM, Ms.PAC Man, MK2.

I really like the software and would be more than willing to make the donation if I could get the virtual controls on to work on the touchscreen. Please advise.

Cheers!

log.txt

Hi WayneNewton and welcome to the GameEx forums (or should I say Danke Schoen for stopping by? ;))

Any hoo, there's an important distinction to be made here. Namely GameEx doesn't include any sort of virtual controller components. Enabling touch screen support should enable you to use your touch screen within the GameEx frontend, but you may need to track down some third party virtual controller software to enable the type of functionality you're looking for. Some emulators may also include direct support of touchscreen controls, but naturally this will vary from one emulator to the next.

Danke Schoen and good luck in your endeavors WayneNewton!

Thanks for the quick reply! I have read that an older version of MAME takes touchscreen input. Can I just drop that version of MAME in the GameEx folder, or is setup a little harder than that? I will track down that version and look for a virtual controller, too. I will post the results if I make any headway.

Virtual gamepads are proving difficult to find for windows 8. Anybody have a clue which emulators, if any, run with built-in touch screen support?

I already have APPS for SNES and ATARI with built-in support, but I would love a windows 8 solution for PS1, PS2, Gamecube, N64, MAME, etc.

Cheers!

I know that you are wanting to use a virtual game pad, unfortunately, I think you will find that dev for that kind of thing is going to still be hard to find for Win 8 for the time being. Have you considered a wireless Xbox 360 gamepad for PC or lone by Logitech? Coupled with Xpadder (and Adultery's Xpadder plugin), it will be the quickest way for you to get it up and running well until such software is more readily available.