All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

gameex demo mode and u360 plugin

laggerific

I recently received a set of U360 controllers, which I am using in my Mame/etc cabinet through GameEx. I'm still working on wrapping my head around the various nuances presented by this device, and in reading around how to tune the mappings for various games/emulators someone brought up the potential limitations on number of flashes possible on the PCB, due to cell life limits. I love leaving my cabinet running in demo mode in the background, but it left me concerned...if it reprograms the stick everytime a demo program comes up, it could limit the lifespan of the controllers programming ability. Perhaps I'm being paranoid, and perhaps it has the ability to reprogram millions of times before failure...but I am curious, will it reprogram for a specific rom even when loading it through demo mode.

Since when?

Last I checked the Game_Exit function fires but the Game_Run event only fires if the game isn't a MAME game (if it even fires then).

If it does fire now it only started recently. Guess I should check again?

I've been watching this event for a while though... would be a great gift. :)

Thanks for checking. Now I need to find out if that is a practical concern from Andy on the u360 side of things.

That said, Looking further at the ultrastik plugin INI, I'm trying to track down how it maps from MAME's mappings to the Ultrastik. I see under the [MameMaps] section something like

joy8way=joy8way

I'm guessing that means when mamedat shows that the game is joy8way to use MAME's joy8way mapping? So effectively, it is using MAME's mappings to do that, which may mean that it isn't actually writing to the u360 when loading.

But, let's say I want to tweak the mapping here to a specific type of joy8way mapping, say, something with a larger deadzone. I see 2 ways, either specify this to say "joy8way=u3608WayExpandedDeadzone.um", or go into the mame config itself and expand the dead zone for the joy8way mapping.

Am I understanding how the plugin configuration works correctly, or am I missing something?

Since when? Last I checked the Game_Exit function fires but the Game_Run event only fires if the game isn't a MAME game (if it even fires then). If it does fire now it only started recently. Guess I should check again? I've been watching this event for a while though... would be a great gift. :)

It looks good in the code to me.

Is this recent?

It only hits on the first game you run I swear! It doesn't change/fire when the game changes. I can post a Function Logger log if you like. ;)

Unless if course you changed something?