All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Managing MAME controller cfg's...what is recommended to use with GameEx?

laggerific

I was researching how to maintain controller configurations when I upgrade versions, as it seems that I always need to redo my 4-player controls for my 4-player cab (I prefer to setup 2 player games to use the middle 2 controllers, so player one in position 2...while for 4-player I prefer to setup consistent with the arcade). This is a pain, for certain. I discovered a reference to something called CFG Magician in a link to these forums, but it was a few years old.

Is that still a relevant tool, or is there something the community here would recommend? Also, it seems that all the 2/4 player games get reset to 2-player games on their dipswitches, as well. So, it seems that with an upgrade, which I typically do by extracting over an existing folder, it starts ignoring the cfgs and nvram files that were already there.

Thank you.

I was researching how to maintain controller configurations when I upgrade versions, as it seems that I always need to redo my 4-player controls for my 4-player cab (I prefer to setup 2 player games to use the middle 2 controllers, so player one in position 2...while for 4-player I prefer to setup consistent with the arcade). This is a pain, for certain. I discovered a reference to something called CFG Magician in a link to these forums, but it was a few years old.

Is that still a relevant tool, or is there something the community here would recommend? Also, it seems that all the 2/4 player games get reset to 2-player games on their dipswitches, as well. So, it seems that with an upgrade, which I typically do by extracting over an existing folder, it starts ignoring the cfgs and nvram files that were already there.

Thank you.

I would definitely give CFG Magician my hearty recommendation ... but it will depend on what version of MAME you're using. CFG Magician requires that you use data files which match your version of MAME. It looks like the most recent set of CFG Magician data files apply to MAME 0.142. If your MAME version is somewhere between 0.133 and 0.42 I'd definitely recommend using CFG Magician for managing your cfgs.