All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Control Panel or Instructions guide?

laggerific

Is there a guide for setting up control panel or Instructions screens for use in GameEx? Similar to how mame shows controls for the games, I'd like to do something like that with my other emulators. I see high level information in the instructions on this topic, but nothing more in-depth. Is it as straightforward as creating images with the games name and putting them in the "Controls Path" or "Instructions Path"? Can it default to a generic one for the emulator, if a specific one isn't there?

Thank you.

Is it as straightforward as creating images with the games name and putting them in the "Controls Path" or "Instructions Path"? Can it default to a generic one for the emulator, if a specific one isn't there?

Thank you.

You hit the nail on the head my friend (on both counts - Controls and Instructions). There is one catch though. You can have multiple images matching your ROM names or you can specify a single image for the entire emulator, but you can't have it both ways. In other words you can't currently specify a default fall back image.

That's cool...I think I'll have the general emulator controls under controls and then game specific under instructions. This is a fun project, as I have so many control schemes depending on the game, I get confused, let alone people who haven't spent hours configuring the setup.

• 6 months later...

Shame you can't have the fall back default... would save a lot of work!!! So folder having filename default.png and then specific images for select games would be fab

e.g. PS2 emulation: default joy and buttons for majority. Then unique control images for lightgun games and driving games. :)

Damn, wish I could code!

It takes the same amount of effort for emulators as it does for Mame. If you are going to create individual panels for games that are setup different from the default, it will take a few minutes per game.