All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

GameEx Race (Suggestion)

thurmansevolution

Hello and Good Morning/Afternoon! :)

I'm not 100% sure if this belongs in the "Future Enhancements And Requests" topic, and I apologize in advance if it does. I'm not sure where this would fall under lol, but I'm gonna "spell it out" anyway :).

I've got enough projects going on to last me throughout this and probably next year. I'm almost finished with my cab (will be finalizing by adding the trackball, lightguns, and retro controler usb inputs/support eg. https://www.google.com/shopping/product/6766076433581566767?q=nintendo%20usb%20controller&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=kom&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.1357700187,d.aWM&biw=1280&bih=617&sa=X&ei=ohz0UJTpN8GZqAGat4GwAg&ved=0CFIQ8wIwAA , later next month).

During the beginning of March, I am planning to start building a racing cabinet, for all the racing arcade games such as pole position, crusin usa, etc. (I decided to push the visual pinball back a little) In theory, this should work out considering what all I read up on about adding a steering wheel and pedals to a standalone mame cab. Everything is still in the works, but so far, I'm planning on adding surround sound, radio buttons (for crusin usa etc), to name a few. All in all, this is what I want it to do: When you first sit down in the cabinet, you would scroll through a horizontal list of games using the steering wheel and press the "start game" button which GameEx would launch the game, as it would in a regular cab.

Now for the question (lol sorry for the rambling) - Would GameEx be able to handle this, as for using the steering wheel to navigate smoothly; or would there be a need for a separate version of GameEx as a "Racing" front end? (As Hyperpin is related to Hyperspin).

If GameEx now would be able to handle this, how would I set it up? Or if another separate version of GameEx were to be developed for this need, I would gladly purchase a separate licence for it. :)

Thanks in advance!

LC

I think it'll all depend on what type of steering wheel you use. Some work as a mouse and some as a gamepad.

I vaguely remember Tempest and bkenobi working on a script for mouse style wheels and GameEx can already accept input from joysticks so you should be able to use either, though a gamepad style would be easiest to setup.

I have a Logitech G25 wheel, got it for about £180 a few years ago, it's fantastic but the G27 can now be had for that kinda money, you may be able to find an old G25 cheap somewhere. I just wish I had the room to keep it permanently attached to my desk. Someday I'm going to use a frame like this to build a racing arcade.

Thanks for the input! :)

During the past couple of days, I think I figured out what I would most likely do to scroll through games - in GameEx, I will change the view to where it'll show the games horizontally and use two lit pushbuttons to scroll left or right. Just as a brain fart for now lol, could the "gas pedal" be used to select a game and launch it?

And for the steering wheel, could the Logitech G25 be used to run both the older and newer racing games? I heard there was a little issue with Mame and having to use the 360 or 270 degree wheels on different games. (I was first thinking of getting the 270 degree wheel from ultimarc until I heard of the issue with mame)

And for the steering wheel, could the Logitech G25 be used to run both the older and newer racing games? I heard there was a little issue with Mame and having to use the 360 or 270 degree wheels on different games. (I was first thinking of getting the 270 degree wheel from ultimarc until I heard of the issue with mame)

maybe i am wrong but there is no wheel, to play ALL racing games....its not only the 270-360 degree stuff (there are hacked stuff in the world wide web, just google hacked wheels and MAME), there are two mechanical different kind of wheels.... spinners and the other one i forgot ;), but you can play the most stuff with the Logitech for example and this is just MAME related (or Arcade so to say).

there is no cab, which can play all arcade-stuff, even with the "tank"-styled ones :D .... too much different games in 30 years of arcade :D

there should be no issue using the accelerator pedal to select and even brake to go back a menu, the g25 also has a couple of extra buttons on the wheel and flappy panel gears behind the wheel so any number of options for navigation, I would imagine that as the wheel is a controller you would just be able to turn it left or right to select, though my wheel is currently packed away so can't test.

as u-man said, you'll never build the perfect setup, best to concentrate on playing your favorite games as best as possible.

For me thats the more modern arcade racers Sega Rally, Daytona etc and the g25 is perfect for that.

Mainly though I play stand alone PC racing games with it like Sega Rally Revo, Dirt, Shift and F1, for these it is fantastic as you then have force feedback too

there are spinner based MAME racegames and optical based MAME racegames. the spinner based ones, are playable with a Logitech-wheel.

here is a list of optical-based ones, which you normally cannot play with a PC-Wheel:

1000 Miglia: Great 1000 Miles Rally (94/07/1cool.gif
American Speedway (set 1)
APB - All Points Bulletin (rev 7)
Bad Lands
Buggy Boy/Speed Buggy (cockpit)
Buggy Challenge
Championship Sprint (rev 3)
Change Lanes
Danny Sullivan's Indy Heat
Demolition Derby
Drag Race
Drift Out (Japan)
Final Lap 2
Fire Truck / Smokey Joe
Grand Champion
Grudge Match (prototype)
Hot Rod (World, 3 Players, Turbo set 1, Floppy Based)
Imola Grand Prix
Ironman Ivan Stewart's Super Off-Road
Ironman Ivan Stewart's Super Off-Road Track-Pak
Konami GT
Mille Miglia 2: Great 1000 Miles Rally (95/05/24)
Monte Carlo
Night Driver
Pole Position
Pole Position II
Redline Racer (2 players)
Rough Racer (Japan, Floppy Based, FD1094 317-0058-06b)
Speed Freak
Sprint 1
Sprint 4 (set 1)
Sprint 8
Stocker (3/19/85)
Super Bug
Super Speed Race
Super Speed Race Junior (Japan)
Super Sprint (rev 4)
Turbo
TX-1
Wheels Runner
World Rally (set 1)

for these games, you would need a wheel-hack or a app which maps the controls to a PC-wheel accordingly.

decide for yourself ;)

• Like 1