All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Theme Editor Questions...

headkaze

This may just be a "buggy" thing, but we've noticed that the menu placement stays the same as it is in MAME....in other words, no way to position them for specific emulators apparently. Or are we doing something wrong?

I hate to ask all these questions - but I am just nutty for GameEx and am thrilled about the prospects of being able to FINALLY be able to get it set up so that I can not only have a menu screen but our own backgrounds. I've tried them all and this is the only one that makes any sense to me!

Thanks again ahead of time!

This may just be a "buggy" thing, but we've noticed that the menu placement stays the same as it is in MAME....in other words, no way to position them for specific emulators apparently. Or are we doing something wrong?

No not at this moment.

Okay, I think I've squashed the save bug, but I'm not totally sure. Attached is the exe file you can just overwrite your existing one. Please report back here if there are any more saving problems.

GameEx Theme Editor v1.54 BETA

- fixed save bug (hopefully)

I found another save bug today, this time it was quite suprising, I had no idea GDI+ locked image files when you opened them and wouldn't close the file until you did a <object>.Dispose(). It's ridiculous what you have to do to get around this problem.

GameEx Theme Editor v1.61

- Fixed another save bug (GDI+ file lock)

- Changed a few visual features

ThemeEditor.zip

I found another save bug today, this time it was quite suprising, I had no idea GDI+ locked image files when you opened them and wouldn't close the file until you did a <object>.Dispose(). It's ridiculous what you have to do to get around this problem.

GameEx Theme Editor v1.61

- Fixed another save bug (GDI+ file lock)

- Changed a few visual features

Thx for the update.

Any way to make the text wrap when you change the size of the list? I noticed it runs off the screen when reduced from its default state.

Could you possibly post a screenshot of this? I need to know if this is a Theme Editor or GameEx issue.

Headkaze,

What exactly does the video option do on the toolbar? Where you can have some sort of video for the different menus? I see how you can change the audio for some aspects of GE. Can you explain the video portion? Thanks.

What is the selector bar editor?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello all.

New to the theme editor and all... But I have a quick question.

I edited a toolbar I would like to use in amos's Future Retro theme (that I lifted from WinAmp). I got the lineup just the way I want it, but the layout for the buttons is not the way I would like them. Let me explain.

This is the layout - the GameEx about button is on the left. The buttons go:

Rewind

Play

Pause

Stop

Fast Forward

Then I'd like to use a dot matrix type of font (it ultimately would scroll but I don't think GameEx can do that yet - maybe getting ahead of myself) and the minimize, maximize and close buttons are on the right.

Any way I can assign a specific command to each button myself?

I'd also like to add a 'green' light to each button as it is activated.

Any of this possible?

As far as I know the controls for the audio on the ToolBar only has two visual states. Play and Stop.

For the rest I think as long as you line up the buttons they should all work fine. It would get a bit complicated if we made it so each button was separate, and each button had two states.

ToolBar looks good btw. I'm not sure if your requesting features for the Theme Editor, but I can only add things that Tom adds support for in GameEx first, so perhaps you need to put a post in the request forum.

Visual states are a small worry at this point. I'm in a little over my head so I hope not to drive you nuts. :)

So how do I change the assignment order? The selection I get gives me the buttons but in the wrong order - can these be changed somehow?

Also - Is it a bug on my end that the game database displays like this:

A game

in which

you fly a

plane and

shoot at

things.

It doesn't seem to be filling the entire form field which I have layed out in this picture:

Any and all help is appreciated. :)

Well things like that really don't fall into the area of Theme Editor issues. I can only really help solve and debug the actual functionality of the Theme Editor. The way GameEx handles the themes on the other hand is a different story and where Tom comes in. The source to GameEx is closed to Tom, so when it comes to displaying a layout created in the Theme Editor it really falls upon the realm of Tom. If the text in an object dosn't seem to be stretching across the full size of the boxed area, that could well be a layout display bug in GameEx. We might need Tom's opinion on the matter for this one.

Hi, n00b here :) Been using GameEx for about six months, but I've only just started messing around with the theme editor.

I've done a little searching around the forums and can't find the answer to two questions I have. Apologies in advance if I'm being stupid :)

1: Is it possible to disable the 'Media Control' and 'Window' options within a theme, or is this configurable within GameEx itself? If it's the latter, I'll go hunting among the options (only just installed the latest version - I was using 5.x until recently and haven't fired up the latest version yet!), but I thought I'd ask vis a vi the former form the gurus here on the board.

2: The logos for the emulators - do you specify these within a theme, or is there a spot in GameEx's configuration files that determines the image that shows up for each specified emulator? I want to put my own logos in for the various emulators, but I'm not sure if this is configured via the theme editor or via GameEx (or edited from within GameEx's .ini file).

Any help would be appreciated :) If I should post either of these as general topics, let me know.

Thanks all!!

+Mangeledmon+

Hi Mangledmon & welcome to GameEx :)

You can specify most things in the theme.ini, it acts like an overide for peoples configurations. You'll find all the options in this file: C:\Program Files\GameEx\CONFIG\GameEx.ini

To disable the media controls & the window add these lines to your theme.ini (before the [TaskBar] section)

EnableMediaControls=False

AllowWindowResize=False

If the window command doesnt work then add these lines to the theme.ini before the [taskbar]

[internal]

Windowed=False

The logos can be selected either in the config app under emulator options - logo. Or you can do it in the theme.ini by adding this stuff at the end:

[Emulator_1]

StartPageLogo=your icon name without the .png extension

[Emulator_2]

StartPageLogo=genesis

That just about covers it :)

Thanks Amos! I think you know the Theme Editor better than I do, since I've never even used it to make a theme; I made my cab's theme before I wrote the editor!

Some options are available under the Edit->Options... Okay just checked and there is no EnableMediaControls setting in there! Okay, probably need to do another update with more of the options in there - I would really like to remove the need to edit ini files.

• 2 weeks later...
can we have diff layouts for multiple emus yet? bin thinking about making a theme and would like to import a load of mamewah layouts for my emus cheers baz

I think Tom will probably add this soon (with so many feature requests it must be hard to decide what to add next!). It would be nice to get the MameWah importing going. We'll have to wait and see I guess :)