All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Theme Editor Questions...

headkaze

I want to begin working with foreground images in GameEx. Is it possible to do so with the start or oher canned pages? The tutorials do not offer anything on this and I do not see where many of the themes are using them. Any help is appreciated.

• 1 month later...

For anyone that may want to create foreground images to correspond to background images for emus, etc., make sure the filename is the same as the background image with _foreground added to the file name (i.e., startback.png is the start page background file, while startbak_foreground is the foreground file). This allows for making a uniform background file with images in the foreground - great for creating frame images that are in the foreground and masking the borders of the images and video snaps.

• 4 weeks later...

This is going to sound confusing, but I am unable to edit Gameex to look how I am wanting with either the theme editor or the config files:

Instead of white text for items (Emulated Games; Multimedia; Exit & Shutdown; etc...) I would like it to display custom icons instead. Currently I am using the Carbon and Steel theme and I think it could visually benefit from having an option like this, as well as some of the other themes that try to coordinate items. Then instead of seeing the white text and an icon beside it, it could show an item that is in the currently selected icon.

Second, "Change View" is limited and doesn't display things how I want. I know I can use the theme editor to move the image boxes around, but I'd like to pick which boxes that I see. Instead of having snap pics to display for the games list (which is better than white text) allow it to display the box shots instead. I know I can just change the directory in the settings, but then I'd be looking at snaps when I select the box shot, and box shot when I select the snaps to view.

Third,taking off the line of options that "Change View" shows up in. I like Gameex but I am really working with trying to get this running for my son who has autism and doesn't listen. I'd like to be able to take this part off as well so he is unable to change the view. I have found out how to take everything else off that I do not want him messing with, just not this.

In short, how to advance customize the layout and items that appear on the screen?

Recoil - I will respond to each section as best that I can and encourage corrections or addendums from the forum members.

Instead of white text for items (Emulated Games; Multimedia; Exit & Shutdown; etc...) I would like it to display custom icons instead. Currently I am using the Carbon and Steel theme and I think it could visually benefit from having an option like this, as well as some of the other themes that try to coordinate items. Then instead of seeing the white text and an icon beside it, it could show an item that is in the currently selected icon.

Within Theme Editor, you can change the font color, in addition to the font you most prefer. GameEx does support tool bars in Version 3 themes and earlier for Home, Exit, Media Bar, etc. but does not support using a graphic or icon to replace the items you mention - personally, I would like to see the menu bar option return and custom icons to replace or augment the text lists. <-- Enhancement Request

Second, "Change View" is limited and doesn't display things how I want. I know I can use the theme editor to move the image boxes around, but I'd like to pick which boxes that I see. Instead of having snap pics to display for the games list (which is better than white text) allow it to display the box shots instead. I know I can just change the directory in the settings, but then I'd be looking at snaps when I select the box shot, and box shot when I select the snaps to view.

I am not sure that I am following you on the last part, but if you only want the box art to show, you can change the path to point to the box art, cartridge art, etc. to the exclusion of the snaps/videos. You can also chose to have only one image box (would require modifying the theme foreground and/or background images to fit your requirements). I have seen this in some themes where only a list or snaps view shows for the list box and a single image space to accomodate snaps/videos or whatever the author has decided should be displayed. You may want to take a look at the Donkey Kong theme Headkaze created for an example of this.

Third,taking off the line of options that "Change View" shows up in. I like Gameex but I am really working with trying to get this running for my son who has autism and doesn't listen. I'd like to be able to take this part off as well so he is unable to change the view. I have found out how to take everything else off that I do not want him messing with, just not this.

Unfortunately, Change View is not removable. I think this would also be a worthwhile option in the Configuration as this will prevent the children or one's overly-curious friends from accidentally hitting the wrong option and buggering up the current display. <--Enhancement Request

Even if it just for registered users, which I am going to be one soon, but I think the interface should be more configurable. Most of the stuff mentioned cannot be changed normally and I think people would benefit from having something a bit more customizable...this isn't really a complaint about the software because it has been the easiest thing I have come across to use and configure, I just like having a lot of control over what is seen by the user, which is my son in this case :)

• 3 months later...

I just posted this in the "general" forum, but maybe it is better here....

"I'm trying to create a new theme, but have run into a minor snag with the "Most Played" and "Last Played" pages.

Basically my theme has a TV screen in the bottom left corner for displaying emulator previews in the "Image2" position. This works really well until I go to the "Most Played" or "Last Played" screens, which displays the selected game in the "Image1" position, meaning the video is in the wrong place and the box art is inside of the TV image instead!

What I need to be able to do is to specify a custom layout for the "Most Played" and "Last Played" screens? This way I can place "Image1" inside the TV image.

It would also be great if I could specify a custom background image for these screens. Unfortunately, I can't see a way to do either of these things in the theme editor.

Is what I want possible inside the theme editor?

If not, then consider this a feature request."

• 10 months later...

Few questions on the theme editor.

1. What dictates what is image 1 and what is image 2?

2. Is it possible to add additional images? If so, how? Otherwise, I don't understand the purpose of the 3d cabs, etc., in the config.

3. Can I have unique layouts for different emulators (i.e., backgrounds, logos, etc.)? Right now, in the editor, I'm only seeing the option to have a single 'emulator' layout.

4. The settings for the 'select' bar - is the intent you can have multiple graphics (select 1-15) and it will animate them? What is the Select 1 and select 2 in the layouts then? And how do you do the position for those items in the theme? (i.e., just at the bottom of a box, do they get autopositioned, etc.? If autopositioned, what are the parameters of the positioning?)

5. The description box that 'pops up' when going down a list - is that disabled/turned off via the theme or is that a config setting? Didn't see it in config and unless done right it can be very annoying.

Thanks for the insight! I'm within inches of purchasing a full license after just getting fed the hell up with MA...and I like some of the features on here. Just need to make sure I can get it - aesthetically - where I need it for my cab.

- Necro

1: 1 and 2 are the primary and the secondary images. In my cab, the 1st image is the video and the 2nd image is the title screen.

2: You can add other images using GameExtender on a second monitor, but the themes are limited to 2 at a time. For MAME, 1 shows the video and 2 shows the cab's 3D model.

3: Yes, there is a way to enable custom emulator layouts in the Theme Editor. I don't personally use it so I don't know how it works, sorry. :)

4: Again, it's not a feature I'm all that familiar with, but Drac may know this.

5: This is theme specific also. You can set where you want the popup to display using Theme Editor.

3D Cabs allows for the displaying of the .x format animated, rotating cabinet files available for download on the main GameEx site.

Image1 = Logo or ROM Images or Video Snaps

Image2 = 3D Cabinet or small video snap or Marquee or...

Select1 = Menu Option Name or ROM Name or Program Name

Select2 = Details as available for Select1

Select Bar is animated by changing colors over the span of the 15 images or all the same if not.

You will have to play with the Theme Editor to position the image and various text elements within your theme based upon X & Y coordinates and Height/Width settings. You have the ability to create custom backgrounds/foregrounds and layouts on a per emulator basis. Logo files (the ones previously mentioned in Image1) are display globally.

Pop-up Descriptions can be turned off within a theme and in the Setup Wizard under "Display Settings."

^^ Keep in mind that if the theme.ini specifically tells the theme to do something, it overrides the global setting. For example, if I set a line in my theme's ini to use Veranda, or to only display it at a certain resolution, our to disable popup descriptions, you need to edit the actual ini for that theme to change any of these settings. Changing theses values in the Setup Wizard won't do anything.

Hope that helps. ;)

^^ Keep in mind that if the theme.ini specifically tells the theme to do something, it overrides the global setting. For example, if I set a line in my theme's ini to use Veranda, or to only display it at a certain resolution, our to disable popup descriptions, you need to edit the actual ini for that theme to change any of these settings. Changing theses values in the Setup Wizard won't do anything.

Hope that helps. ;)

Kind of - on my points:

1. Ok, so how do you set what the image is used? Am I missing a setting in the normal configuration utility or in the editor somewhere to set this?

2. So, 2 images and the background - anyway to have an 'overlay' image? (Is this the foreground item?)

3. Ok...major reason I ask is to alter what images are shown for each emu (basically ties into 1).

4. So...I can't have a actual graphic - like say an animated pac-man - be the indicator of what's selected? It will just get stretched into a bar? (i.e., it's not the middle 10, 15, 20 pixels of those images that get stretched...?)

5. Gotcha.

Also, am I correct in thinking the theme editor doesn't contain all the possible theme.ini settings? (Or am I just missing something I should be able to do in the editor)

And thanks for the quick replies!

That's it! We want ALL the toys! B)

Kind of - on my points:

1. Ok, so how do you set what the image is used? Am I missing a setting in the normal configuration utility or in the editor somewhere to set this?

The images displayed are relative to the location with the menus, . If you are on the Start menu, images displayed in Image1 of a theme usually consist of Logo files assigned to emulators, MAME, Multimedia, and the like. Image2 may show a game marquee, a 3D Cab, or a video snap of a game from an emulator, or nothing at all. Within an emulator, Image1 generally displays a still or video snap (vids if you have them, if not found, then defaults to still snaps). Image2 may show a game marquee, a 3D Cab, etc.

2. So, 2 images and the background - anyway to have an 'overlay' image? (Is this the foreground item?)

The foreground image is the overlay image.

3. Ok...major reason I ask is to alter what images are shown for each emu (basically ties into 1).

Just because there is a path in the Setup Wizard for an emulator, it doesn't mean you have to have still or video snaps. You can put family vacation photos to represent the ROMS in your collection and they will display for that specific ROM so long as they are named the same as the ROM.

4. So...I can't have a actual graphic - like say an animated pac-man - be the indicator of what's selected? It will just get stretched into a bar? (i.e., it's not the middle 10, 15, 20 pixels of those images that get stretched...?)

Not sure where you are going here or maybe I have confuzzled things a little with my earlier response (damned brevity!). The only thing that will likely get stretched are images representing the selector bars, be it a bar or your Pac-Man example. I have actually put in an Enhancement Request to address this issue as I think it would open up some additional creative elements to make the themes pop.

Also, am I correct in thinking the theme editor doesn't contain all the possible theme.ini settings? (Or am I just missing something I should be able to do in the editor)

The theme editor produces the theme.ini file and saves all settings within. If a feature is enabled via Setup Wizard, but is not in the theme.ini file (Weather Icon or Pop-up descriptions, for example) then the theme.ini will override the setting within gameex.ini.

I hope that helps some!

No one knows or is everyone being secretive because of the contest?

So... What's my excuse then? Lol!

I'll spare you the trouble. I'm lazy! :D

That's it! We want ALL the toys! B)

The images displayed are relative to the location with the menus, . If you are on the Start menu, images displayed in Image1 of a theme usually consist of Logo files assigned to emulators, MAME, Multimedia, and the like. Image2 may show a game marquee, a 3D Cab, or a video snap of a game from an emulator, or nothing at all. Within an emulator, Image1 generally displays a still or video snap (vids if you have them, if not found, then defaults to still snaps). Image2 may show a game marquee, a 3D Cab, etc.

I hope that helps some!

Ok, everything except for the above helps and gets me where I need to be somewhat.

I'm not clear on what's deciding when certain images are used if all possible images for that emulator/rom exist. Basically, what's the prioritization? So, if I'm in a MAME game list and the selector is on Dig Dug and I have a marquee, 3d cab, video snap, title snap, controller image, and flyer image...what determines what gets shown? It seems there should be some kind of ability to prioritize/limit what an image shows.

Also, semi-related, are these images scaled or stretched? (i.e., fill whatever the shape is that's made in the theme editor or scale keeping aspect ratio).

And, just to confirm - am I correct in that there's only two fonts (including size, type, style, etc., variations) available throughout an entire theme and certain elements are hardcoded to use one of the two fonts?

I know that vids and snaps do not stretch and will grow/shrink while maintaining original aspect ratio. Only two fonts and one color selection for Title and all other text. Many of us have requested font selections/sizes/colors selectivble by theme for all text elements.

As for the heiarchy of the images and order in which they are displayed, will need to get one of the programmers (Tom or HK) to provide us with the definitive list.

Lol! Yeah, you could say that.

The first is a frequently mentioned feature request. I can see custom text alignment being a good recommendation too. I seem to recall Tom talking about improved themeing options in the works. Hopefully these improvements will come with that 'upgrade' along with being able to utilize layer settings for objects, as well as the ability to have a TTF in the theme folder instead of having to install it. And your smart stretching request.

If I didn't mention it, it's nice to see prolific themers among us. A belated welcome to the forums. Happy to help you with anything I can. :)

What's the format of the numbers in the actual theme.ini file? They don't seem to correlate to the actual theme resolution. (i.e., window=X,X,X,X - what are the x's in relation to?)

Also, bug reports for the Theme Editir:

1. Either I'm missing the option or RightJustifyTitleText is always getting set to true by the theme editor.

2. There's no way to set AnimatedSelector to anything other than true.

• 1 month later...

Hey gang,

I've started working on my theme and had a few questions for ya.

Somehow I've lost my weather. Any thoughts on what I should check?

Also I'm also only seeing one icon (window icon), should I be seeing the home and exit icons?

Can I change the colors of the top menu bar and the 'Start' text?

Thanks guys! I'm sure I'll have some more questions as I go.

dorsiatheme.jpg