All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Theme Editor Questions...

headkaze

how does one define the width of the selection bar?

Hi eXo,

The selector bar is always the same width as the list, you cannot alter it seperatly, so if the selector bar is too large, then you need to decrease the width of the list to suit your background.

Or alternatively you can add a black line on both edges of each selector image in order to shrink it (this isn't recommended though).

Hi eXo,

The selector bar is always the same width as the list, you cannot alter it seperatly, so if the selector bar is too large, then you need to decrease the width of the list to suit your background.

Or alternatively you can add a black line on both edges of each selector image in order to shrink it (this isn't recommended though).

thanks for the info. I suppose the next logical question is how to set the width of the list? I didn't see this in the ini file either...

Sorry it's about time I caught up with this thread

I read through the string and didn't see this mentioned... how does one define the width of the selection bar?
You can't it's size is hard coded in GameEx.
In fact I want to have 3 pictures presentet when browsing through the rom list ( Box Art, and 2 game Screenshots, can be treated as the snap and the cartridge picture for example).

Currently you can't have anything other than snaps on the one page. The Theme Editor only supports the features currently present in GameEx. If GameEx is updated to support them, then the Theme Editor will follow suit.

Is this just a limitation of snap shots or is it possible to have other artwork present at the same time?
See answer above.
thanks for the info. I suppose the next logical question is how to set the width of the list? I didn't

see this in the ini file either...

You should be able so change the size by draggin the corner of the list out in the Theme Editor.

Hope this helps guys! (And thanks to the regulars here for stepping in and helping answer these questions)

Sorry it's about time I caught up with this thread

You can't it's size is hard coded in GameEx.

Currently you can't have anything other than snaps on the one page. The Theme Editor only supports the features currently present in GameEx. If GameEx is updated to support them, then the Theme Editor will follow suit.

See answer above.

You should be able so change the size by draggin the corner of the list out in the Theme Editor.

Hope this helps guys! (And thanks to the regulars here for stepping in and helping answer these questions)

unfortunately I'm using a previously made theme to create me new theme (rather than make one from scratch), and this 'template' theme is not compatible with theme editor, as it is not a version 2 theme.

I was hoping to simply find a numerical value to change to define the width of the list.

• 2 weeks later...
Theme editor use to support avi backgrounds. It now tells me that this is this now restricted only to mpg files? Or is my theme editor gone south?

Looks like your right mate, just had a look. Only mpg is currently supported in the Theme Editor. I didn't even realise this. I will have to do an update some time.

unfortunately I'm using a previously made theme to create me new theme (rather than make one from scratch), and this 'template' theme is not compatible with theme editor, as it is not a version 2 theme.

I was hoping to simply find a numerical value to change to define the width of the list.

i believe there is a theme converter by kaze?

Hey y'all:

I've had to enlist your help before, and maybe it's just me being lazy, but I cannot get different backgrounds up for different emulators. Some versions back, I was certain support for that had been added to GameEx, because before my computer crashed and burned I had different backgrounds showing for each emulator. What did I know then that I've forgotten now? :)

What am I doing wrong? I saw the post about creating the "emulators" directory in my Themes file, but that hasn't helped either. I am using a v2 theme, also - my root was Talking Bull's theme.

Hey y'all:

I've had to enlist your help before, and maybe it's just me being lazy, but I cannot get different backgrounds up for different emulators. Some versions back, I was certain support for that had been added to GameEx, because before my computer crashed and burned I had different backgrounds showing for each emulator. What did I know then that I've forgotten now? :)

What am I doing wrong? I saw the post about creating the "emulators" directory in my Themes file, but that hasn't helped either. I am using a v2 theme, also - my root was Talking Bull's theme.

Sorry but that info about creating an emultoars folder is old news and no longer applies. I've now deleted that information.

• 3 months later...

In the theme editor I didn't notice anyway to move the "Menu" item...heck didn't even see it at all.

However not editor related but I've seem to ran into a bug with v2 themes...hell maybe its present in v1's as well...but it appears that one can not move the menu item below an area that will be displaying images or video....or maybe its just that my theme resolution is 1680x1050...

Hi there.

I recently downloaded GameEx and liked it so much that I donated, to get the full version. Then I started fooling around with the Theme Editor and I'm enjoying it a lot, except I've run into a little problem with my current NES theme.

Here is a picture of it so far.

nesbakqh8.png

As you can see, everything looks pretty much aligned except for the info box (By Name, By Category... etc.) and the list num box at the bottom (8 of 762).

Now I've tried dragging these boxes to different parts of the layout in the Theme Editor, but whenever I boot up GameEx, they are always in the same position.

I've even tried dragging these boxes in other layouts like the (Emulator) (Daphne) and (MAME) layouts, but it doesn't make a difference. These boxes never move.

Thanks in advance.

-gerg

Hi there.

I recently downloaded GameEx and liked it so much that I donated, to get the full version. Then I started fooling around with the Theme Editor and I'm enjoying it a lot, except I've run into a little problem with my current NES theme.

Here is a picture of it so far.

As you can see, everything looks pretty much aligned except for the info box (By Name, By Category... etc.) and the list num box at the bottom (8 of 762).

Now I've tried dragging these boxes to different parts of the layout in the Theme Editor, but whenever I boot up GameEx, they are always in the same position.

I've even tried dragging these boxes in other layouts like the (Emulator) (Daphne) and (MAME) layouts, but it doesn't make a difference. These boxes never move.

Thanks in advance.

-gerg

I made a change in the Theme Editor that I was never sure if Tom got around to putting into GameEx. So I may need to change that back or ask Tom to make the necessary change again.

If you can just verify if my feelings on this are right.

Open your Theme.ini file and under the [Layout] section

Change "Info=" to "ImageInfo="

If you can get back to me on if that solves the problem.

• 4 weeks later...
Let me know if I need to do anything.

Cheers.

I'm having the same problem as gerg was with the info box staying in the same location and don't see a response from him trying Headkaze's suggestion. I've tried changing 'Info' to 'ImageInfo' in the Theme.ini with no luck. In fact, when I then open the Theme again it recreates the Info box (and init entry) with the default location and size: Info=20,160,251,159

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for any help.

I'm having the same problem as gerg was with the info box staying in the same location and don't see a response from him trying Headkaze's suggestion. I've tried changing 'Info' to 'ImageInfo' in the Theme.ini with no luck. In fact, when I then open the Theme again it recreates the Info box (and init entry) with the default location and size: Info=20,160,251,159

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for any help.

I've sent an e-mail to Tom about this issue. I have a feeling I changed the name of one of the graphic elements which was not updated in GameEx. We should get this fixed ASAP. Just out of curiousity can you try changing "Info" to "Menu". I have a feeling that could be the one I renamed.

I've sent an e-mail to Tom about this issue. I have a feeling I changed the name of one of the graphic elements which was not updated in GameEx. We should get this fixed ASAP. Just out of curiousity can you try changing "Info" to "Menu". I have a feeling that could be the one I renamed.

After looking in the Theme init again I noticed there is already a Menu line. I deleted the Info entry and manually changed the coordinates of the Menu line and this did the trick, the block of items were moved in my layout. When I open the theme in the Theme Editor again however it restores the Info box to it's default position and adds the entry back to the init file. I guess the workaround for the time being is manually changing the Menu entry in the init file.

• 4 weeks later...
Is there a way to create the 'bubble up' effect used on the text in the V1 MCE Theme?

With this effect the text and graphic of the current game selection gets larger and 'bubble's up' as you select it.

Sooo I guess there's no way to create the bubble up effect with V2 themes then? Bummer, I think this is cool.

Ok, Is there a way to have custom layouts for modules and emulators now? I see the tick boxes in the Theme Editor but GameEx still only uses the coordinates for the [layout] properties in the Theme.ini file even though it creates custom .ini files for each of the modules and emulators you customize. GameEx just doesn't seem to use them. It will use the custom backgrounds but not the layout.

Sooo I guess there's no way to create the bubble up effect with V2 themes then? Bummer, I think this is cool.

Ok, Is there a way to have custom layouts for modules and emulators now? I see the tick boxes in the Theme Editor but GameEx still only uses the coordinates for the [layout] properties in the Theme.ini file even though it creates custom .ini files for each of the modules and emulators you customize. GameEx just doesn't seem to use them. It will use the custom backgrounds but not the layout.

If I understnad what you mean the bubble up effect is for V1 themes only AFAIK. I think it's the "Advanced Graphics" or "3D Menu Transitions" option. Tom would have to verify that for sure though.

Also the custom layouts for modules and emulators are not supported in GameEx yet. Tom has been very busy with real life work lately so it's another feature in the pipeline. Hopefully he will get around to it some time.

If I understnad what you mean the bubble up effect is for V1 themes only AFAIK. I think it's the "Advanced Graphics" or "3D Menu Transitions" option. Tom would have to verify that for sure though.

I don't think it's a GameEx setting. The only place I've seen this effect is in the V1 Media Center theme and it's only on the first page. Basically when you go from item to item the letters and surrounding oval get larger.

Also the custom layouts for modules and emulators are not supported in GameEx yet. Tom has been very busy with real life work lately so it's another feature in the pipeline. Hopefully he will get around to it some time.

That's what I figured after going back through the forums. Just out of curiosity, why did you include tick boxes for these options before they're implemented in GameEx? I'd rather have a missing feature than options there to 'psyche me out' and make me think it should be working. :wacko:

I don't think it's a GameEx setting. The only place I've seen this effect is in the V1 Media Center theme and it's only on the first page. Basically when you go from item to item the letters and surrounding oval get larger.

It looks like it's a theme option because any GameEx option can be overridden in the Theme.ini file under the [General] section.

That's what I figured after going back through the forums. Just out of curiosity, why did you include tick boxes for these options before they're implemented in GameEx? I'd rather have a missing feature than options there to 'psyche me out' and make me think it should be working. :wacko:

When the Theme Editor was being developed that's just the way Tom and me designed it to work. Other priorities just meant some things were not implemented at the time. I thought people could design their theme and when the full module layout support was added in GameEx then your theme would then appear the way you designed it. I also didn't want to keep having to update the Theme Editor every time Tom added a new feature to the V2 theme support. I wanted to have it all done and let him introduce the features as he wanted. It's much easier to have the Theme Editor output the theme format and for Tom to design the rendering in GameEx around that rather than the other way around.