All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Theme Editor Questions...

headkaze

It is actually quite easy once you know what you are looking for. For example, someone might have created a 1024x768 theme and is only using Image and is not using Image2 as an available item.

- Load the theme via Theme Editor > Open an Existing Theme (if working on your theme or another's).

- Look under the Object Browser section within Theme Editor and click on Image2.

- Look at the X (horizontal) and Y (vertical) settings. You will often find that the item is moved outside the parameters of the theme or, at least to the furthest limits of the theme (i.e. X = 800 or greater and Y = 600 or greater).

- Change the X-Y coordinates to somewhere within the theme.

- In some cases, you may also need to expand the W and H dimensions as it may be reduced to 1 pixel for each and click on the "eye" icon (visibility) if it does not display.

- Position and size the item to fit your theme, and save!

• Like 2

It is actually quite easy once you know what you are looking for. For example, someone might have created a 1024x768 theme and is only using Image and is not using Image2 as an available item.

- Load the theme via Theme Editor > Open an Existing Theme (if working on your theme or another's).

- Look under the Object Browser section within Theme Editor and click on Image2.

- Look at the X (horizontal) and Y (vertical) settings. You will often find that the item is moved outside the parameters of the theme or, at least to the furthest limits of the theme (i.e. X = 800 or greater and Y = 600 or greater).

- Change the X-Y coordinates to somewhere within the theme.

- In some cases, you may also need to expand the W and H dimensions as it may be reduced to 1 pixel for each and click on the "eye" icon (visibility) if it does not display.

- Position and size the item to fit your theme, and save!

Thank you.

Yeah, i had to heavily modify an existing theme to get two images. So i guess i'm fine with that.

But is it possible to add a third or even maybe a forth image?

So the total is like, Video + Titlescreen + Box.

At the moment it is image=video and image2=titlescreen. (By default i think)

Btw when i click on image2 (in a theme with only one image) in the Object Browser it wont recognize it at all. The text and parameters from the item marked before remains in the textboxes. And if i change anything nothing happens. Even the name of the one marked before remain in the "namebox"

To answer your questions about adding additional images, no, this is not possible. You can see additional images (if available) within the individual game options.

As for the issue with Object Browser, I have found that I have to sometimes click on the object above or below a time or two while attempting to click on the item to get its coordinates and size info to show.

You can open the theme.ini file via Notepad and locate Image2 and change the coordinates to those that fit within the theme parameters, then save it and reopen the theme via Theme Editor.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Unfortunately, there isn't a guide of any kind. What I would recommend is studying one of the already created themes to use as your template and going from there. Most of the image creation is going to have to be done with free software such as GIMP, or paid for software such as Adobe Photoshop. The Theme Editor application is best used for object placement and font selection and assignment.

• Like 1

Image creation is no issue for me, what I'm trying to do is set up a wheel like Hyperspin has.. I'll just take a screenshot of what I have so far;

http://i.imgur.com/0YvrqFf.jpg

So in that space on the right hand side, I'm trying to set up a wheel that if possible follows the curvature in place. and acts sort of like a wheel of fortune wheel.

I'm also wondering if I can replace all of the text menu items with image based buttons?

Thanks for your reply. High five to you good sir.

The functionality for HyperSpin-like wheel selections is not available in GameEx. Similar funtionality is planned for Evolution. Same goes for image based buttons for text menu items. This is something that may be available in Evolution, however, I am not 100% certain of that at present.

Well. I'll cross my fingers then.

I had used G-EX years and years ago (see how old my account here is) I switched to HS because it was 'flashier' decided to give G-EX another try to see what's changed and you can do quite a bit with it. There was probably a lot I was missing the first time around. I don't believe the 3d rotating arcade cabinets were in the last time I used it. I'll need to disable those. Only because they don't mesh with the theme I'm making, it's a pretty cool feature.

I remember seeing an trailer for Evolution a while ago. I actually initially 'came back' because I thought it was out, and then downloaded Game Ex to start digging around and maybe make some themes.

I really hope there's a wheel. Or a multi-directional cover flow element. That would certain be great and could be set up as a wheel.

For now, I'll place my theme on hold until I can figure out how to do a wheel or at least vertical image menu. And be anxious for Evolution to come out.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm considering purchasing GameEx for my new Mame installation as my old computer is just about dead. I used Mala in that one which I really liked but I see that Mala is just about dead and is not supported anymore from Loadman. I see in the forums that there are compatibility problems with new versions of Mame and Mala also.

I was excited to see GameEx showing up in various places on the web in advertising and it looks like its going strong. I've been testing GameEx and I like what I see except for I can't figure out the theme editor which is kind of a high priority for me and my setup which I would assume would be for most people.

I was barely able to resurrect a couple screenshots from my old Mala layout editor setup although I couldn't get a live shot.

Can GameEx make a theme like I've got from Mala? I tried and the only thing I could do in the theme editor was move some objects around, change font size, and resize stuff. Is there any customization at all available like Mala or am I missing something? Is it in the paid version? As you can see I like to add the game property texts and various images, marquees, snaps, control panels, flyers, etc.

Thanks,

Scott

post-8007-0-37249700-1420235059_thumb.jp

post-8007-0-21946900-1420235103_thumb.jp

The Theme Editor for GameEx is more for manipulating the objects than actual theme creation. Most members use either GIMP or Photoshop or other image creation/manipulation tools to create distinct themes for GameEx. Customization is going to be much different than with Mala, I'm afraid, as GameEx is a different sort of beast as you have already noticed.

I have atttached an example of the Wreck-It Ralph theme (static image, theme in action snap) I was working on along with the .xcf (This is a GIMP format file with layers, similar to a PhotoShop .psd file).

post-5872-0-75444500-1420241126_thumb.pn post-5872-0-24203100-1420241122_thumb.pn Wreck-It Ralph.xcf

I will warn that the learning curve is a little steep as there isn't much in the way of documentation with Theme Editor. I have found it best to pick a theme and experiment by basing a theme off of another theme and select for version 4 themes for best results.

Hmmm, I was really looking for a total theme/layout editor to do more than just move a few objects around. I already have the background so Gimp or Photoshop isn't going to help me.

Yes, Mala and GameEx are different, but I'm surprised that there isn't more customization for the theme layout for this in GameEx after all these years. Will Evolution have a total theme customization editor?

Thanks for your reply.

To answer your question about the Theme Editor in Evolution, yes, it will be more robust than the current iteration. To what degree I cannot say at this time as I have not seen it in action. Likely, there will still be some requirement to create/modify images outside of the editor as it is not meant to take the place of PhotoShop or GIMP in that regard. As for the current system, we have managed to make it work.

• 1 month later...

I decided to give GameEx a good long hard try with my new cabinet so I went ahead with the lifetime version.

I tried to work on a new Mala setup but ran into too many problems and got tired of trying to do crappy workarounds.

I'm looking forward to the Evolution release but I'm also feeling pretty good about the version as it is now and what I want to do.

I've got lots of questions but I just need to do more fiddling and researching on some things.

Thanks

A few thoughts on GameEx and the themes for me.

I've been working on my setup for a week and I'm getting there.

GameEx has a lot of stuff and I'm pretty impressed. I found a theme called Default - Brokeh that I like. Its not flashy but it functions very well. There's a lot of cool little features in the themes that Mala doesn't have. I still can't customize as much as I'd like to but I probably could if I had more time and skill.

Anyway, I'm a GameEx guy now and won't be going back to Mala as there is everything I'd ever need and much much more. I'm really looking for to the Evo release.

I run in a cab only but I'm in between cabs right now.

My new cab from recroommasters is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. My new 32" widescreen TV for the new cab max support is 1920 x 1080 but I haven't seen it in action yet.

I'm just setting up GameEx on the computer right now so don't know what resolution will be best. My old cab used 1024 x 768 on a 24" widescreen. I was guessing that I'd just use 1024 x 768 again, but I'm not really sure yet.

There are qutie a bit more HD themes as of late that look decent at 1920x1080. Likely you will want to go that route rather than 1024x768 on an large display like you will have in the new cab. I just released Smoked Glass which you can easily customize with your own background images if you go that resolution. There are many more that are even better IMO as we have some talented authors, I guess it is a matter of your taste.

• 6 months later...

I can't figure out how to get rid of the menu "change theme, shutdown, etc" on my theme.

Also, any way to disable options per page of my theme? I.e. Display weather on main page, but not on mame or emulator pages?

You will need to load the theme via Theme Editor and look under Options. You may be able to disable weather there. You will also need to look in the GameEx Setup Wizard and look under Enable / Disable Features to see which of these items you wish to disable from view.

• 1 year later...

Now Gameex has eye-candy stuff like background and logos, i've checked the theme editor and i'm a bit frustrated on how it works.

I've experimented some things and  quite a good result but i've one or two questions about it :

1- Can i had an object in the theme editor : i want to put "Image 3" (it will be the carts) on the game description but i don't have found a way to add an object (is it limited to 2 images? )

2- I have many emulators and i don't want that all emulators pages are displaying the same. For example, for the SNES page, i want the video in the top  right corner instead of on h the left because i've a special background for SNES (like in Hyperspin). In the theme editor, i can see layouts but i can't add one for a new emulator, i just can edit those already in the list

Should i have to play with .ini files and create new ones ? Is there another way to do this?

Thanks

1. You can't do this currently.

2. You can create layouts for individual emulators, you'll have to browse around in the editor or on the forums a bit as I don't know the exact location of the option. Krakerman's Gameroom theme definitely leveraged this.