All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Theme Editor Questions...

headkaze

Hi Everyone

I have received a few personal messages about the Theme Editor and I would just like to say, please post your questions here so others can read and benefit from them. I understand that there is no Theme Editor documentation and that some features are not fully functional so don't feel bad asking in the main forums about it.

How do I disable the taskbar in my theme? I have set it to "always hide" in GameEx configuration, but in the V2 theme, it's always visible. That's a bug, right?

Edit: Here's a feature request for the theme editor: Can you possibly split "Image / Info" into "Image" and "Info"? So you can place them correctly instead of just guessing where things end up? I hope that don't sound to much like I'm bitching, because the theme editor is really bitchin'!

Edit2: I found an unorthodox way of getting rid of it, I put it down at the bottom and made it 1 pixel high. Now I have further questions, look at my attachment and watch the circled areas:

post-121-1140550772_thumb.jpg

As you can see, I can't figure out how to "get rid of" the home and exit buttons either. And since the "Image / Info" isn't working as it should I get both in my black space instead of just the screen, which I wanted to take up all the space that it currently does.

I guess that I can do a bit of guess work and experiment, but full control is better.

Edit3: Here's an example of what I can get with the current "Image / Info" setting. As you can see from the screenshot, the "Image" would look much better further down into the black area of my background.

post-121-1140551852_thumb.jpg

Another feature request for the theme editor: How about an option to disable the outlines on the selector bar?

Emph

Thanks emphatic, your probably the first person to actually test the Theme Editor properly so I appreciate that.

I'm not sure about disabling the taskbar, need to get Tom to reply about that one, if I need to add an extra option in the Theme Editor to accomodate this I will. The task bar should definately be optional IMHO.

As for Image / Info, I agree 100%, it needs to be separate, and Tom actually mentioned that to me too. I'll ask Tom about it and see if he wants me to do this change. We wanted to get it out there so people could start playing with it, as you can tell there are some things that need changing.

Disabling the outlines on the selector bar is no problem, I can add this for next release.

That's excellent! Looking forward to it!

Edit: Found another thing, in Edit->Options, there's only a font selection for the main font. There should be either a checkbox for "use also for titles" and/or another box for "title fonts".

Emph

nice one Tom that was what i meant :)

and headkaze im trying your editor as well so emphatic isnt the "only" one :)

tho one thing have come up while using your theme editor a font related issue i cant sovle i have in settings sat that option on there gives outlines on the fonts but when switching to my v2 theme its disapers and when i changes back to a old theme the outline on the fonts comes back ..

Edit : well i found a solution i changed the OutlineFonts=True in the Theme.ini and it works now :)

it wasent the first time i tired it not sure if i was a mistake from my end but work now :)

about the top right corner Window mode button are gone and if i press there nothing happends im not sure if its a option in game ex i forgot to switch on ...

a SS you can see its not there (i have edited a red circle to show where its missing) but as said i have been looking in the options and didnt find anything :)

post-138-1140634014_thumb.jpg

Use the "Object Browser" and go to Taskbar->Window... can you see it now? Otherwise try putting 0 in X and Y location for the object and it should place it at the top left corner. Then you can move it to where you need it. Give it a try and let me know, it could be a bug.

EDIT: Perhaps it's gone since currently V2 themes don't work in windowed mode. So that would probably explain why it's not there.

I would say Tom has intentionally removed this because V2 themes can't be displayed in windowed mode yet. It's actually quite hard to get all the objects to display right using a dynamically sized window otherwise he would have put it in there already. Leave it there and it will probably be available in a future release.

I would say Tom has intentionally removed this because V2 themes can't be displayed in windowed mode yet. It's actually quite hard to get all the objects to display right using a dynamically sized window otherwise he would have put it in there already. Leave it there and it will probably be available in a future release.

Headkaze is correct, and thanks buddy ;)

I can't get emulator backgrounds to show in GamEx.

I created the Themes\Eulators directory and it keeps showing the background I specified for the Eumlator page.

I went into the config page to set it there and it found the file but it sitll isn't showing in Gamex.

I though this was already stated but - Its not implemented fully yet, currently only for demonstration purposes.

GameEx Theme Editor v1.1

- Added loader graphics (pleasewait.png, pleasewaitbar.png)

- Info / Image now separated to Info and Image

- Selector bar outline optional

Please be patient for Tom to add this to GameEx next release :)

Now that's a BIG improvement! Great!

Emph

Whenever GameEx loads, it shows my MAME background as my start. When I go to another page, the correct StartBak loads and remains but it is always wrong when it loads up.

Also when I go to the Emulators seciton, my StartBak is there and not my EmuBak, that shows up on each Emulator's page.

Whenever GameEx loads, it shows my MAME background as my start.  When I go to another page, the correct StartBak loads and remains but it is always wrong when it loads up.

Also when I go to the Emulators seciton, my StartBak is there and not my EmuBak, that shows up on each Emulator's page.

This sounds to me like a GameEx issue rather than with the Theme Editor. Probably need to get Tom to check that out.

i love the theme editor and the ability to move the image and list boxes around. i do have a few questions for you:

- is there a way to remove the rectangular background color of the selection screen?

- i can't seem to save my themes using the "file->save" option. i can save just fine by selecting "file->save as" and overwritting the current theme.ini but the "file->save" gives me a pop-up box saying, "An error has occured while attempting to save the theme". i'm sorry that i don't have more info to give you on this but i couldn't find a theme editor log to submit with this post.

- is there a standard format youd like us users to use for submitting tests for the theme editor?

- is there a way to remove the rectangular background color of the selection screen?

Not quite sure what you mean by remove "rectangular background color of the selection screen". What do you mean? The dashed box that surrounds the selected object? Why would you want to remove it?

- i can't seem to save my themes using the "file->save" option. i can save just fine by selecting "file->save as" and overwritting the current theme.ini but the "file->save" gives me a pop-up box saying, "An error has occured while attempting to save the theme". i'm sorry that i don't have more info to give you on this but i couldn't find a theme editor log to submit with this post.

Don't worry too much about this error, if you have changed an image or something and the Theme Editor can't save the image for some reason (those missing directories a few releases back come to mind) then it will show the error. But it will probably save the theme ok anyway.

I guess that Tom is working on the V2 theme issues (bad game links etc) since Theme Editor 1.1 wasn't in GameEx 5.74. Any estimates when 1.1 will be included?

*cough* hurry up *cough* ;)

Emph

Yes correct I am working on the issues first. I am being honest here but I have not even had a chance to look at 1.1. Although rest assured I am still spending tons of time on GameEx.

Other than that your'll just have to wait, I don't like providing estimates as this is supposed to be fun for me, and I know for Headkaze too.