All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Theme Editor Questions...

headkaze

Yes i've found this in the meantime.

I've got another problem so perhaps you know the solution too....

I display artwork in the background of the game list (it seems to pick up matching file in that order if it exists  :background->Box->Snap->None (black background))

Instead of the black background,if no matching artwork is found, i want to display the default emulator background.

I've set the "no snap image", so when there is no "image 1 or image2" artwork, the no snap file is well displayed in the image 1 and image 2 location but not in the background (black background).

I don't know if it's really clear, perhaps i have to record a mini video to show this.

Thanks

So here is the video.

I've used GameCube list to show the problem. As you can see,there is an emulator background image for Gamecube (i've set this in the setup wizard as custom background for the emulator and for the "no snap" image.)

When i enter the game list, i want to display this background image instead of the black background you can see when Gameex doesn't find an artwork.

Notice that when there is no snap to display, the emulator background image is well displayed in the snap or box location, but not in the background.

I hope it's more clear :)

Black_Background_Problem.mkv

• 4 months later...

How do I assign what get displayed in the image 1 or 2 as well as the description boxes. I have the image boxes had already been set but I may want to change the type of images go into them down the road. Say instead of snap I want to see a pic of carts as an example. Also I have a description box but no sure how to point it to the database I want displayed.

5 hours ago, DazzleHP said:

Moved. And all you need to do is change paths ;)

OK OK i think  understand. So the image 1 is set to the emulator setup snap path selection? I am also assuming that it will look in the video snap files first and if missing default to the normal snap files correct? Is image 2 set to box art?? Lastly what is the description box set to? 

Image 1 will display when going through the list the video snap over a normal snap. When you are on the game "Play this Game" page, it will display the video or still image, 3D Cab if that is available, etc. depending on which option you move the selector bar.

Image 2 will display marquee, box art, 3D cab, I believe in that order when on the list page. Image 2 will be variable on the play this game screen.

The description box will describe the title and manufacturer info.

• Like 1

On 03/02/2017 at 2:06 PM, Draco1962 said:

Image 1 will display when going through the list the video snap over a normal snap. When you are on the game "Play this Game" page, it will display the video or still image, 3D Cab if that is available, etc. depending on which option you move the selector bar.

Image 2 will display marquee, box art, 3D cab, I believe in that order when on the list page. Image 2 will be variable on the play this game screen.

The description box will describe the title and manufacturer info.

Pretty much this. Image box 1 will display whatever path you have it set to, so you can manipulate it somewhat (ie change paths) Image box 2 however is far more dependent on the theme and is a bit limited. This, among many other reasons is why i believe Evo was conceived.

• 3 weeks later...

So I am now doing OK with the Image 1 & 2 boxes and videos in the theme editor but the Description box is another story. I can never get it to populate in fact the only time I can read any game description is when I enable the show game information page in the editor features which I really do not want to use because I do not want to bring up another page before starting the game. Is there a way to show the game information in the description box? If so where do I place the files and what type of file and layout do I use?

• 6 years later...

I have been poking around with the theme editor to tweak an existing theme, but I am a little confused.  It seems like I can move things around on an existing layout, but not really change anything other than position.  How are the fields tied to a given asset or list?  I was looking through the ini files for maybe a manual way to change things, but I can't find anything that specifies specific paths for images, how lists are managed, navigation behavior, etc.  Am I missing something?

The main thing I wanted to do was remove the "change view" from the menus.  This seems to take you to a screen layout that is difficult that isn't very intuitive to get you back to the default view.  Once I figured that out, I thought I might play around a little more.

Thanks,

-John

I found some discussion buried in a longer thread that is helping me get the idea.  It sounds like they are fixed in terms of what assets are on it, and the editor allows resizing and placement.

If I understand things, Image is bound to an image that changes based on the rom being displayed, and image2 is to a video.  Is image tied to the path Image Snap and image2 tied to Video Snap in the setup?  What are the Select Line and Scroller Objects?

It also seemed like the menu displayed is context-sensitive.   At least on one theme, the menu on a given emulator would let you change the view based on date, publisher, etc.  But on one emulator screen, the menu was more of a navigation menu.  What determines which type of menu is displayed?

Thanks,

-John

21 hours ago, John Simon said:

I found some discussion buried in a longer thread that is helping me get the idea.  It sounds like they are fixed in terms of what assets are on it, and the editor allows resizing and placement.

If I understand things, Image is bound to an image that changes based on the rom being displayed, and image2 is to a video.  Is image tied to the path Image Snap and image2 tied to Video Snap in the setup?  What are the Select Line and Scroller Objects?

It also seemed like the menu displayed is context-sensitive.   At least on one theme (which theme?), the menu on a given emulator would let you change the view based on date, publisher, etc.  But on one emulator screen, the menu was more of a navigation menu.  What determines which type of menu is displayed?

Thanks,

-John

I merged your thread with the existing Theme Editor Questions thread.

Unfortunately there is not a comprehensive guide on how to use it and much of my experience has been trial & error to the point of bypassing using it altogether and creating my themes by replacing existing images and/or video backgrounds as needed.

If you can provide more information as to which themes you are referencing I or someone else might be able to assist you in an answer.