All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[CABINET] My cab is done!! Photos attached! Now I need good references for using Wiimotes??

MNMax21

Wow, I finally finished my cabinet!! The cabinet name is 'Metacarpal Madness.' Which was because I broke the 4th metacarpal in my right hand trying to drill out starter holes for the coin door. My wife came up with it. I think mostly out of mocking me, but it stuck! haha I think it turned out pretty good. I have a main power button on the control panel and also a bottle opener on the side. That was a must! The control panel can be removed for ease of moving through doorways. I can post more on it if people like it. I uploaded a few photos of the end result.

I am now looking into some finishing touches. Are these things really ever done!?! They are a nice hobby though, that's for sure. I have always wanted to get a spinner and a couple of aimtrac guns from ultimarc. But, with my daughter in daycare our funds are a little tight. I already have a wii and 4 rechargeable wiimotes, which i actually use to play mame on my ipad at times. I am wondering if anyone can direct me to a site of reference where I can get a step by step guide on setting up the use of wiimotes in mame, as well as using them in the Nestopia emulator among others.

In the end I think I will have a spinner on the control panel and purchase the wheel attachment at ultimarc. That way I can at least play a little pole position or APB without too much trouble.

I put 2 USB ports on the outside of both sides of the control panel, in anticipation of the aimtrac guns and other USB items (ipod, etc)

Max

post-9407-0-47435100-1352954318_thumb.jp

post-9407-0-94759400-1352954324_thumb.jp

post-9407-0-01196600-1352954331_thumb.jp

• Like 9

Great looking cab MNMax21! The side art, t-molding, diamond plate kick panel, and all the other details make this a fantastic looking build. That bottle opener is classic! :D Nice work.

I am wondering if anyone can direct me to a site of reference where I can get a step by step guide on setting up the use of wiimotes in mame, as well as using them in the Nestopia emulator among others.

Howard Casto has posted some really good information on this subject over at the BYOAC forums. Specifically the information he provides in the linked post is related to using Glovepie to configure your Wiimotes. Howard is pretty responsive to questions should you hit any rough patches.

Cool, thanks for the info. nullpointer. The bottle opener has an old orange crush bottle cap on it. I found it on amazon.com for pretty cheap. The side art is actually just wall decals/stickers. I got the marquee and bezel from gameongrafix.com, but the side art was pretty spendy on their website. I found www.whatisblik.com while randomly looking at thinkgeek.com. They have an assortment of video game themed wall decals. The mario set was only $75 for 3 sheets of misc. decals. It was very hard deciding on which stickers to get. They had the old mario 8bit? graphics too. I thought this would look the best as side art though.

Here's a link to the video game theme wall decals if anyone is interested.

http://www.whatisblik.com/shop/explore?theme=77

Thanks for the kind words on the cabinet.

Hey MNMax21. Great job on the cabinet. It looks fantastic. Also great find on Blik. That is EXACTLY what I've been looking for to decorate the area around my MAME in my basement. I thought about painting the logos, characters etc. on but don't have the patience. I'm a trained artist (years ago) but just want it done now! Anyway, enjoy your masterpiece.

joeb180,

Thanks for the kind words, especially from an artist. Be careful with the blik. I love them and they worked great. However, if you are putting them over a dark color you cannot really use all of them. I tried to put the mario ground/grass on the bottom of the cabinet sides, but the black bled through pretty bad. The others seemed to work just fine. The material just isn't all that thick, not even close to the laminate from gameongrafix. However, that stuff is pricey. I would still buy this stuff again and I love it. I just wanted to make sure you knew it was not that thick. You can remove it and move it around though, which is nice. I however cannot, because I have dogs and I'm worried the dog hair would get behind the sticker.

GeorgeT

Yeah, I was really happy when I found the plating. It was actually very cheap. I originally went to Home Depot and it was about $50 and needed to be cut down. I decided to shop around on the internet and came across Tread Ware. Here is a link if you're interested:

http://tread-ware.com/

Here is a direct link to the kick plates:

https://store.tread-...tegory_Code=420

• 5 weeks later...

Awesome cab,looks really nice ... im supprised adultery hasn't comment'd on the artwork! :D

The diamond plate is great! Thanks for that link, I have negative space all along the bottom of my cab (it was a reclaimed cabinet) and the wood shows through the black right at the bottom edge. That would be the perfect finishing touch! :)

• 1 year later...

The diamond plate is great! Thanks for that link, I have negative space all along the bottom of my cab (it was a reclaimed cabinet) and the wood shows through the black right at the bottom edge. That would be the perfect finishing touch! :)

Would be cool if you could adapt a stainless steel brick mosaic tile for your kick plate.

brick-metal-mosaic-stainless-steel-5-8-x

Yeah, that's a pretty sick tile. I like the tiles that come in those 12"x12" pieces like that too. It's funny, but I never really thought about tile on a cab. That might actually look really cool. You would have to find bigger t-molding or come up with a different plan for the edges. I think you could probably do something really cool though. Have a mix of tiles to and make a design with some glass and then the metal above. You could probably get some sort of MAME logo going too. Maybe if I ever build a pinball MAME machine, I'll go that route.

She's definitely got some hips to her Dazzle. That's why I had to make the control panel detachable. It wouldn't have fit through doorways at my home if not. She's a bit big boned, but you gotta love her. :)

I had to get that 32" LCD TV in there somehow.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Cool, very cool! Great idea on the side art too.

I got my control panel from Jack, over at Arcades R Fun, and it has a very similar lighting pattern on it. I've been talking my pedestal build up ever since buying it, enough to really grate on everyone's nerves. I keep hearing "you'll probably get bored of it, and never play it". So the question is, at about the year and a half mark, are you still playing?

I think I know the answer to that!

Great work man!

• 4 weeks later...

I am still playing it. I don't get down there quite as much as I'd like to with a young daughter in the mix now, but it's worth the sacrifice. I've also gotten into the new Titanfall game on Xbox One. I have to start playing a little more though. I need to up my game over in the high score competitions.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...