All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

What in the name of MAME?

RIP-Felix

I am just starting to get into MAME, but am overwhelmed by the options in GameEx. I can't seem to find a comprehensive tutorial. I have been content with other emulators, but am planning an arcade cabinet and would like to introduce MAME to my collection. I have a feeling that the introduction of non resalable game media is going to end my gaming addiction (at least to new games). So I think I better be retro ready!

1) What is/are the best version(s) of MAME? Do I just need one, two, or all of them?

2) I want to replay the old classic light gun games, Terminator 2, House of the dead 1 & 2, Area 51, and so on. Is there a list of supported MAME games and the versions they work in, or at least any emulator they work in? I know the dreamcast released HOD2, can I use light guns in nullDC v1.0.4?

3) I like the Ultimarc Aimtrak guns but don't know how effective the new IR camera based technology compairs to the old school true "light guns". I remember being able to use the sights and get head shots right and left. My wiimote just can't hold up to that old school tech. It doesn't have the same accuracy and when moved quickly seems to lag behind. Are these Aimtraks dead on acurate? Can they track as fast as I can point and shoot at thoes rotten zombies skulls?

4) How should I set up my monitor? I was thinking of a 32" 1080P LCD HDTV in the portrate orientation for games like 1941, and having it display 4:3 with regular games with a black bar at the top and bottom. Is there a way to do this? Can I make thoes black bars display a marquee or instructions/controlls specific to the game playing and etc? This is my first choice because I already have a TV for it (my old one). I was also thinking of picking up an old CRT for authenticity, but since you can't find old school Light guns anymore and they don't connect to computers via USB, I don't see the advantage of better quality sprites outweighing the benifets of LCD (ease of connectivity with VGA and pc audio in, built in speakers, and HD).

Like I said, there are all kinds of options in GameEx and it seems overwhelming to me right now. I have a basic setup with a few MAME games, but am trying to plan an expensive build and there are too many unknowns to move forward. I would need a comprehensive tutorial (preferably video) to decide if what I have in mind is 1) possable, and 2) inexpensive enough. I'm trying to keep the total build under $500.

$200 of which is already going into the 2 player arcade controlls, probably the X-Arcade Tankstiks w/trackball, either prebuilt or the DIY kit, and at least another $100 bucks for 1 Aimtrak "light gun". I fugure $150 for lumber, paint, and cabinet accessories. That just leaves $50 for misc. expences.

I will take a stab at answering a few of these:

1) What is/are the best version(s) of MAME? Do I just need one, two, or all of them?

I would recommend the MAMEUI builds. You shouldn't need more than one. If you are running on a 64-bit OS, you can get a 64-bit optimised version and should be all you need. There are a host of derivatives that are unsupported by MAMEDev proper that will work with GameEx as well, however, most are not current and troubleshooting for most of us will be limited to official builds.

4) How should I set up my monitor? I was thinking of a 32" 1080P LCD HDTV in the portrate orientation for games like 1941, and having it display 4:3 with regular games with a black bar at the top and bottom. Is there a way to do this? Can I make thoes black bars display a marquee or instructions/controlls specific to the game playing and etc? This is my first choice because I already have a TV for it (my old one). I was also thinking of picking up an old CRT for authenticity, but since you can't find old school Light guns anymore and they don't connect to computers via USB, I don't see the advantage of better quality sprites outweighing the benifets of LCD (ease of connectivity with VGA and pc audio in, built in speakers, and HD).

I am assuming you are NOT going to display your HDTV in a portrait orientation (length of monitor/TV along vertical axis) but in its intended landscape orientation (length of monitor/TV along horizontal axis). :)

Generally, the black bars will be on the left and right of the game image in the example you gave and not on the top and bottom. If you have an old TV, then it is at 4:3 in most cases. There is limited ability to have bezels with instructions display with MAME games due to their limited recreation. Keep in mind that bezels were physically external to the video game and attached (in most examples) to frame the monitor of the cab.

There are some plugins with GameEx that will display additional controls, especially on a secondary monitor. Be ready to take some time to learn about and master MAME, but how to use the plugins to support additional features through GameEx. Most of the limitations will be a result of MAME itself, although GameEx does a great job of adding some additional features to the experience.

To address the authenticity statement, unless you are building a cab and can afford an arcade monitor, then you wil have to look into simulating the feel. That will require learning how to compile your MAME version using the source files and applying the various patch or .dif files for the features you wish to have (if created) and/or tweaking the mame.ini file.

For GameEx plugins and MAME compilers made simpler, you need only go over to the GameEx - User Projects forum and look at the various offerings from Headkaze, Adultery, and Tempest to get you started.

I am assuming you are NOT going to display your HDTV in a portrait orientation (length of monitor/TV along vertical axis) but in its intended landscape orientation (length of monitor/TV along horizontal axis). :)

Generally, the black bars will be on the left and right of the game image in the example you gave and not on the top and bottom. If you have an old TV, then it is at 4:3 in most cases. There is limited ability to have bezels with instructions display with MAME games due to their limited recreation. Keep in mind that bezels were physically external to the video game and attached (in most examples) to frame the monitor of the cab.

I actually want to place it in the cabinet 90 degrees from how you would normally watch TV (having the longer dimention vertical, portoriat not lanscape). This way when playing games like 1941, which scroll top to bottom, they will be able to fill the screen better. When playing 4:3 content (say, contra on NES) there would be black bars on the top and bottome of the screen. This would be close to the actual size of a arcade CRT made for each of these game types. At least more so than getting, IDK, a 27" LCD monitor and viewing it in the normal landscape orientation.This is where I would be intrested in being able to display a Marquee in the Black space at the top and game information at the bottom. I guess that would not be possable because its in the emulator at that point, not GameEx. Kind of too bad.

I actually want to place it in the cabinet 90 degrees from how you would normally watch TV (having the longer dimention vertical, portoriat not lanscape). This way when playing games like 1941, which scroll top to bottom, they will be able to fill the screen better. When playing 4:3 content (say, contra on NES) there would be black bars on the top and bottome of the screen. This would be close to the actual size of a arcade CRT made for each of these game types. At least more so than getting, IDK, a 27" LCD monitor and viewing it in the normal landscape orientation.This is where I would be intrested in being able to display a Marquee in the Black space at the top and game information at the bottom. I guess that would not be possable because its in the emulator at that point, not GameEx. Kind of too bad.

You can use bezels to do that in MAME. GameEx can actually generate bezels with game info at the bottom but they're not really designed for a vertical screen. Also there is no marquee at the top so you would need to add that.

Is there anyone using a vertically mounted screen? I'm curious what kind of hurtles to look out for.

I already ran into issues trying to get FCEultra to run in fullscreen with windows displaying vertically. Ultamatly the only way I could get it to display at all was with the windowed mode. I suspect there is a custom resoulution I could have used to make it work, but I couldn't find one. Any ideas?

I an building my first arcade cabinet and want to use my 32" LCD mounted vertically. This will allow vertical scrolling games like 1941 to fill the screen better and 4:3 content to be just about right. At least that is the theory.

Has anyone tried this? If so, what chalenges did you face and what solutions did you come up with.

@RIP-Felix - I took the liberty of merging your two topics since you were basically asking the same question in both threads. There is no need to do this! If someone has an answer to your questions they will answer, but it may not be the day you ask. If not, then that is how it goes.

Please bear in mind that multiple threads from the same OP for the same issue/question are kinda frowned upon in forum communities. While we try to be a little more forgiving, please watch this. Thanks!

Now, to answer another question. I myself have not built an arcade cab. From what I have seen of those that have using an LCD monitor, most leave the monitor in the landscape orientation. This may be that they are emulating consoles in addition to MAME and similar arcade emus.

I think that even if you are running an exclusive arcade emu machine, you will find that some of the later games will benefit from the extra real estate that a landscape orientation provides, especially some of the side scrollers and later light gun games.

3) I like the Ultimarc Aimtrak guns but don't know how effective the new IR camera based technology compairs to the old school true "light guns". I remember being able to use the sights and get head shots right and left. My wiimote just can't hold up to that old school tech. It doesn't have the same accuracy and when moved quickly seems to lag behind. Are these Aimtraks dead on acurate? Can they track as fast as I can point and shoot at thoes rotten zombies skulls?

I just finished setting up my AimTrak and I must say the accuracy is incredible. I had a few problems at the start, I'm running on a 50" lcd and trying to shoot 3 meters from the screen but I spoke to Andy and he released a new firmware which solved all my troubles. I can now easily play "Sports Shooting USA" which has to be the most accurate arcade gun games.

I made the sensor bar longer by tapping a Wii sensor bar to the side of the AimTrak, this made the gun near pixel perfect, you can buy a larger sensor bar from http://www.arcadeguns.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=225 but this is probably only required if you are looking to shoot from larger distances like myself.

@RIP-Felix - I took the liberty of merging your two topics since you were basically asking the same question in both threads.

Yea, sorry about that. I thought that I was asking too broad a question in this thread and that thoes who might be using a vertically positioned screen would see the other post easier than sifting through my wall of text in this one. Thanks for the noob check, I will keep that in mind:)

In any case, I'm kind of commited now that the cabinet assembly is essentially done. Total cost so far is about $170. I still need to stain and clear coat the wood (painting would be easier, but I like dark stained wood better). I also need to install the controls, TV, computer, and etc. So there is still aways to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I have a bunch of games (mortal combat, street fighter 3, and Marvel vs. Capcom 1&2) I'm sure work with MAME but wont load because there are missing CHD or rom files. What Gives? Do I need BIOS files, a different version of MAME, or another rom source? Anyone had this issue?

BTW: The cabinet is coming along well. I've finished staining. It came out much browner than the sample wood they had displayed in the store :angry:. However it is not a bad looking stain, so I'll give it a go. I can always paint it black if I hate it. I odered the X-Arcade Tanksticks for 159.99 on special, glad I waited :D! I've installed the back light for the marquee. Need to figure out how to print my marquee transparancy, Kinkos? Next thing to do is mount the LCD and install the Bezel. After that, in goes the computer and then the software portion. Software will probably be the most difficult part. I've never set up a display vertically before, not to mention all the emulators.

Ok, I have a bunch of games (mortal combat, street fighter 3, and Marvel vs. Capcom 1&2) I'm sure work with MAME but wont load because there are missing CHD or rom files. What Gives? Do I need BIOS files, or a different version of MAME? Anyone had this issue?

This may indeed be an issue with your version of MAME. It seems that MAME 0.147 has issues with Mortal Kombat as well as a number of other Midway ROMs. I’m not entirely sure how deep that issue goes, but there may be other affected ROMs as well. Apparently updating to 0.147u2 will fix many of these issues, but I prefer to stick to the full release schedule (even if it means that I’m a few versions behind)

It may also be an issue with your ROMS and/or CHDs. Remember that both your ROMs and your CHDs must match up with the version of MAME you’re running. The issue with CHD versioning can creep up on you since CHDs are not updated very often. Here’s a bit of information on how to verify your CHD files and update them if necessary:

unsupported .chd version please help me

Re: Quick CHD Mame Version question

So glad to hear about the progress on your cab BTW!

What did I get myself into? I thought it would be as simple as oither emulators are - download emulator, obtain rom, fiddle with settings and scream "WORK DAMN YOU" until I decide to google why it isn't, then do as I was supposed to in the first place, and finaly get it working. I've done this and am still having real trouble getting strait forward answers. What is this crap?

CHD files need to be put in their own folders in you main Roms folder.
For example Killer Instinct uses a romfile called kinst.zip and a hard
disk file called kinst.chd. First the rom file need to be put (Still
zipped!) into the main Mame roms folder (Normally C:MameRoms). You then
need to create a new folder in your roms folder called kinst and copy
the kinst.chd (Not zipped!) file into it (C:MameRomskinst).

How do I verify that my roms are complete? What the heck is with the directories file? Do some roms need to be unzipped, whereas most stay zipped? Holy bag of maggots Batman, how far does this rabbit hole go?

Cabinet Update:

The build is mostly finished: The LCD is installed, The bezel artwork is being printed and I will pick it up tomorrow. The Marquee looks nice and the whole thing is taking shape. It has a late 70's feel to it, vintage, but new! The last thing before the assembly is finished it to install the controll panel, whenever it gets here. I haven't calculated the total cost so far but I would estamate it is over $450 at this point. With all the extra stuff I needed that I didn't anticipate, like a hole saw, counter sink drill bit, exacto knife, weather striping, extra acrylic, etc I'm a little suprised I'm still on budgt!

I've done a little more searching and it seems that each release of mame requires that some games be updated to newer rom versions. First of all, how do I know what version I have and what version I need? I have a trusted site I can get roms from but versions are a mixed bag of strange naming conventions like "Pac Man (PR7026) (Mazooma) (Scorpion 4) (set 1)" with sets through 6 and all kinds of other names for each version of the same game. These just seem like giberish to me. Other emulators ushally only have one version for each language and hacks. Anyone know how I can verify that my my roms will work in MAME?

I came across a download for "MAME 0.133 BIOS pack" and also the "Naomi BIOS". The Naomi BIOS are supposed to be required to run Marvel vs capcom or any other sega naomi game. How am I supposed to use these/set them up?

Lastly, in the MAME 0.147 folder there are a bunch of other applications like "ldverify.exe" and "chdman.exe". These seem to be drag and drop apps like unecm.exe for PSX emulators. Is there something I am suposed to be doing with these that I'm not?

Ok, looks like it is a mixed bag of versions and stuff I've not figured out yet. Most of the newer and better games require CHD files that are not included in the file I found, and must be obtained separatly + compatable. Also, I have not figured out how to use them, do I just put it in the rom file with the zip?

Simple GameEx question:

How do I get GameEx to display the whole game name not the abreviated zip file name which I'm not supposed to rename because mame depends on it.

You have to create a .map file with your notepad. Inside that file you have a list of all the games and rom names that looks like this...

romname "Game Name"

ssf2 "Super Street Fighter 2"

then under your emulator profile in the setup wizard, link the file to the map file option

Ok, looks like it is a mixed bag of versiosa and stuff I've not figured out yet. Most of the newer and better games require CHD files that are not included in the file download, and must be downloaded separatly. That is not to hard to find, but they have to be compatable. Also, I have not figured out how to use them, do I just put it in the rom file with the zip?

To use CHD's you need to drop them (each) into their own subfolder within your main MAME roms folder (the one with all the zipped roms). I'll try to give an example that may help explain it better:

For argument's sake lets say all your MAME roms are located in C:\ROMS

Inside this directory you have kinst.zip (the killerinstinct rom) but as you know you also need the CHD. So you create a folder inside this directory with the same name as your rom:

C:\ROMS\kinst

Then drop your CHD into that folder:

C:\ROMS\kinst\kinst.chd

You need to do this for each CHD that your roms require. The CHD must also be unzipped/unpacked/uncompressed as a CHD is already compressed - "Compressed Hard Disk" image. The main roms stay zipped but the CHD's must not be :)

Simple GameEx question:

How do I get GameEx to display the whole game name not the abreviated zip file name which I'm not supposed to rename because mame depends on it.

For this you need the .DAT files for your particular version of mame - there are lots of places to find them and i think GameEx even installs the latest for you. Once you have these files you need to point GameEx to them in MAME config.

When using MAME integration, then the game list is generated by the MAME executable from GameEx. :blink:

Also, I suggest you read the MAME FAQ. Preferably the Setting Up section to better understand about roms, chd's, etc.

You should be very careful with your wording. Speaking of downloads of roms is against forum rules. So please also read forum rules.

• 2 weeks later...

You should be very careful with your wording. Speaking of downloads of roms is against forum rules.

Thanks, I will be more careful from now on.

I been working on the cabinet/other stuff and haven't had a chance to post an update in awhile. The cabinet is finished! Just software to work out now. Thanks about the map file, that works great. You can see the cabinet it in the attached pic.

post-10261-0-38022800-1355339350_thumb.j

post-10261-0-84345800-1355340685_thumb.j

• Like 1

Very nice cab. Very slick, looks like something the wife cant complain about. And those .map files work great for me for sorting out what roms go to what emulators.

Well, I'm not married yet so that conversation will have to wait. I imagine the size and space it takes up is the bigger issue (It's 25.5" W x 29" D x 78" H), not to mention brings a tavern feel to any room you put it in (Recommended for a game room / man cave). I should have gone with a cherry stain, the darker red oak (more like green oak) has a greener base color to it. I like the darkness, just wish the base color/ irredescent color was red. The green tint is what gives it that tavern feel. A lighter stain, or redder one at least, would have broader appeal. Plus stained wood has class, something that cartoony decals on the side lack IMO. Like I said I can always paint it later.

The vertical screen works great with vertical game like 19xx and looks like a regular 19" landscape screen for games like Bubble Bobble (albeit a little small for my liking). The real problem is the video setup. The emu has to support custom resolutions, or nativly support a variety of screens, like MAME which works great. ZSNES worked great after putting in a custom resolution. I will admit that Tecmo Bowl does not work well in this screen orientation, but 32" is large enough to easily see what you are doing and get a kick out of that incessent "hut, hut, hut..." I still have a lot more emus to test, but FCE Ultra doesn't seem to work, nor does GENS. I will need to find alternatives for emus that won't work, if possable. For this reason I don't recommend going the vertically mounted screen route, unless you are willing to sacrifice using some of your gaming collection when you can't find an emu that works.

If I were to do it again, I would make the cabinet smaller, to minimize space, and to showcase a smaller 4:3 screen. I would go with at least a 27" 4:3 screen. Problems I faced when considering that possability was the $500 price tag on a 29" model Arcade CRT and the lack of larger than 20" LCD 4:3 screens, which were just too small to warrant the cabinet build. I already had the 32" so I saved a large chunck of change repurposing it.

All in all, the cabinet makes simple games like NES, Genesis, Gameboy, Atari, MAME and MUGEN more fun, but SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, Dreamcast, and GC Games are better with controllers IMO (except for maybe some fighting games and arcade classic ports).

RANT Warning:

I have finally reached the point where the gaming industry is loosing it's appeal. I don't like the Wii U's controll scheme, I hate the connect and Playstation move, augmented reality sucks, apps with this pay for items crap turns my stomach, and after the novelty of the Wiimote/ nunchuck wore off, I found myself reverting back to the retro scene (hence the cabinet build). I still love video games, but now it's more about nostalgia than cutting edge graphics, which I believe peaked with the N64. After that games started to get too busy and lost their comical disconnect from reality, ushering in the era of lifelike realism that, while raw and viceral, also remove the alure of childish harmlessness. I'm not saying they promote violent decisions, I'm saying it's easier to play off goldeneye 64 as harmless fun than Black Ops 2. And I haven't seen a good platformer in awhile. Used to love mario, but the galaxy series ruined it for me. Even in sunshine I felt that something was going awry, and although it kept me interested all the way, I have yet to replay it. By comparison I can't get enough Mario 64, which It seems like I am always replaying. Maybe that is just nostalga but I think there was a shift from creativity and novelty to greed and capitalism. Fine by me if it didn't just produce good shooters and sports games every year, but also some great new adventures and RPGs. "What sells in america? Violence and sports. What's better that violence and sports? Violent Sports!" I swear that is how some of these game companys think. My favorite new game series now is Ratchet and Clank which still holds on to that comical misthiff and childish harmlessness, but with all the guns and shooter aspects of the modern era creeping in. At least they blend it with what make video games fun, emursive lush enviroments, platforming and puzzels, intense battles, and a fun comical story. I'd like to see more of this and less Just dance 2, 3, 4, and counting. Seriously, what more could you possably add to this series that coulden't be made an expansion and that justifys another $50 purchase? The new Miley Cirus album? Not worth it's weight in vomit.

Sorry if that offends anyone, I'm just venting some frustration.

Can't say I disagree too much with your rant.

RANT REPLY WARNING:

I think that is why most of us are into retrogaming - it takes us back to a simpler place and time when could still walk away from a phone and not have it ring you anytime and anywhere. There was fun to be had at the neighborhood arcade, or at the beach or lake. There was more balance. Reading a newspaper was enjoyable. Information feed was slower and manageable.

• Like 1

All right, back on topic. I am trying to use clrmamepro to verify my rom sets and chds. I have downloaded the newest version of clrmamepro (cmp409a x64) and followed the directions here: http://www.mameworld.info/easyemu/clrmameguide/clrmame-guide.html I used the mame 0.147 datafile from here: http://www.progettosnaps.net/dats_en.html and it ruined all of my roms (I backed them up first). It renamed roms, added some, and removed my chds all together. Afterwards none of them ran, whereas all of them did before. I wanted it ti fix them not break them! It trys to compare them against a rom list and removes unnecessary files, rename files, and identify missing files as needed.

One problem I would like to solve is that it displays all games/variants there are for mame and not just the ones I have. I know I don't have the files for "some game" because I don't have that game. I just want it to report the problems with the games I do have.

Do I need the whole dang collection of rom sets to get this thing to work or what?

BTW: I'm nearly ready to give up on mame. This is way to convoluted a process for a emulator. Is there something I'm missing or is this the same trouble everyone trying to use MAME deals with?

Don't need a whole collection but will need to fix the sets that have errors for those roms to work with that version of MAME. If all your chd's were removed then it could be due to the fact that they are in the old format so they don't match the current one. I'm not aware of your situation.

The good news is that your ROM sets probably aren't permanently damaged. By default ClrMamePro backs up any individual ROMs it removes from your sets. So what we need to do is get those ROMs whipped back into shape. You shouldn't need to use an external DAT file for MAME. CMP will allow you to load up your MAME executable in place of the DAT file. That way you can be sure that you're verifying your ROMs against your exact version of MAME.

I've sent a PM your way with a bit more info.