All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Oh bugger, I broke it!

greatflash

Ok, somehow I have caused a slight mishap with my mame config.

Let me explain.

I had a perfect split 147 set but discovered that gameEx missed several games when using it (tempest being one I noticed). Personally, I prefer a merged set anyway. So,

Using clrmamepro I created a merged set in mame/merged and pointed gameEx to the roms therein. Great, every rom was now visible and all was yummy and super fluffsome.

Then, I removed the original split roms from the rom directory and moved the merged set there. Launched gameEx and did another rom update. But... I forgot to change the rom path back in the mame settings. So, I got no roms.

Here is where I have a problem. After changing the path to point back to /roms, I can no longer update the rom list? In fact, entering into the mame page in gameEx only shows 3 entries,

All mame games,

Another list (forgotten - think it was last played?)

Adult games.

That's it? No option to update and entering any list just returns back to this.

I scanned the jumbled and confused ini looking for a way to update the list again and found nothing. The options relevant are all set to true?

I cannot post the ini as I ran out of time this morning and am typing this from work - I know that I should know better lol, but thought it still worthy of a post because I am sure it is something obvious and perhaps just me not being able to see the wood for the trees.

Any help would be great, even sarcastic ones. ;)

Sadly, I tried that to no avail.

Bloody strange... I will check it out when I get home from work

Ok, thought I would continue with this.

Spoke to Tom who advised me (sorry Tom!) to delete the gamelist.txt file. Doing so reinstated the update list option. Hurrah.

Ok, so, after doing another update on my merged 0.147 set, all almost came up roses. Tempest has appeared this time, but... no clones? (Tempest Tubes for example). These are visible and working in MameUI (147) fine, and yet don't appear in GameEx. Remember me mentioning that when using split sets, Tempest did not even appear? Well, there is an issue somewhere because again, this rom is affected. BTW, the romset is verified 100% by clrmamepro.

I attach the ini file (as I should have originally) along with the gamelist file (which strangely contains Pong?)

Also, there are two images. The first is to show that clones are listed for other games, and the second to illustrate the limited showing for Tempest.

Any help would be wonderful.

Logs.zip

post-3753-0-05294700-1349967987_thumb.pn

post-3753-0-88917100-1349967994_thumb.pn

I’m with you that it seems like the split set is causing as issue with the game list. Have you noticed any other missing games? (Which admittedly, I might as well ask, “Have you noticed any other needles missing from this haystack?”)

Purely as an experiment I’m wondering what happens if you tweak the following settings, to see if you can coax the erstwhile Tempest clones to reappear:

OnlyWorking=True
AllowImperfect=True
VerifyRoms=True
OnlyRoms=True

Obviously running in this capacity would be far from ideal (you’d likely have a bunch of non-working, non-verified ROMs), but it may help to determine exactly where (and why) the Tempest clones are being dropped from the list.

Well, I could try it.

There are quite a few missing in the split roms in 147 as when using the merged set, the number of entries is higher - though, I have no idea what else is missing of course.

I only mention it, as I have never seen this problem before. I wonder if something has changed in 147 (re: Parsing)

ok,

Tried showing everything, including non working and get the same missing roms.

Oh well...

EDIT:

There is certainly something odd... Bringing up just Vector games - they only show latest revisions, but not the earlier clones? (Check Gravitar - it shows the main rom, but none of the other versions?)

post-3753-0-93330900-1349991625_thumb.pn

post-3753-0-82121600-1349991808_thumb.pn

Well,

Try as I might, I have not managed to get to the bottom of this.

Does anyone have a full 147 set and is able to validate this?

ok, so my first settings, only showed one gravitar rom (like your photo)... but I had NoClones=1 in gameex.ini changed it to NoClones=0 and updated the list, and now it shows all clones of gravitar :)

this are my settings:

OnlyWorking=True

AllowImperfect=True

VerifyRoms=True

OnlyRoms=False

NoClones=0

don't know if this will help

You have OnlyRoms set to false, so this should just list everything regardless, which is great, if you have everything. Perhaps thats what I should do?

Thanks for taking the time to try this for me.

You have OnlyRoms set to false, so this should just list everything regardless, which is great, if you have everything. Perhaps thats what I should do?

Thanks for taking the time to try this for me.

I have a full set according to ClrMame :) and I ran all versions of gravitar and they worked ;)

My main issue was that gameex appears to miss games if OnlyGames is true. This means it should show only games in your collection. Set to false, it will list all games that the Mame exe knows (or that is my understanding).

So, if OnlyGames is true, do you find the mentioned Roms are missing as do I? (After an update list).

Actually, it looks like I have this wrong. I will have a bit more of a fiddle tonight.

That is how I have it set now, and everything is ticketty boo..

Thanks.

Well, I went through all options and resided on the 'show everything' approach (seeing the set is full anyway).

If I have just OnlyRoms true, then it shows all the main games (I take it that it works the same as an emulated system rom scan), but still shows some clones.

And somewhere along the line, when OnlyRoms was false and VerifyRoms was true, I was missing some games as mentioned earlier. I wonder if this relates more the that corrupted file than anything else? I am not by the box, but perhaps I should try them settings again and see if all the Tempest clones appear? Still, I was certainly missing Tempest completely at one point and would expect (as this is a master rom, not clone) that it would appear?

The other bit to remember is I was originally using a split set and this was when I noticed the missing roms. Since then I have merged them (which is personally preferable anyway) so doing an exact check is a little tricky now.

Perhaps I will grab the split set again and give it another whirl? Though, I am sure I tried every variation on the options apart from 'showing everything' regardless.