All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[THEME] Noname Theme (WIP)

vsilvalopes

post-4791-0-46566800-1348847259_thumb.pn

Hi guys !

This theme is a concept that I'm thinking of try.

I really like GameEx, but there are some things new things on the interface that I want to try.

Based on the figure bellow, I will try to explain what I want.

post-4791-0-54209700-1348847606_thumb.pn

Area 1 : Free Space

I don't know what I'm going to do with this free space.

I'm thinking about putting the game box on this area. But I'm not sure yet.

Area 2 : A much clear Gamelist.

No menu, No Text1 and Text2 fields.

For me it only uses more space on the screen, because the Text 1 show the selected game.

Which is already in focus, so we lose some space to display the same information.

So, NO MENU, NO TEXT 1 & TEXT 2.

Just the game list, pure and simple.

Area 3 : The clock and the date.

They are just an small part of GameEx ui. So, I don't want to give to then much attention.

Clear font, no focus and in the corner. Just this.

Area 4 : In game screenshot/video

We don't spend too much time taking a look at the in game video.

Only if we want to try, see games that we don't know.

So here, no need to much focus. Just an small preview of the game

Area 5 : Game Description.

This is one of the things that GameEx have, and I didn't think about using it until today.

I really like to use it,

But the question is, This field can be persistent? We can use a diferent font size?

Area 6 : Console Art.

Another thing that I'm not sure to be using.

It's because is pretty hard to find good quality images to all consoles and arcades.

So for now it's just a test.

Guys, please, let me know what you think of my ideas.

I came to this because I kind studied how I use GameEx.

And my primary focus is on the GameList, so the less things on the screen, better is my usability.

One thing that I really want is one key navigation.

I asked for it on the requests. I will ilustrate this here too.

This is something that we have on Rockband games.

You press a button (keep pressed) and a Windows pops on the screen allowing you to choose a letter.

After this letter is chosen, the list jumps to the first game with this letter on the Game List.

Like this

post-4791-0-59243300-1348848424_thumb.pn

So, see what you guys think of my ideas.

I really like to talk about it ! :D

• Like 3

I gotta echo Draco’s sentiments on this theme vsilvalopes. One of the things I really like about your themes is that you approach the design with a minimalist’s eye. A less is more approach. Utilitarian but with style. I don’t know that I can provide much feedback on your comments (I’m no theme wizard), but I’m definitely looking forward to seeing the progress.

Hi guys !

Thanks for the reports!

The sad part is, after a test, I cannot have diferent font sizes on the Theme Editor / GameEx.

That said, I cannot do the Area 5 of the theme, because to achieve that visual, I need to have diferent font sizes.

I'm still working on this, but I really want to see the requests that I asked fullfilled by Tom.

Those are just estetic ones, but they can help to unleash more of the GameEx ui.

Draco, if you can give my requests a boost , here are they :

http://www.gameex.info/forums/topic/10189-feature-enhancement-requests/page__st__420#entry93812

http://www.gameex.info/forums/topic/10189-feature-enhancement-requests/page__st__420#entry93957

Thanks for the feedback !

Will do and have actually requested that myself. What font are you using, by the way? I have found that the Segoe UI font seems to be very versatile - and what MS is using in its Windows 8 Metro UI and Xbox 360 Dashboard.

What font are you using, by the way?

It's the same Roboto font, from the other two themes.

I'm probably not going to use this one for the final version.

But It was the only "Thin" font that I have.

Also, I always do "the TV test" to see if a choosen font has a good TV visibility.

Will do and have actually requested that myself

Ohh ! That's good news ! This will help to improve a lot of themes!

I have found that the Segoe UI font seems to be very versatile

I like this one too!

The first mockup of MetroEx I was using this one.

• 2 months later...

just a bump because i too have longed for a simple and aesthetic theme for gameex. i'm always surprised at how gaga every gets about the visuals in hyperspin - my preference is quiet functional simplicity. i actually tried to make my own simple skin once and totally gave up. i really hope the skinning engine becomes more powerful and you succeed because i for one will definitely use it!

i also made some mockups based off vsilvalopes' excellent design just to demonstrate some ideas for the future in case anyone is interested. this isn't currently possible, but maybe one day! :)

basically, this hides the option menu when viewing the list until the user activates it by pressing to the left. the art has rounded corners and a shadow glow. the limits of the list fade away giving a subtle clean indicator that there is more content above and below. when a game is selected, each line of the menu is some sort of real item (not a label, blank line, or descriptive text). just some food for thought!

concept%20-%20highlighted%20game.pngconcept%20-%20options.pngconcept%20-%20selected%20game.png

• Like 1

Hi cracksloth!

I am really interested on it!

I really liked your approach on the theme, and I think that with some tricks on the theme editor we can reach it.

On this week I'm getting a new PC with an Full HD display and it will be easier to do a new theme, and I'm really looking foward to it!

So thanks for your vision! Let's stay in touch!

More on the new theme!

I've made some concepts for it.

The main idea is, that for a good layout, I will need to use diferent layouts for home AND for the lists (emulators and media).

So I started with this :

post-4791-0-40524800-1355263286_thumb.pn

But I felt that I left so many empty spaces, speacially between the game list and the snap/name and description.

(I really liked the idea to use the description field !)

So, I did this

post-4791-0-14262800-1355263383_thumb.pn

On this one, I changed the emulator title font, to a more bold one, I really liked the result, plus I added the "Stars" for the game rating, matching the theme colors.

Even with that, I was not satisfied with the menu position and the emulator.

So I changed it again !

post-4791-0-45058700-1355263493_thumb.pn

And this one is probably going to be the final layout of the list.

I'm not sure yeat about the white background, but this can be easily changed.

Guys, please let me know what you think about the white background, I didn't did my TV test with this theme yet.

Now with the menu bar on the top, and on the left, I felt that the game list has the focus that I need.

You see the emulator (system name) and bellow the game list.

On the other side, the game snap, name and information.

Again, no Clock, Date and list number.

Finally, I started the home layout.

It pretty much the same of the emulator list.

But the main list is in the middle of the screen.

I don't know what symbols or art I'm going to use to represent the main categories of GameEx.

If you have any sugestion, please let me know.

So, here's the home layout :

post-4791-0-47410500-1355263786_thumb.pn

I'm thinking about one color only icons, I will see how to do this.

So that's it guys, please let me know what you think.

I'm really looking foward to do this one !

• Like 2

@cracksloth,

Nice, Kinda reminds me of GameBrowser, if you feel confident enough you might aswell create a theme similar to what you showcased above, as i'm sure it will be appreciated around here :)

@vsilvalopes

Keeping my eye open on the progress of this theme ;)

@vsilvalopes:
thanks but keep in mind this is just a mockup that seems currently impossible. skinning is pretty limited in gameex (although i would love to be proven wrong) and some choices made early on regarding the menu system seem weird to me (such as scrolling through lables and each line of a description as if it were a nonfunctional item, requiring the display of all navigational elements at all times, lack of true layering, blah blah). anyway, it's been awhile since i tried skinning gameex and i"m sure there have been quite a few enhancements since then. i just remember trying to create a skin and it being so inexplicably buggy that i gave up. i really think gameex would benefit from catering to a few more artists. as it stands, it is just a hard thing to skin if you love design.

@KRC:
yeah, honestly i've been playing around with other options like GameBrowser and XBMC plugins. it's all a give and take in terms of features but having just revisited gameex, i must admit that i don't even understand how mame works in the settings with the interplay of advance mame, model 2, zinc, daphne, etc - is it one combined list of games, are you setting up multiple, how do you arrange your roms accordingly... it just isn't intuitive and i'm not exactly new to this. i think i'm out on doing anything but keep an eye on vsilvalopes - i think he's your one.

@Cracksloth - Sounds like you have some concerns regarding the ability to skin GameEx. You may want to start a thread regarding in the General forum so that I and others can attempt to help you if you are so inclined to create your own theme. Same for any issues you may have regarding MAME and other emulator setups. I just want to help keep this thread focused on visilvalopes's project. Thanks!

Guys ! Guys ! :D

I need feedback ! Please tell me what you liked or don't liked on the theme !

I'm looking foward to build a theme based on the community feedback.

I've made a little test this morning using the theme on GameEx and I liked the results.

I just don't have any screenshoots yet.

But the layouts Worked pretty well.

I like what I see very much! I imagine that the white background will brighten the room up quite a bit! The font chosen is easy to read at the "10 foot interface" level so a good choice.

When speaking of icons, do you mean the logos? Or a logo image for each system's page?

I like what I see very much! I imagine that the white background will brighten the room up quite a bit!

Yes, I'm wondering about it.

I think that I will be using some sort of grey on it.

But I have to test it on TV before the change.

When speaking of icons, do you mean the logos? Or a logo image for each system's page?

Sorry ! The logos !

I'm thinking to use some stylezed images, for example, use the Super Nes logo, and an stylezed image of an Snes console.

Throw some examples up here and let's see! To be honest, in the two themes I am working on, I am not creating separate background images for each system and, instead, I am relying upon the "emubak.png" for that purpose. As I see it, the Title text and logo is sufficient to identify the system while keeping the theme as simple as possible.