All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

GameEx 5.70 - Released - Big Update

Tom Speirs

18th February 2006
- GameEx 5.70 - Huge Update

• I've been busy on GameEx and
    am pleased to release this version. It skips a few
    versions to show its of substantial improvement.
    I'm going to list the enhancements by what they
    relate to in GameEx, and then list the fixes at
    the end:

• Enhancements:
    • Themes/Theme Editor:
      • Thanks to Ben AKA
        HeadKaze, GameEx now has an awesome theme
        editor.
      • It's really a
        fantastic enhancement to GameEx, and is beautifully
        coded.
      • You must check it
        out, its highly substantial so I want list
        all the features but will just say what is
        not implemented just yet: Font Colour
        can't be changed just yet, Custom Emu
        backgrounds, and custom control panel will
        be coming soon. The editor only works with
        V2 themes (templates included in the
        install,) and currently these are fixed to
        full screen usage only. There maybe a few
        minor issues with all this, so if you find
        any please report on the forum.

[*]MAME:

• New lists for
        Horizontal and Vertical games

[*]Control/Input:

• There is an option to
        use all and any attached Game device at
        the same time rather than just the first
        device or chosen one.
      • There's
        a shortcut control to show the game
        information page, so you can add to favourites
        etc if you turned this off

[*]Emulators:

• Database support.
        GameEx now has database support for
        emulators, allowing you to navigate and
        show games much like you do for MAME. You
        can navigate by name, manufacturer,
        category, and year, and descriptions are
        shown for the games. Thanks to Craig
        Steinbeck there's an already an N64
        database done, which is included with the
        install. Huge thanks Craig, without you
        this would've been months off.
      • Theres an option for
        each emulator to run as a single PC Game.
        So if you have an emulator setup just as
        one game, say you have special control
        mappings for it, you can have GameEx skip
        displaying the list and just have gameex
        launch the first/only game.

[*]Jukebox:

• Added FLAC support
      • There's now a CD
        Player with automatic CDDB internet
        lookup.
      • For registered users
        GameEx now has a one click CD Ripper.
        Simply insert a CD, Rip with full tag
        support, and automatically add it your
        library and play - without dropping back
        to windows.
      • There a small graphic
        equalizer that displays when a track is
        playing, either on the taskbar, or if the
        track is currently visible in the showing
        list, next to the track name.
      • New: Playlist. You
        can now view and navigate the current
        Jukebox play list.

[*]Display:

• There's an additional
        even bigger font size setting.
      • Please Wait animation
        is more slick, and only displays if
        waiting more than a second. There's also
        new graphics for this for the other non
        MCE style included themes so it blends in
        nicely.

[*]Fixes

• MNG videos no longer
      flicker.
    • Fixes configuration
      application truncating removed games.
    • Fixes custom emulator
      background video back bug.
    • Screensaver videos not
      playing
    • Various other fixes.

http://gameex.net

NICE!

I'm gonna start making some themes now that I will actually submit!

Does the CD player support CD Text? I don't know of ANY software player that actually does this, but it would be nice for users that have a computer without internet connection for gaming/jukebox purposes.

Emph

To Wrench and Protecteur.

Browse to your Theme folder in GameEx. There will be a new set of layouts at varying resolutions. All with V2 in the title. Open one of these and you are ready to start creating. :)

J.

Fantastic release Tom. I have one question. Can we make our own Database files or will more be released with upcoming versions of GameEx. The theme editor is also excellent. A Great piece of work Headkaze. :D:D:D

For some reason the CP Editor graphics are not in this release. Although it's not supported in GameEx yet, I thought it would be nice to get some feedback, as well as let you all start designing your CP's.

Place the following directory (CONTROLPANEL) into GameEx\THEMES\

CONTROLPANEL.zip

P.S You can change the colour of buttons by selecting one and selecting Edit->Copy (or pressing CTRL-C) then select another buttons and select Edit->Paste (or CTRL-V). If your buttons are still different colours you can use the Object->Adjust Colour function. Once you have the colour your like you can copy and paste them as you need.

For some reason the CP Editor graphics are not in this release. Although it's not supported in GameEx yet, I thought it would be nice to get some feedback, as well as let you all start designing your CP's.

Place the following directory (CONTROLPANEL) into GameEx\THEMES\

CONTROLPANEL.zip

P.S You can change the colour of buttons by selecting one and selecting Edit->Copy (or pressing CTRL-C) then select another buttons and select Edit->Paste (or CTRL-V). If your buttons are still different colours you can use the Object->Adjust Colour function. Once you have the colour your like you can copy and paste them as you need.

Sorry about that, my bad, Ill include it in the next release.

Can not wait to try the new release Tom! (out of town at the moment)

Can we make our own Database files or will more be released with upcoming versions of GameEx.

howdy jedah, the N64 database I created by hand using a few different sources. It was possible because there are only about ~300 US games.

For other systems such as SNES and NES it will be a bit hard due to the massive amount of games and quality of info on these older systems. For example the nintendo.com site has all but nothing for SNES (~30 or so) and NES (~3 or so). Thus I am looking elsewhere to get the info. If anyone knows of a good site with information on all the games for a particular system let me know.

Future databases may take a group effort of gathering the data.

GBA Release list is available at http://releases.pocketheaven.com/. Is there any way to convert CLRMamePro and ROMCentre dat files to this format?

I opened the .dat files in Notepad and there does not seem to be anymore useful info in there but file/rom names and developer (unless I am reading it wrong). That information for a database would not really give much sorting options. Specifically for the N64 database the following items were used:

Name Category Date Developer # of Players Description

Getting the game names are easy its the other stuff that takes awhile ;)

mrroboto, thanks for the great idea with using the wiki as a data source. I thought of a complex script that would leech all the data, but I didnt feel like starting it at all tonight.

But I did spend 15 minutes editing the front page of the SNES and parsing out the entire file the way I needed it to be. So I created a SNES database.

Tom, can you test this in debug mode and tell my why it only shows the first record in each category? Currently it shows only one entry for date of 1991 as well as one manufacturer. Let me know what could be wrong with the DB.

Currently I am missing description, players, and genre I think. And the rest are pretty good. Maybe we can make it a collaborative effort for people to help get the rest of the data.

My theoretical script would go directly to the edit link of each individual game and then parse out certain information that I want. But linking it record by record seems like a difficult task because many pages dont have links yet created on the wiki.

Please test this out. This db originally put gameex in an infinite loop because one of my datatypes was off.

Not bad for 30 minutes of work. I can do the same for other systems too! Let me know guys. We should sticky a section or just put all our databases in the config sticky. Or maybe once a database is solid, Tom can include it in the standard build.

SNES.zip

mrroboto, thanks for the great idea with using the wiki as a data source.  I thought of a complex script that would leech all the data, but I didnt feel like starting it at all tonight.

But I did spend 15 minutes editing the front page of the SNES and parsing out the entire file the way I needed it to be.  So I created a SNES database.

Tom, can you test this in debug mode and tell my why it only shows the first record in each category?  Currently it shows only one entry for date of 1991 as well as one manufacturer.  Let me know what could be wrong with the DB.

Currently I am missing description, players, and genre I think.  And the rest are pretty good.  Maybe we can make it a collaborative effort for people to help get the rest of the data.

My theoretical script would go directly to the edit link of each individual game and then parse out certain information that I want.  But linking it record by record seems like a difficult task because many pages dont have links yet created on the wiki.

Please test this out.  This db originally put gameex in an infinite loop because one of my datatypes was off.

Not bad for 30 minutes of work.  I can do the same for other systems too!  Let me know guys.  We should sticky a section or just put all our databases in the config sticky.  Or maybe once a database is solid, Tom can include it in the standard build.

Many thanks for this and your other contirubitions. I will add a sticky for databases. Sorry you've not had much interest in your other contribs. To be honest I dont think peeps fully understand what they do perhaps some easier explanation would help

Cheers.

Tom