All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Batch file for app local game Vanguard Princess

drunkenpirateking

Hey, whats up? The noob questions continue!

I'm trying to run a game called Vanguard Princess through a batch file. The game has to be run through AppLocal because it's a japanese game, and I can run the game through applocal just fine. I've also created a shortcut for the whole process, so I can just double click the shortcut and the game loads. But I'm trying to run the game through a batch file and I can't get it to work. Right now my batch is this

@ECHO OFF

start "" "F:\Games\Shortcuts\Vanguard Princess.lnk"

for the shortcut

and

@ECHO OFF

start "" "C:\Windows\AppPatch\AppLoc.exe" "F:\PC Installers\vanpri107c\New folder\ヴァンガードプリンセス\Vanguard.exe" "/L0411"

for just trying to run it through Applocal. I've been at this for a few hours, I have it saving in Unicode instead of Ansi, but before I go changing the japanese out for english (if that's even the problem?), I figured I'd ask people who are way smarter than me...which is you guys. So yeah...what am I doing wrong?

By the way, this game is awesome, especially for being a one man team and I highly recommend it.

I would guess that the program is hard-coded to look for the Japanese name. Not sure how to go about a workaround on this. I would imagine that you are not the first to encounter. Have you searched to see if someone may have created a loader for these (similar to the TypeX games)?

EDIT: Did you see this about an English locale version?

Edited by Draco1962
Additional Info

I would second a suggestion to check out the English version, if that’s possible in your case.

However, it sounds like you have a number of similar games so it may not be possible to fins English language versions for everything. I was looking into your issue when I stumbled across this tutorial. About halfway down it mentions a program called ConvertZ, which sounds like it may be a promising lead.

One thing (AppLocale) cannot fix this way is (the) filename (avoid doing that, (the) program may not run if the path has foreign characters) and media data. (For) the later you can use something like ConvertZ.

I checked out ConvertZ, and indeed it looks like something that may help you out with this situation,

You will be able to perform the conversion from plain text, HTML files or content stored in the clipboard. It is possible to perform batch conversions, preview the conversions before applying them, auto-update the charset in HTML meta tags and auto-fix mis-mapped Big5/GBK characters.

I've never used it (or AppLocale for that matter), but it certainly sounds like it could be worth checking out.

Idea alert!

If you have made shortcuts that work alreaty. Program Gameex the followig way

Put all your shortcuts in one folder.

Make that folder your Rom and working directory

Make your romfilter *.LNK

make your command be "[romfile]"

This way gameex is listing and launching your shortcuts just as you would doubleclick them.

*kachow*