All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Exit different programs with AutoHotKey?

drunkenpirateking

Ok, here's my dilemma and here's what I'm thinking. I may be going about this all wrong, but bear with me.

When I turn my computer on, GameEX loads. Then, if I want to watch a movie, I launch XBMC from inside GameEX. I have XBMC set to use VLC as my media player. This also happens with music apps, xbmc apps, etc etc, not just vlc. And all of that works, but I'm having a hard time getting out of everything.

If I want to stop my movie half way through, I've got to use my mouse, which I'm really trying to stop. I want all of this to be controlled from just my xbox controller. At worst, I could map it to say the esc. key or something similar and get a cheap remote control (which I may end up doing anyway) and be able to get out of stuff that way.

So my question is, is there a way to map something along the lines of a task kill autohotkey (I think that's what I'm looking for) to a button on my controller. IE If I hit 6 definable buttons at once, it closes whatever the current program is that's in focus. This would be extremely helpful in a myriad of ways, so any help or info on which direction I should be looking in would be very helpful. Thank you in advance

I'm doing something similar in my current HTPC build though I'm going the opposite way, I boot into XBMC but have a 'Games' item in my main menu which runs GameEx.

You may want to look at Xpadder. It will allow you to map any key to your joypad button using 'Set selector'

You could map the buttons on your controller to the keyboard shortcuts in XBMC.

I have it set that if I hold Select and press Start on my Xbox 360 controller it will send Alt+F4 to close the current active window

Another option is to set XBMC up to detect and use the Xbox controller using the keymap.xml haven't tried this myself yet but it's on my todo list

I use the Nyxboard remote for XBMC and keyboard. It's a bit pricier than other remotes but its a nice compact size and the latest XBMC has built in support for it e.g. when you flip it over to the keyboard side XBMC pops up the serach dialog box.

It also past the wife test so it gets a double thumbs up from me

• Like 1

Thanks for the idea, PimpDaddyStu. I'm going to play with this today and see if I can't get it to work.

That remote looks slick and I'm pretty sure I'm going to order one today. Those assignable keys on the one side would be perfect for this whole exit thing I'm working on, I can't help but thinking...

I gotta figure this out.