All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Steam Wrappers

Stu1983

I theory all these wrapper will be bundle with GameEx so not sure if there's any reason for people to be downloading them manually?

Maybe I'm missing something though?

I see no reason to have a wrapper for a game that a user doesn't have, and thus increasing the installer file size... I would have no problem though, if you and Tome decided to bundle everything in GameEx installer...

Apart from that, for the second time I would say thanks for all your effort and works, null and stu!!! The steam integration you made possible is an awesome feature!!!

It was actually Tom's idea, they are already being bundled with the current installers, he says they compress really well. I doubt we're going to need all that many wrappers. Most games start fine, out of just over 110 games tested we've only needed to create 18 wrappers.

It's an optional download when running the installer, just like the databases (which are much much bigger), so if you don't have Steam then don't tick the boxes.

It may seem strange to have wrappers for games you don't have but you also have databases for system you may never use?

• Like 1

It may seem strange to have wrappers for games you don't have but you also have databases for system you may never use?

Well... this is a very good argument. And if they are only few and so small in size, and if the download is optional... everything is good.

Here's something to watch out for...

I tested a Call of Duty 1 the other night and it launched straight in the game so I thought it didn't need a wrapper. This was on my none GameEx system which was logged into Steam at the time.

Last night I tried to play the same game but this time through GameEx but I was presented with the following:

post-1567-0-09065600-1347023213_thumb.jp

So after a bit of investigating, it would appear that different things can happen depending on whether you are logged into Steam before starting game or not.

If my system is already logged into Steam then I don't get that launcher but if I start the game without being logged in it appears.

It's not big deal I've now created a wrapper for it, it's just something to be aware of as it also happened with Call of Duty 2 and Far Cry

2620 - Call Of Duty wrapper added to the FTP

nullPointer - Take a look at this AHK, I think it's a bit neater using variables at the top, most of these scripts are just copy and paste and change the window title so using this as a template will be handier

Well... this is a very good argument. And if they are only few and so small in size, and if the download is optional... everything is good.

It probably is something to keep an eye on, currently there are over 1500 titles on Steam. If we're saying 20% of these will need a wrapper, that's theoretically 300 wrappers, they are between 200kb and 1200kb uncompressed. Even if we allow 500kb, we are talking an extra 150mb of disk space for a GameEx install

Personally that still doesn't bother me as if I'm using Steam I'll be running on a large enough hard drive anyway and if I'm not I'll just not download the wrappers.

Also... unless someone is going to be very, very nice and treat me, we'll never test anywhere near the whole Steam library :)

I was not aware that all the wrappers were being sent during updates. Am I correct in assuming that as new wrappers are introduced that they will be included in the subsequent version update cycle? Also, it might not be a bad idea to have the wrappers separately available in the event that there is a lengthy interval between updates to minimize user issues. Just my 2 centavos.

I've been thinking the same thing Draco. I'm wondering whether it would be possible to add an option within the Setup Wizard to 'Refresh Steam Configs' or something similar. That way we're not limiting the availability of new wrappers and configs strictly to Elite members.

• 2 weeks later...

Any wrappers on tap for World of Goo (id 22000)? Have noticed a few issues with it , such as it doesn't like dual screens and will cause both screens to cycle back and forth and change resolution repeatedly. If I run it in windowed mode, I cannot make it fill the screen within a window, so it appears as a smaller window in the middle of the monitor. A little annoying to say the least.

Any wrappers on tap for World of Goo (id 22000)? Have noticed a few issues with it , such as it doesn't like dual screens and will cause both screens to cycle back and forth and change resolution repeatedly. If I run it in windowed mode, I cannot make it fill the screen within a window, so it appears as a smaller window in the middle of the monitor. A little annoying to say the least.

I don't see any way for a wrapper to fix this issue as it is a problem with the game.

Take a look at the config.txt in Steam\steamapps\common\World of Goo\properties

You can set the screen resolution so when you run in a window it will fill the screen.

There are lots of posts online about this issue but it would seem it isn't going to get fixed anytime soon

Would it be possible here to ask for a couple of wrappers on demand? I don't want to be an hassle, just asking... Or at least I would like to know if it is possible to do it with AHK... I could try it for myself...

I want to have a wrapper for Max Payne 1 (id 201330) and Max Payne 2 (id 12150)... those games have a launcher... I would, if possible, hide the launcher screen and automatically (and invisibly) press the "Play" button, so that I can go directly to the game...

Hi all.

Well i never made any Wrappers before but thanks to AutoHotKey and the recorder, i found it pretty easy

Well i made 3 today, as these 3 games are the only ones i got ATM that did not have a wrapper and which they needed one

So i thought i would share them here: (feel free to edit them, if you can tweak them better, but they do work for me)

57650 - DUNGEONS - Steam Special Edition.rar

70650 - Worms Blast.rar

209790 - Splice.rar

P.s Tom, feel free to add them to the installer

• Like 3

Would it be possible here to ask for a couple of wrappers on demand? I don't want to be an hassle, just asking... Or at least I would like to know if it is possible to do it with AHK... I could try it for myself...

I want to have a wrapper for Max Payne 1 (id 201330) and Max Payne 2 (id 12150)... those games have a launcher... I would, if possible, hide the launcher screen and automatically (and invisibly) press the "Play" button, so that I can go directly to the game...

I have both of these games, though not installed, I'll install them and see if I can get something created in the next day or 2

• Like 1

Hi all.

Well i never made any Wrappers before but thanks to AutoHotKey and the recorder, i found it pretty easy

Well i made 3 today, as these 3 games are the only ones i got ATM that did not have a wrapper and which they needed one

So i thought i would share them here: (feel free to edit them, if you can tweak them better, but they do work for me)

57650 - DUNGEONS - Steam Special Edition.rar

70650 - Worms Blast.rar

209790 - Splice.rar

P.s Tom, feel free to add them to the installer

Awesome thanks for the contribution Orlin! I'll go ahead and upload these to the FTP repository as well.

• Like 2

I've uploaded 2 wrappers, not sure if these will download automatically or if Tom has to manually add them from the FTP

12140 - Max Payne
12150 - Max Payne 2

where did you get id 201330 for Max Payne? Mine is showing 12140

I couldn't get the hiding to work as the window would still appear then hide, so it's no better than the window appearing then clicking play and the window closes anyway

I'll attach them here in case they don't get added to the installer automatically

12140 - Max Payne.rar

12150 - Max Payne 2.rar

• Like 3

I've uploaded 2 wrappers, not sure if these will download automatically or if Tom has to manually add them from the FTP

12140 - Max Payne
12150 - Max Payne 2

where did you get id 201330 for Max Payne? Mine is showing 12140

I couldn't get the hiding to work as the window would still appear then hide, so it's no better than the window appearing then clicking play and the window closes anyway

I'll attach them here in case they don't get added to the installer automatically

Thank you so much stu!

Checking them now...

EDIT: I followed this link: http://store.steampo...com/app/201330/ for Max Payne ID.