All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Steam Wrappers

Stu1983

I thought I would get the ball rolling early and create a place for us to share wrappers for the upcoming Steam integration feature.

These should go in:

GameEx\MEDIA\STEAM\WRAPPERS

I'll start with my Zombie Driver wrapper

Update - I've attached some more that I created tonight

12210 - Grand Thef Auto IV.rar

19030 - Rocket Knight.rar

21660 - Street Figther IV.rar

31410 - Zombie Driver.rar

35700 - Trine.rar

35720 - Trine 2.rar

50510 - Burn Zombie Burn.rar

50820 - Magic Marker.rar

55230 - Saints Row The Third.rar

57800 - Doc Clock The Toasted Sandwich of Time.rar

65800- DungeonDefenders.rar

70600 - Worms Ultimate Mayhem.rar

105430 - Age of Empires Online.rar

• Like 4

Great job getting the ball rolling on this one Stu! I’m pretty excited about the Steam Integration. I’m also planning on writing up some wrappers for my Steam games (although I’ll be using AHK, not that it matters much). It’s been a while since I written any scripts with AHK, but these scripts probably won’t be terribly complex. Let me know if you’d like to coordinate efforts for a two pronged attack. :D

Great job getting the ball rolling on this one Stu! I’m pretty excited about the Steam Integration. I’m also planning on writing up some wrappers for my Steam games (although I’ll be using AHK, not that it matters much). It’s been a while since I written any scripts with AHK, but these scripts probably won’t be terribly complex. Let me know if you’d like to coordinate efforts for a two pronged attack. :D

I have near 300 Steam games (I'm a sucker for their sales)

I've went through all the games that I have currently installed tonight and checked it they need a wrapper or not out of 76 tested only 14 required a wrapper, I've created 13 wrappers (posted in the first message)

I skipped "From Dust" as it's a bit of a pain in the ass, it launches a crappy 'uplay' app. It could probably be created but I doubt I'll ever want to add this game to GameEx so I couldn't be bothered fighting with it.

I've checked the following games

A.R.E.S.
AaAaAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity
Age of Empires Online
Aliens vs. Predator
Atom Zombie Smasher
Batman: Arkham City
Battlestations: Midway
Battlestations: Pacific
Bionic Commando Rearmed
BIT.TRIP BEAT
BIT.TRIP RUNNER
Bunch Of Heroes
Burn Zombie Burn
Call of Duty
Call of Duty 2
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Cities XL - Limited Edition
Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3
Crysis
Crysis 2
Darksiders
Dead Rising 2
DEFCON
Defense Grid: The Awakening
Demolition, Inc.
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Devil May Cry 4
DiRT 3
Dungeon Defenders
F.E.A.R. 3
F1 2011
Flight Control HD
From Dust
Grand Theft Auto
Grand Theft Auto IV
Gratuitous Tank Battles
Half-Life
Half-Life 2
Jamestown
Kane & Lynch: Dead Men
Left 4 Dead 2
LEGO Batman: The Videogame
LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures
Lego Star Wars Saga
LIMBO
Max and the Magic Marker
NightSky
Orcs Must Die!
OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
Renegade Ops
Revenge of the Titans
Rock of Ages
Rocket Knight
Saints Row: The Third
Shank
Shift 2 Unleashed
Sonic and SEGA All Stars Racing
Sonic Generations
Street Fighter IV
Super Meat Boy
Team Fortress 2
Terraria
Tower Wars
Toy Soldiers
TrackMania United
Trine
Trine 2
Unstoppable Gorg
Virtua Tennis 4
VVVVVV
Wasteland Angel
Worms Reloaded
Worms Ultimate Mayhem
Zeit²
Zombie Driver

I didn't check them through GameEx, I just launched them in windows to make sure they went in game

I have near 300 Steam games (I'm a sucker for their sales)

I've went through all the games that I have currently installed tonight and checked it they need a wrapper or not out of 76 tested only 14 required a wrapper, I've created 13 wrappers (posted in the first message)

I skipped "From Dust" as it's a bit of a pain in the ass, it launches a crappy 'uplay' app. It could probably be created but I doubt I'll ever want to add this game to GameEx so I couldn't be bothered fighting with it.

Yeah I'm also a real sucker for their sales. I've got way more in my account than I actually have installed. Here's what I currently have installed (minus any overlap from what you've listed above):

Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY Edition
Ben There, Dan That!
Breath of Death VII
Burnout Paradise The Ultimate Box
Cthulhu Saves the World
Deus Ex Game of the Year Edition
Grand Theft Auto 2
Grand Theft Auto Episodes from Liberty City
Grand Theft Auto III
Grand Theft Auto IV
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
Grand Theft Auto Vice City
Half-Life 2 Episode One
Half-Life 2 Episode Two
Half-Life 2 Lost Coast
Half-Life Source
Mafia
Mass Effect
Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Portal
Star Wars - Jedi Knight II Jedi Outcast
Star Wars - Jedi Knight Mysteries of the Sith
Star Wars Dark Forces
Star Wars Jedi Knight Dark Forces II
Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy
The Binding Of Isaac
The Elder Scrolls III Morrowind
The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom
The Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition
Time Gentlemen, Please!

I'll start checking some of these tonight. Hey just out of curiousity, what's your test method to determine the necessity of a wrapper? I'd imagine it's something like this:

• Does game have a loader or additional login process?
  • Does game fail to launch the GameOverlayUI process when it starts?

If the answer to either question is yes, the game requires a wrapper. Does that sound about right? Any other 'gotchas' that need to be accounted for?

I'm afraid I only got 2 done tonight, LOL. :) Between refreshing my memory with AHK, and IRL stuff happening, I didn't get a chance to do any more (excuses, excuses). Hats off to PimpDaddyStu for his great scripts! I probably wouldn't have even gotten this far without your great examples Stu!

The following wrappers have now been moved to the Shared FTP server:

• 35140 - Batman Arkham Asylum Game of the Year Edition
  • 57300 - Amnesia The Dark Descent

I'll start checking some of these tonight. Hey just out of curiousity, what's your test method to determine the necessity of a wrapper? I'd imagine it's something like this:

• Does game have a loader or additional login process?
  • Does game fail to launch the GameOverlayUI process when it starts?

If the answer to either question is yes, the game requires a wrapper. Does that sound about right? Any other 'gotchas' that need to be accounted for?

I haven't actually checked the GameOverlayUi side of things at all yet. I was waiting to see if Tom would change the ini side of things to indivual INI's, I see he has now, so I will try and recheck these games tonight.

As Tom said the GameOverlayUi problem doesn't require a wrapper so I just check that the game loads, full screen without any keys or mouse clicks.

Could I ask that you put these on the new shared FTP I have setup? Preferably not compressed. It will be easier for us to share configs and wrappers on the FTP. it will also make it easier for me to update ones included with GameEx. See the Elite Forum for the FTP details. Cheers.

No problem

Before we create too many of these is it worth rethinking the naming?

I think the AppID is definitely essential but it makes it quite pain to work out which loader is for which game e.g. you have to jump back to steam create a desktop shortcut and find the ID from the url.

My only alternative suggestion is to use a name similar how we've been naming the zip files 'AppID - Game name'

Tom, would it be much effort for you ignore everything after the first '-' in the file name and still do a match?

Any other suggestions?

Stu

Hey nullPointer, I hope you don't mind but I recompiled your scripts and my own.

I noticed that the 2 you made weere only 800kb but mine were 1200kb

So I thought I must grab the lastest AHK and recompile my own, I done this and mine recompiled to 200kb so done yours as well

Looks like we both need to update our AHK version on our dev PC :)

I've put them back on the FTP

• Like 1

I’m still smiling from ear to ear about that new FTP server! I’ll be sure to upload any new wrappers to the FTP.

Thanks for recompiling everything Stu! Yeah, I haven’t checked for a new version of AHK vfor quite a while. Hey just out of curiousity are you running with AutoHotKey (official) or AutoHotKey_L? I’m currently using AHK_L, but I’m not particularly tied to that version. Let me know, and I’ll update and/or switch versions.

Confession time: After I saw you were using AutoIt, I decided to check it out. AutoIt is awesome! I like that it offers more sophisticated tools than those offered with/by AutoHotKey. Any hoo, lesson learned. For the purposes of this project I think we should probably stay the course with AHK, but I think I may have just found my new automation scripting language for future projects. :)

I generally use AHK, I just like the more advanced WindowInfo tool that AutoIt has. I decided to give it a go for making the wrapper yesterday and thought it was pretty good. I actually had the same thought as you, couldn't see any reason to use AHK over AutoIt but then I failed miserably trying to get it to do a simple thing like remap a keyboard key

So back to AHK for me :) The AutoIt WindowInfo tool still is much better but the information it provides works with AHK anyway so I use AutoIt's info tool but script in AHK

I hadn't heard of AHK_L until you mentioned it. Does it offer much more than AHK?

I really don't think it matters what we use, as we end up with an exe at the end

I do like AHK_L as it implements a bit more sophisticated programming framework than standard AHK. It is an independent fork of the official AHK framework, but it’s something of an official fork as It’s available on the AutoHotKey site. Here are a few of the highlights that led me to AHK_L, although here I must add a disclaimer*

• Object Oriented Features (although I don’t think it goes so far as to implement inheritance, polymorphism, etc.)
  • Built in support for arrays
  • More sophisticated loops
  • Step through debugging
  • Try..Catch blocks, as well as the ability to throw exceptions.

Download Page

Features of AutoHotKey_L

* To be honest I’ve only used most of these enhanced features in an extremely limited context. I’ve never really built an AHK project that was so complex as to even necessitate these features. It’s nice to know the option is there though. More Power! :)

Having said all of that this project almost certainly wouldn’t necessitate any of these advanced features, so it’s a bit of a moot point. OTOH, it’s exactly like you say, being that we’re compiling to an executable anyway, it probably doesn’t make a lick of difference which version is used (although I'm not sure if it affects the size of the executable or not).

I don't think the executable size is a big issue. They all seem to compress incredibly well with 7 zip and that's what the download is in. Its probably making them smaller because its applying upx. Which is not really a great thing as some virus software flags it and if its downloaded when a user is installing GameEx it could scare them off. So its best they are not upxd.

Wow, I didn't know that AHK scripts were compressed by default, so this was definitely news to me. Thanks for passing along this information Tom. I did a bit of research which leads me to believe that this may be another advantage of using AHK_L (which comes with its own version of the compiler). It looks like AHK_L only supports compression through MPRESS, and even then only if it's present.

AutoHotkey_L v1.0.90.00

November 27th, 2010

In an attempt to solve the anti-virus false positives, I've removed mpress.exe from the installer and have not compressed the other executables. To compress compiled scripts (which also adds a degree of protection), you may need to download MPRESS and place it in the Compiler directory. If you've installed a previous version of AutoHotkey_L, you probably already have mpress.exe.

AutoHotkey_L v1.1.01.00

July 30th, 2011

This also means that Ahk2Exe no longer supports password protection, and supports compression and encryption only through mpress.exe, if it is present. For background information about this change, see this post.

Based on the above it appears that mpress has its own set of similar issues with false positives. So it's probably best to avoid that method of compression as well. It's a bit hard to wade through the information that's out there on this topic, but I believe if you download AutoHotKey_L, and don't explicitly place mpress.exe in the Compiler directory (...\AutoHotkey\Compiler), you should be OK (executables will not be compressed by the compiler). I definitely don't want to spread misinformation though! Does that jive with what other people have seen or experienced?

Alrighty, I tooled around quite a bit with my Steam games this afternoon, and they're all working through GameEx. In the process I managed to upload one more wrapper and a handful of new configs.

Wrapper

• 12220 - Grand Theft Auto Episodes from Liberty City (this one was actually just a copy of the GTA IV wrapper)

Configs

• 32380 - Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
  • 32390 - Star Wars Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith
  • 32400 - Star Wars: Dark Forces
  • 37420 - Ben There, Dan That! (Part of the Time Gentlemen, Please! and Ben There, Dan That! Special Edition Double Pack)

Now if I could just figure out what needs to happen with the wrapper for The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind Game of the Year Edition I'd be in great shape. That one is kicking my arse! :)

I spent more time playing games rather than checking configs :)

Do you have a list of what all you have check, so I can skip them?

It'll be tomorrow evening before I look at any

I don't have morrow wind so don't know what it's like but take a look at the Binding of Isaac wrapper, it was a bit more of a challenge to get going

Hand to use the mouse down, sleep, mouse up approach as the launcher wasn't registering the normal click, not sure if thats any help but its something to keep in mind

• Like 1

I don't have morrow wind so don't know what it's like but take a look at the Binding of Isaac wrapper, it was a bit more of a challenge to get going

Hand to use the mouse down, sleep, mouse up approach as the launcher wasn't registering the normal click, not sure if thats any help but its something to keep in mind

That is actually a great deal of help! I'll give it a go. I was trying ControlClick, MouseClick, Click, and different combinations of control names and mouse coordinates. Finally got tired of messing wtih it! I'll try using MouseDown and MouseUp. Thanks Stu!

Here's the list of games I've tested so far (all the games I've got installed currently). Everything is working just great at this point with the exception of Morrowind (Naturally I've applied any necessary wrappers and/or configs that have been uploaded).

Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY Edition
Ben There, Dan That!
Breath of Death VII
Burnout Paradise The Ultimate Box
Crysis
Cthulhu Saves the World
Deus Ex Game of the Year Edition
Grand Theft Auto 2
Grand Theft Auto Episodes from Liberty City
Grand Theft Auto III
Grand Theft Auto IV
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas