All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Attract Mode Loses Focus

wubble

Your log doesn't show any kind of interaction with Attract Mode at all. :(

When a game lunches in Attract Mode on my machine it puts in an entry, like so:

22:05:53.7 8/31/2012: Running: cmd.exe /c F: F:\Emulators\MAME\mame.exe skyarmy -rompath F:\Emulators\MAME\roms -nowindow -joy -mt -video d3d -mouse -noka -volume -32 -bezel -artpath artworkgameex

Your log doesn't even have any evidence of it doing anything at all, so...

The conditions of this test are that GameEx is started automatically with windows and there is no input from user.

A moment ago I ran the test and Super Sprint started from attract mode - for 5 seconds, before minimizing. Then all I had was a hidden desktop with the windows 7 taskbar.

Thanks to Adultery and anyone considering this problem.

This log definitely shows what happened, but the reason why is not so readily apparent.

01:50:22.7 05/09/2012: Running: cmd.exe /c K: K:\Emulation\MAME\mame64.exe jumping -rompath K:\Emulation\MAME\roms -nowindow -joy -skip_gameinfo

01:50:45.1 05/09/2012: Key/Joy press detected: Exiting Attract mode, closing MAME

So GameEx is detecting some sort of input and exiting Attract Mode. I’ll attempt to duplicate this when I get home tonight. In the meantime, I don’t suppose you can see if the same thing happens on a different machine?

This may be a hardware issue?

Thanks for looking, let me run through what happens

I turn on the machine from cold and eventually:

1 minute passes

01:50:19.6 05/09/2012: Starting Attract Mode

01:50:19.6 05/09/2012: Reading MAME hall of fame

01:50:20.4 05/09/2012: Shutting down display

01:50:20.6 05/09/2012: Setting Up RawInput Hook

01:50:20.7 05/09/2012: Launching RawInputHook.exe

01:50:22.7 05/09/2012: Running: cmd.exe /c K: K:\Emulation\MAME\mame64.exe jumping -rompath K:\Emulation\MAME\roms -nowindow -joy -skip_gameinfo

MAME is either immediately minimised, or I see a few seconds of a MAME game before all I can see is the Windows taskbar.

I press alt-tab

01:50:45.1 05/09/2012: Key/Joy press detected: Exiting Attract mode, closing MAME

I can't quickly install GameEx and some MAME roms onto another machine, it'll take a bit of time to do...

I should clarify that this doesn't happen if GameEx is run manually. I have also made a .bat that delays GameEx from starting on windows startup for a few minutes, but it makes no difference.

I've managed to find and try a different video card in the same setup, it doesn't have this problem.

Problem card: Radeon HD 4650 / Catalyst 12.6

Solution card: Radeon X1800 XT / Catalyst 10.2

I'll mark as resolved as there are more worthy threads.

Edited by Draco1962
This thread is now closed. If the problem re-occurs, please start a new thread.