All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Found a new display issue w/GameExtender

Krakerman

Thanks for sharing. So pretty much an individualized setup since Catalyst Control Panel can only be used if you have an ATI GPU installed. I would imagine it possible with nVidia's CP, but it seems like too much going around one's arse to get to one's elbow for my tastes. :P

Maybe Tom will come up with a simpler unified solution for utilizing more than 2 monitors.

@Draco no prob glad to help! ;)

One can only wish, but from what I could interpret from his post he said my request was and I quote " I so no reason that outputting to a third monitor for GameExtender viewer isnt a valid feature request. " well I don't know how many of you want this feature but the more you all give Tom your feedback on this maybe he will change his mind. If it comes from the GameEx team then he just might add it. Unless of course I just misunderstood his post.

Well for now the work around I found for ATI users will have to do. If any nVidia users out there have a similar work around for GameExtender on those cards then please share it.

Doing it my way is not the most user friendly/novice way .. that's why I requested Tom to add it to GameExtender plus I'm sure it would work much better if Tom added it without having to screwing around with your video card settings, but needless to say it works! :D

One can only wish, but from what I could interpret from his post he said my request was and I quote " I so no reason that outputting to a third monitor for GameExtender viewer isnt a valid feature request. " well I don't know how many of you want this feature but the more you all give Tom your feedback on this maybe he will change his mind. If it comes from the GameEx team then he just might add it. I for one think it's more than a valid request as I have more than 2 monitors running with your GameEx so sorry you feel that way Tom. :(

I could be wrong, and only Tom can say for sure, but I read Tom's post as, " I see no reason that outputting to a third monitor for GameExtender viewer isnt a valid feature request," meaning that it would be a perfectly valid feature request. We all make typos from time to time, and I make more than mai my share. ;)

Like I say, only Tom knows for sure, but it's pretty rare that he ever shuts anyone down outright with no explanation. I think that giving the benefit of the doubt may be in order here. :D

I concur ;) ...I said that in my post as well you might want to re-read it as I updated/removed my comments my friend. I wasn't trying to be mean/or angry so If I had come off that way then I appologise. All I'm trying to do is help and improve GameEx and make it even better.

It's up to Tom if he wants to add it in or not ... I'm just happy I manage to find a way to get it to work on more than 2 monitors and share it with all of my fellow GameEx'ers.

Oh no, you'd be the last person I'd ever expect to be mean about a feature request and/or post out of anger! :) I just wanted to make sure you weren't feeling like you got shot down undeservedly. Sorry about missing your intent there.

A brief anecdote. My previous career was in restaurants. The general rule of thumb in that industry is that of customers that have a bad dining experience, only 8% will ever actually say anything about it to the staff of the restaurant. The rest will just leave, and a significant percentage of those will never return. That's why good restaurants take every complaint or request seriously, since it presents an opportunity for improvement that might otherwise go unnoticed.

Thank you for bringing attention to this issue! :D

By the way, I meant to mention it before, but great job on applying some ingenuity and discovering a handy workaround for the issue!

Thanks!

Well this all started when I got the new video card and found that I can add 3 displays to it and I so happen to have an extra monitor laying around that was going to be perfect for displaying my Future Pinball backglasses on. So on Friday I picked up a Mini Display Port to VGA adapter at Fry's (Love that store) and hooked up the monitor on Friday and fired up Future Pinball and it worked fine, but when I fired up GameEx is when I discovered the issue. So I thought who else to turn to than Tom and the forums. I personally have no patience when I find a problem and want to fix it right away. So I tried about everything under the sun with no success. Then I sat for a moment and thought about what might be happening and then came up with my solution after messing about with the settings a bit and rebooting many times to make sure it works everytime.

At first after I posted my findings and saw Toms reply I scratched my head and thought he couldn't possibly think that isn't a valid request unless of course he doesn't have 3 monitors and finds no use for it for himself, but he has a product that many people all over the world use and everyone has many different configurations and I re-thought about what I posted and took it back as I couldn't possibly believe he meant that way as that would not serve GameEx any justice. So anyways that is the whole story behind how this all came about if you care at all. ;)

I work as a technician and deal with customers all day long some nice and some not so, but found that in the end they are always right as they are the ones paying the bills. So I hear where your coming from.

For now thou as far as I'm concerned I reported it and offered everyone a fix for it in the meantime. We will see where it goes from here.

I guess we can all get hung up on semantics a times. I know in being a tech myself that certain buzzwords carry a distinct meaning to me.

Fix\Patch - Corrects an acknowledged short-coming, error, or malfunction within software.

Workaround - Not a solution to an error or short-coming within software. Usually involves taking steps outside of the documented norm to resume intended function.

Enhancement - Adds increased or additional functionality to an existing feature set.

Feature - A documented capability for software or hardware.

Update - Somewhat vague. Can be any of the above with exception of workaround.

In supporting software, since not all programs (including GameEx :o ) can do all things, you could possibly consider it a feature that it allows for certain workarounds to occur until such time that an acknowledged enhancement is included in a future update to fix a perceived error or shortcoming. :blink:

It is a valid feature request. That is what I meant. It was a double negative meaning a positive :)

Just obviously I don't have time to do everything at once, hence why I didnt just do it and meant its more than feasible for me to do it in the future. Hope that it is OK :)

NO! It's NOT OK! :)

You're a coding guru! Don't tell me you can't do everything at once! Its rubbish!

/me ends gentle prodding

Thanks Tom ... I don't expect it overnight like my friend above ;) but thanks for possibly adding it in a future release.

Edited by Draco1962
This thread is now closed. If the problem re-occurs, please start a new thread.