All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

The surprising, stealth rebirth of the American arcade

Draco1962

Article on ARSTechnica about the "The surprising, stealth rebirth of the American arcade." I think they kinda missed the mark a little. When I see the economy as it is within the U.S., it is very reminiscent of the uncertainty regarding the state of the economy and politics during the early 80's. I love the idea of the classics having a rebirth.

• Like 1

Cool article Draco, Thanks for passing it along!

On the one hand, it’s great to see this sort of resurgence. I know Thomas Wolfe said, “You can never go home again,” but I have to admit walking into one of these places would sure bring back a lot of good memories. This also serves to bring new blood into our little scene, which is also very exciting.

On the other hand, sometimes I think of our scene in terms of la cosa nostra; literally, “this thing of ours.” There’s a certain mystique in belonging to an ‘underground scene’ as it were. Seeing my cool little hobby becoming mainstream is both exhilarating and frustrating. This is a bit of the latter:

I'm buying refurbished machines for $1,500 to $2,000 a pop. New machines with new technology, you're looking at eight to 12 grand

All I can think is, “great, there goes my chance of ever finding a decent old arcade cabinet for a reasonable price.”

This is absolutely brilliant though:

Instead of quarters, ZAP charges customers a $5 door fee that grants unlimited play for the entire day, along with $15 monthly memberships that Darling compared to "going to the gym." The idea is to give parents a place they can feel comfortable leaving their children while they go out and do something on their own. "I don't necessarily want to be a babysitter, but... you can trust kids to be safe here, and they can stay and play."

Wish they had a system like that when I was a kid!