All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] CPWizard use with other emulators??

thurmansevolution

Hello to all! :)

First off, thank you all for all the hard work so far! I have no idea where I would be at if it wasn't for all your help thus far. :)

Now for the question, lol - I've been stuck on something for a little while, and hoping someone can answer this for me, or point me in the right direction (I've been trying to look up this information on the web, but no luck so far).

CPWizard is awesome!! I have it set up for use with MAME right now, and for the past few days, I've been trying to figure out how to also set it up to use with the other emulators (N64, SNES, NES, etc) to where all games in my cab, when chosen, will display the control panel before the game launches. Is this possible? And if so, how do ya set it up?

Thanks in advance!!

LC

I figured it out...took me a few days of the ole' process of elimation lol.

I've already marked this as [RESOLVED], later tonight (or maybe tomorrow), I will set up instructions on here because after searching it for a few days across many websites, I've noticed that quite a few people ask around, but no one seems to want to tell them how to do it...

....like its some kind of ancient secret or something :P lol

I just hope that it helps the ones in need of the info :)

Here are the instructions on how I set up cpwizard to make layouts for use with emulators [other than MAME] in GameEx (lol, and I apologize for any misspellings - drinking a little beer right now ;) )

First, as a warning - if you have a lot of roms that you want to create layouts for, make sure you have some freetime - for this can be a lengthy, teedious process.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

1. Create a folder to store your layouts in any directory you wish...for me, I have it bundled in the emulator's folder where I keep subfolders for Roms, Artwork, "emulator"...and I name it "Controls"

2. Make sure that GameEx looks at this folder by opening the Setup Wizard under "Advanced Emulator Setup" and lead the path of the control layout to the folder you created to store your layouts.

3. Open CPWizard. Select File --> New

4. Insert an image of your custom control panel, or "build" a digital layout with the image options they use for buttons, joysticks, etc. Also, when you are ready to label your buttons that you have mapped for the emulators, insert new labels and customize what letters the buttons represents....e.g. "A", "B", L1" etc... (If you also wish to add graphics of controllers, logos - these can be found under add image :) )

5. After you are finished creating your layout, first click on File --> Save As and save it as an .ini to ensure that you won't lose your information. Then, click on File --> Export ---> Layout and save it as a .png in the folder you created to store your controls.

6. Minimize or close CPWizard. Open the folder you created to store your control layouts (.png). Also, open the folder that stores all the rom files that you wish to link with these layouts. Place each open folder (window) side by side, as there is going to possible be a lot of copying and pasting in the next step depending on the amount of rom files you have. Make copies of the layout (png) for as many roms as you have, or as many as you wish to link through GameEx.

7. In order for GameEx to link the layout with the rom, both rom file and layout must have the same file name! The easiest way to do this, is right click the rom, go to "rename", copy the highlighted text...then right click the layout, go to "rename", then "paste". This will ensure that both files will have the same name, also it is much quicker than manually typing in each and every name.

8. Test your hard work out by opening GameEx, then to the emulator, open a game, and sit back as the control panel layout you created will appear a little while before the game launches. This process also works for PC games you set up through emulator setup in Setup Wizard.

As a final note - Please DO NOT use this process for MAME games - CPWizard does this automatically when you first set it up. This is for only OTHER emulators.

If you have any questions or comments, please always feel free to send me a message.

Thanks! and I hope this helps! :)

LC

Edited by Draco1962
This thread is marked as Resolved and is now closed. If the problem re-occurs, please start a new thread.
  • Like 3