All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Database request if plausible...

IMBerzerk

In my infinite desire to drive myself past the brink of utter insanity... I've been playing with db's again. My ultime desire is to link as many console clones to original arcade games... meaning... games that were not licensed to use the real arcade game name, but were a best version of the game for that console. example...

Intellivision's "Space Armada"... is their obvious version of Bally/Midway's "Space Invaders".

The only way I am able to link the two is to change Space Armada to Space Invaders... which then allows the link to the arcade, plus any other console clones of Space Invaders. I don't want to do this...

What would be great is to create another column called 'clone' and add in the actual name of the game it's cloning, which then could be linked to the actual games on other console.... so...

For Space Armada, it will link to Space Invaders, and display all the other clones and licensed versions on other systems... like Alien Invaders on Channel F, Space Invaders on Atari 2600.. and so on...

Is this something that can be done, or is already an option I simply have not figured out yet..

Thanks.

IMB

• Like 2

It's think its just a limitation of the current database content. Until somebody goes through and specifies that 'this game' matches 'that game', it's just going to have be limited by exact matching names.

What would be great is to create another column called 'clone' and add in the actual name of the game it's cloning, which then could be linked to the actual games on other console.... so...

I also like this idea, although if I may be so bold I would suggest that the additional column should be called 'Parent' in order to avoid any confusion. As described here the column does not contain a clone, but rather the parent of the referenced game which is itself a clone. Just a suggestion.

Nice idea IMB!

i would like to contribute to this database-project, but i dont understand what the real problem is. there is a thread

as far as i understand this, there is a problem with the editor for the databases, but i can be wrong. it would be nice, if someone with "knowledge" could explain how other users could help to make this dream come true :D

i really would like to help.

id also like to help but im like u-man and new to it.

I use M$ Access to edit all my databases, but there is other free editor's out there. I agree, "Parent" would be a better choice, just brainstorming, I thought of 'clone'... but it is the parent.

What would it take to make this happen? Is it in the database, or the way GameEx reads/references the databases?

Hansolo,

I tried this already, with several games, but the only way to make it work is to change the first colmn to match the MAME parent... which of course changes the name of the game displayed in your list... so for example... my Intellivision game "Space Armada" gets changed to "Space Invaders"... it then shows the MAME parent "Space Invaders" ... but... that's not the real name of the Intellivision game... so the authenticity is lost.

Another great example would be Odessy2's "K.C. Muncher" which is a port of "Pac-Man"... how cool would it be to link the two so that it displayed the MAME video.

Thanks Tom... :)

I think that option will be one we're going to have a lot of fun with. I know I am definately looking forward to it. :)

I will keep an eye out for it and begin to modify all my posted databases to reflect the new changes when it's ready.

IMB

Shit is that gonna screw up my Game Info plugin? It shouldn't right?

Visualizer.GameData.Manufacturer = Info.GameData.Developer

Does that CloneOf data flow through InfoPTR too under Mame_Info then?

• 2 weeks later...

Tom, thanks. I pulled down the file and as soon as I get home from vacation (9 days), I'll load it and let you know how it goes.

IMB

Edited by Draco1962
This thread is now closed. If the problem re-occurs, please start a new thread.