All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED]MAME Cabinet BLUE PRINTS NEED

scabman

Im looking to build a MAME Cabinet. My biggest problem right now is that i live in a aptment and there isnt alot of room. I have looked all ovver the internet for blue prints to make a stand up MAME cabinet but my problem is that there all so big. I want one that is the height of a normal arcade machine but not as wide(from the wall) Does any one no of a looking Cabinet that is skinny. The machine also needs to be able to hold the x-arcade dual controller.

I would suggest looking at the Build Your Own Arcade Controls forum as there are quite a few ideas/plans for the DIYer. You may also want to consider the Xtension Arcade kits which are also fairly popular. reasonably priced, and scaled for the X-Arcade Dual and Tankstick.

Nvr really liked the look of a bar top..plus that means i have to pick it up and put it away everrytime i want to use it...hey if it was my choose i would have a full size arcade but the fience would have my head

I think that the word you are looking for is 'cabaret'.

I googled 'mame cabaret cabinet plans' and had quite a few hits. I didn't check out any of the links though.

Good luck in your search.

You can try to build a cocktail cab. It was one of the first cabs that I was going to build, but later settled for the four player standard "jumbo" sized arcade monster when I gained more room lol.

One of the good things about a cocktail cab is that you can also use it as a table or a "conversational piece" lol ;).

I think I still have the schematics for the cocktail cabinet somewhere - if you are interested, please let me know and I'll send ya the plans.

I would love to have the cocktail table blueprints. I had first thought about making one of those.( I watching a show and saw one about 3 months ago and since then ive been wanting a arcade machine)The only problem with the cocktail table is it really is friendly for a lot of Mult-player games...plus i have a x-arcade dual joysticks set up whch is 2 feet long so i would need a stand up machine

I built mine with this type of idea. I had to gain approval from my wife before my build. I wanted something that I could play out in my main man cave area, but the wife wanted it to be stored mainly in the workout room. This presented a slight complication as the doorway was like 30" wide for the exercise room. I ended up using a 32" LCD TV as the monitor. It is about 36" wide total. My depth is where it gets a little weird. I made the control panel completely removable. This took some time, because I had to find nice locking pieces to secure the panel to the cabinet. I ended up using two things that are basically what you would use to secure your patio door at the top. It worked awesome. That way I could remove the control panel if I needed it to be thinner or leave it on if I didn't. Now it can be moved through doorways without issue if the control panel is off. I used a book called "Project Arcade." [www.projectarcade.com] You should be able to pick it up at any bookstore, it's also on the nook (which is where I snagged it). I might recommend a hard copy though, as it was somewhat hard to manage when I was building and using my ipad as the nook.

If I had to do it over again.. I might go with the cocktail though. I didn't know much about visual pinball and future pinball when I built my upright. I still like the desktop versions (which is what you want mainly if using in an upright) of the tables, but it would be slick in a cocktail cab with another monitor above maybe. Also, the cocktail cab can serve as a table when not in use. Which might be nice for a space saver in an apartment. Push it up against the wall and eat dinner on it... I have no plans or blue prints for mine. I really just built mine from the ground up loosing using other plans in the book I mentioned. In the end, if you really want something that suits you... you may just have to grab a pencil and some paper and start drawing out some ideas. The main things are the two sides.. then just how you secure your monitor.. I just built a 2x4 box basically and stuck the monitor inside of it.. then I screwed the sides to the 2x4's around the monitor and my base at the bottom.

Update: I saw your multiplayer question on the cocktail.. I have never really seen one that incorporates 4 players and looks decent. I love my upright in this aspect, because I built a 4 player control panel. When the buddies come over, we NBA JAM it up.. not sure if it would be as cool sitting down at a cocktail table. When you slam one down hard on your buddy you sometimes want to run around the room a little and talk about it!! haha

• Like 1

A few things that really worked well in gaining approval from my wife were:

- Get the games she loved too....

- The karaoke option

- The arcade jukebox.. then it's basically turned into an entertainment system for the family! dw jukebox!

My wife is a great person but not overly enthusiastic about the "other woman" aka "arcade stuff" all the time. But she knows I am and that eventually I will need to build something. I have settled for an HTPC setup and will likely use Rec Room Masters version of a cocktail cabinet.

The dimensions are great:

• Dimensions: 25.5" W x 30" D x 30" H (As Table) or 46" H (With Monitor Upright)
  • Cabinet Inside: 14.5" W x 23.75" D x 29.5" H
  • Weight: 86 lbs
  • 3/4" black melamine
  • C&C cut & manufactured
  • Black T-Mold and black hardware

I already have a Tankstick, have a monitor to put in the frame as my second monitor, and will need to purchase some 1080p goodness to wall mount above. I will likely mod the base of the cab for mobility (casters) as well as remove the door and extend the shelf area for console and HTPC storage.

My (now ex) wife never really approved of any kind of arcade - as you can clearly see though, she is now "ex wife" lol ;). I'm just glad, and lucky, that my gf is in full support and loves the arcade project I'm working on - she's into nerds, which is totally cool by me...she is into the arcade so much that I joke with her sometimes that if me an her ever split, we would have to treat the arcade machine like a custody issue - I will have primary custody, she will have it every other weekend, two weeks during the summer, etc.. lol :P

Anyway, here is a link that I think may help with different plans. I was unable to find my old blueprints for the cocktail cabinet, but this is the site that I got them from:

http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade_cabinet_plans.shtml

This site also has plans for the original LuSiD's design - if you are wanting a smaller version of an upright arcade, you can customize it a little to fit your needs. I would recommend the cocktail cabinet though - as mentioned above, it will allow you to use it also as a table top, beer holder, etc.

The important thing to remember is that when building an arcade, you have the freedom to customize it however you would like to suit your needs :).

Also... when you build it yourself, it's more work, and can sometimes balloon into a much larger project than expected. Take a look on the I-net, depending where you live, you might have someone withing driving distance that has a warehouse full of old machines. THere are a lot of guys that do this stuff now. Even pawn shops... but having an 'old classic' cleaned up and in show condition is ALWAYS an attention grabber at parties and get-togethers. Plus owning an oldie is fun and it keeps the project within the spectrum of the cabinet itself.

As cool as it would to have a retro cabinet...1. I dont have that kind of money to buy the cabinet 2. I need something that wont take up much room

But when i was checking out one of the sites that someone had mentioned i acually came apond a really nice one that "Knievel Woody". Which is a AMAZING piece of work but it is also the slimmest one i have found from all plans so i think im going to build this...with a few mods to it since i only have the side plans to.

http://knievel.webs.com/thewoody.htm

I'll also going to look that book up-Project Arcade. i defently think that will help me alot

Another thing thou is I was wondering if anyone has done/saw a cabinet were the joystick acually folds into the cabinet itself for storage...cause I already know the women is going to make me put in the closet when not in use so if anyone has ideas on how to do that that would help too.

Thanks again everyone for the helpful hints on stuff!

I don't know about a fold-up CP, but, if you search the web, you can probably find plans for a modular CP that you can modify. Also, since you have the Xarcade Dual, you can modify your plans to where deck can be removed when not in use.

Edited by Draco1962
This thread is now marked as Resolved and has been closed. If the problem re-occurs, please start a new thread.