All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

screensaver demo mode - possible to limit repeats?

laggerific

Just wondering if there is a way to limit repeats while running in demo/screensaver mode? Sometimes it feels like it's just cycling through 30 different games, but I'd really like it to repeat none of them, at least for a given startup...is that possible?

You may need to look in the Setup Wizard under the Attract/Screensaver settings and play a bit. It might help to know how you currently have it setup. much depends on if you are only playing from your favorites or from all games available. If you only have 30 games selected as Favorites and the setting is for Favorites only, then it will seem like it is only selecting from 30 games. :)

Mine doesn't really repeat too many games AFAIK... But its possible I just never noticed it. :)

I do have it playing from my favorites, but that has hundreds of games. And I notice mainly because my cabinet sits next to my TV, so within a 2 hour time frame I've seen the same game play more than 2 sometimes 3 or more times.

Do you have the emulators with favorites on the list enabled for attract mode? Is it all MAME games?

OK so you're sure then that you have all the emulators enabled to show in screensaver that are in that list in the advanced emulator settings (I think there's a section there right? I'm not 100% sure)?

It sounds like a bug if so. Tom may need to look into it.

You may want to try to isolate it to just your MAME games to test it out. It is possible that there may be a limiter as to how many games it can actually draw from the favorites. As Adultery noted, it may be a bug, but if you have quite a few MAME faves, it may help to know if you are seeing quite as many repeats. If not a bug, it may be a feature request to add to the functionality of the settings to randomize and select the loaded emulators from which it pulls the faves from.

I have the various emulators that I want included in the screensaver configured to show up. I can certainly limit which emulators show up to help troubleshoot this, but I find that it seems to repeat the MAME games far more than any of the consoles. I'm trying to think if it really has repeated the console games, but I can't think of any repeats that I recall.

I was hoping to find out whether there was a setting to have it keep a list of all games it's played and only play those that aren't on the list. That said, I'd be willing to request the feature, if it isn't already built in, because I would love to see something new every time I look at the screen.